List of D&D worlds and settings

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

Re: List of D&D worlds and settings

Postby Bonetti » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:22 am

Short form: WoW the RPG updated Warcraft the RPG to incorporate changes (and new development) from the MMO, and shifts from "licensed WotC product" (built on 3.5 PHB) to OGL.

WoW adds: PC races: gnome, troll (jungle), undead (forsaken); classes: Arcanist: Mage, Necromancer, Warlock, Barbarian, Hunter, Paladin, Rogue, Scout, Tinker, Warrior, Multi-Class; prestige classes: Archmage of Kirin Tor, Berserker, Duelist, Fel-Sworn

WoW adjusts: classes: Healer broken into three subclasses (Druid, Priest, Shaman); prestige classes: renames Horde Assassin to Assassin, and reworks Druid of the Wild, Hunter, Paladin Warrior, Priest, Shaman, Warlock as classes

WoW subtracts: PC races: half-elf, half-orc

By switching to OGL, they made the game standalone (and increased the size of the new book significantly) rather than a patch on the PHB. The magic was significantly updated as well.

The world information is updated to reflect the changes made to Azeroth's geography between Warcraft 3 and WoW (there are map changes as stuff was moved around to accommodate the zone design -- no lore associated with moving Razorfen around the Barrens, it was zap and "it's always been in the new location"). Both books are at roughly the same point of history (end of the Warcraft 3 expansion The Frozen Throne).

(I can't speak to the rest of the WoW the RPG line as I only have the main book and More Magic & Mayhem.)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Azaghal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Bonetti wrote:Short form: WoW the RPG updated Warcraft the RPG to incorporate changes (and new development) from the MMO, and shifts from "licensed WotC product" (built on 3.5 PHB) to OGL.

WoW adds: PC races: gnome, troll (jungle), undead (forsaken); classes: Arcanist: Mage, Necromancer, Warlock, Barbarian, Hunter, Paladin, Rogue, Scout, Tinker, Warrior, Multi-Class; prestige classes: Archmage of Kirin Tor, Berserker, Duelist, Fel-Sworn

WoW adjusts: classes: Healer broken into three subclasses (Druid, Priest, Shaman); prestige classes: renames Horde Assassin to Assassin, and reworks Druid of the Wild, Hunter, Paladin Warrior, Priest, Shaman, Warlock as classes

WoW subtracts: PC races: half-elf, half-orc

By switching to OGL, they made the game standalone (and increased the size of the new book significantly) rather than a patch on the PHB. The magic was significantly updated as well.

The world information is updated to reflect the changes made to Azeroth's geography between Warcraft 3 and WoW (there are map changes as stuff was moved around to accommodate the zone design -- no lore associated with moving Razorfen around the Barrens, it was zap and "it's always been in the new location"). Both books are at roughly the same point of history (end of the Warcraft 3 expansion The Frozen Throne).

(I can't speak to the rest of the WoW the RPG line as I only have the main book and More Magic & Mayhem.)

Thanks Bonetti, that's what I was wondering about.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:15 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Warcraft RPG (but not World of Warcraft RPG) was an official Dungeons & Dragons product. Are you going to include Azeroth?

I guess I have to!

My work here is done! Mwah! Mwah! Mwah! Mwah! :lol:

<thinks>
I wonder if I should tell him about D&D Diablo now...or leave it for a bit. :twisted:
</thinks>

Azaghal wrote:
Bonetti wrote:
Azaghal wrote:Nice find Big Mac, do we know how different it is from WOW?

WoW the RPG or WoW the MMO?

(Well, I can probably answer "yes" in both cases, although that's more of a "yes, I can go through the books and compare" rather than "I already have a list".)

In this case the RPG would be more relevant (and what I meant)

In Ripvanwormer's terms: Warcraft RPG was published with a D&D licence deal with WotC using the 3.0 ruleset and World of Warcraft RPG was published under the d20STL (or maybe just the OGL) using the 3.5 ruleset.

From what I hear the namechange was partly to cash in on the increasing popularity of the MMO, although Bonetti should be able to tell you if the era of Warcraft RPG was closer to era of Warcraft computer games and the era of World of Warcraft RPG was closer to the era of the World of Warcraft MMO.

Personally, I quite like the split, as it helps you work out which books are published under which set of rules. You don't get that sort of distinction with 3.0 and 3.5 Forgotten Realms books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Bonetti » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:In Ripvanwormer's terms: Warcraft RPG was published with a D&D licence deal with WotC using the 3.0 ruleset and World of Warcraft RPG was published under the d20STL (or maybe just the OGL) using the 3.5 ruleset.

Might want to double-check that. The back cover of my copy of the Warcraft RPG book explicitly states it requires the 3.5 PHB (which doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't a 3.0 license at the time of development). I haven't gone through the rules with a fine-toothed comb to see if the difference is noticeable.

(Hopefully, someone's already done that -- I'd rather not spend the time doing so :-) )

Big Mac wrote:From what I hear the namechange was partly to cash in on the increasing popularity of the MMO, although Bonetti should be able to tell you if the era of Warcraft RPG was closer to era of Warcraft computer games and the era of World of Warcraft RPG was closer to the era of the World of Warcraft MMO.

In the game world, they're the same era -- both are post Warcraft 3 (computer game) and contemporaneous with (original launch) World of Warcraft MMO. The primary difference is that the Warcraft RPG books are extrapolated from the Warcraft 3 maps, and in turn were used to help build the later WoW MMO. Some map changes were dictated by the needs of the zones in the MMO, and those are incorporated into WoW the RPG.

As noted, though, I'm also pretty sure that the name change was due in part to the shift in branding. The larger distinction between the two is that WoW the RPG is OGL-based and departs further from the base D&D rules than Warcraft the RPG did (and is no longer a direct licensee of Wizards with a D&D logo on the books).

(And I just want to say that I wish they hadn't changed the name, constantly distinguishing WoW the RPG from WoW the MMO hurts readability almost as much as not bothering with the distinction...)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Bonetti wrote:(And I just want to say that I wish they hadn't changed the name, constantly distinguishing WoW the RPG from WoW the MMO hurts readability almost as much as not bothering with the distinction...)

I personally think that (on The Piazza) we should always assume that people are talking about RPGs. So when we want to talk about the World of Warcraft MMO and the World of Warcraft RPG, it should be the MMO that has to be specified.

This might not be so appropriate outside the actual World of Warcraft forum, where the context of a thread title (or first post) makes it clear that someone wants to talk about raiding the MMO to put things into a campaign setting other than World of Warcraft (or one of our more "silly" threads).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:43 am

I finally updated this, adding Azeroth, Ghyr and Thunder Rift (under Mystara), various worlds from Paul Westermeyer's list, and Qua-Nosham.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Ghul » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:37 am

Great work!

In Castle Zagyg: The East Mark Gazetteer, we used the term "Urth" for the world that supports the East Mark micro-setting, which features Yggsburgh and Castle Zagyg. :)

Cheers,
Jeff T.
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea: A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy. For updates please visit our facebook page.
Ghul
Orc

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:20 pm

I added another world to the list: Telmar.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 am

If you are going for settings which are related to D&D, then the entry for the Hyborian Age (not Hyperborian as you wrote) is related to D&D via two AD&D modules: Conan Unchained!, and Conan Against Darkness!
The modules you report are for the TSR Conan game, which was not (A)D&D. But Red Sonja Unconquered was also AD&D.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:05 pm

rip wrote:Westeros
The setting of George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire." Dragon #305.

Neat. I wasn't aware that Dragon had material on the setting, so I'll have to check that issue out.

I've been re-reading the books lately (in preparation for diving into the latest book) and find myself often thinking that the world Martin has created could possibly make a fun campaign setting. There are so many hints and references to other nations and cultures outside of Westeros that we might have a fairly solid base to build a larger world upon.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:05 pm

There's a speculative expanded map of the world of Westeros here.

I also did some cleanup in Hyborian Earth as per Rabindranath's corrections, and fixed some confusion regarding the Nightworld from Polyhedron #114 and the Nightworld of Vlad Tolenkov (they're actually the same place, but neither is in Darkspace). Also added bits from Polyhedrons #112, #113, #115, and #116.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:There's a speculative expanded map of the world of Westeros here.

Thanks for the map, I hadn't seen that before. Very cool! I wish they would provide those maps in the books as well so that it would be easier to keep track of where Dany was.

Have there been any attempts by various gaming companies to create a setting based on this world?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 pm

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Chimpman wrote:

Neat. I wasn't aware that Dragon had material on the setting, so I'll have to check that issue out.

I've been re-reading the books lately (in preparation for diving into the latest book) and find myself often thinking that the world Martin has created could possibly make a fun campaign setting. There are so many hints and references to other nations and cultures outside of Westeros that we might have a fairly solid base to build a larger world upon.

That material is quite interesting. I run a quite long campaign therein, and it worked quite well.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby NPCDave » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 pm

how about the world of Arcanis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanis

Also Paizo's Golarion
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:48 am

NPCDave wrote:how about the world of Arcanis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanis

Also Paizo's Golarion

Well, neither of those are D&D as such. Arcanis was d20 system originally, later for the Arcanis RPG, and Golarion was OGL, later Pathfinder. This is kind of a crazy, inconsistent list, but it's meant for worlds either published by TSR/WotC or licensed by TSR/WotC to have the D&D logo on them, just because there are so many d20/OGL fantasy worlds that an already long list would be truly enormous if I opened it up further. If I were going to make a list of d20/OGL worlds (or fantasy RPG worlds in general), I'd start a new thread, and probably limit it to actually fully-developed campaign settings rather than worlds that are only briefly named in obscure D&D sources.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:46 am

rabindranath72 wrote:
Chimpman wrote:

That material is quite interesting. I run a quite long campaign therein, and it worked quite well.

We have a thread for A Song of Ice and Fire and it is possible that, one day, we will eventually have enough threads for a subforum. :D

I've got to say that I do like these worlds that have been given some sort of rubber stamp by TSR or WotC and then taken away, but brought back by someone else.

I find it especially interesting when they came back as 3rd party d20 System settings, as that has meant a world has had both a D&D stamp and a full blown conversion that is compatible with D&D rules. Even if you don't want to play with 3e rules, the 3e write up (compared to the 3e core rules) must give you an idea of how to adjust a pre-3e core to achive the same effect.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:32 am

Correction to the above list: The Westeros setting for 3E was presented in Dragon #307, not 305.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Ostar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07 pm

I have a few overlooked worlds and/or crystal spheres that were in TSR products and publications from the 1990s.

Theiaspace (crystal sphere) and Theia (world). Theia is under an illithid blockade, with "freedom fighters" on the planet. Sources: The Legend of the Spelljammer: (Ships and Captains) p26, (Legends and Lore) pp4-5.

Sreen (world). Sreen is a planet in chaos. During a war, mages on both sides opened too many planar gates and the world is now overrun by monsters. Sources: SJR1 Lost Ships, p24.

Sydia (world). Source: The Legend of the Spelljammer: Legends and Lore, p6.

Rollthunder (world). Sources: The Legend of the Spelljammer: Legends and Lore, p4. Every time the Spelljammer appears in the night skies of this world, the humans go mad with fear, and civilizations collapse in fire, rioting, and war. This has happened a number of times. Probably an homage to the classic Science Fiction story “Nightfall”.

Ambereye (world). A dead world. Source: SJR1 Lost Ships, p16.

Homespace (Crystal sphere). Source: The Legend of the Spelljammer (Ships and Captains), p37. A human NPC is a "spaceborne warrior from the Land of Kasros".

Deadsun (Crystal Sphere). Source: SJA1 Lost Ships, p18. "Dark, silent."

Calotian (Crystal Sphere). Source: Dragon Magazine #159, p18. It has an asteroid belt, and saw fighting in the Unhuman Wars.
Last edited by Ostar on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostar
Goblin

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:55 am

Good catches, Ostar!
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby willpell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 pm

OMG this is amazing! It should be stickied or something.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby lostanddamned » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Looking through, it's a pretty good list, yeah I notice Diablo's II world not listed, but did it even get a name?

As for settings, I can't help but notice that 'The Vale' from the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure game (1999) and it's two free fastplay downloads and two published fastplay modules appears to by missing, I know it's a smaller location then say Thunder Rift, but's it's still an offical D&D location which was published more then once....
Damned until Death.

My not so frequent blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/
lostanddamned
Orc

Postby willpell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Bonetti wrote:WoW adjusts: classes: Healer broken into three subclasses (Druid, Priest, Shaman)

Because that is clearly what the most brokenly powerful class in the Miniatures Handbook needed to rein it in. :roll:
willpell
White Dragon

Postby RobJN » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:39 pm

lostanddamned wrote:Looking through, it's a pretty good list, yeah I notice Diablo's II world not listed, but did it even get a name?

As for settings, I can't help but notice that 'The Vale' from the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure game (1999) and it's two free fastplay downloads and two published fastplay modules appears to by missing, I know it's a smaller location then say Thunder Rift, but's it's still an offical D&D location which was published more then once....

Wasn't the wider world from Diablo called "Sanctuary"?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby willpell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:06 pm

RobJN wrote:
lostanddamned wrote:Looking through, it's a pretty good list, yeah I notice Diablo's II world not listed, but did it even get a name?

Wasn't the wider world from Diablo called "Sanctuary"?

Correct.
willpell
White Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds