Anyone know anything about Aquaria?

Quest for the lost city of Empyrea in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria Setting.
The Book-House: Find Aquaria products.

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Anyone know anything about Aquaria?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:12 am

Night Druid mentioned Aquaria in a post in a thread called Which settings? in the AD&D 1st Edition forum:
night_druid wrote:Could make a case for Aquaria (sp?), although it was never given a true setting book.
I can't find much useful information online about Aquaria.

Wikipedia's article for Frank Mentzer says that the RPGA modules R1-R10 were set there. And there were some people discussing Aquaria (in circles) on WotC's forums.

Can anyone tell me anything more about Aquaria? Is there an Aquaria homepage anywhere?

EDIT: "[Aquaria]" tag added, per request by Havard. But I will remove this, if and when we get an Aquaria forum.

EDIT2: "[Aquaria]" tag removed. Yay!
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Re: Anyone know anything about Aquaria?

Post by Azaghal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:15 am

Aquaria IIRC is Frank Mentzer's homeworld, and there was some talk of publication. Check Mystara forums I think.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:20 am

Frank Mentzer will send you the files he has on Aquaria if you ask him through a PM on Dragonsfoot. :)

Frank has been busy with family affairs for a while now, but his posts of today indicate that things are about to change and that he is getting ready to get something published.

Aquaria is a continent, originally placed on Oerth (Greyhawk), but I think Frank will now be presenting it as an independent setting. Unlike Greyhawk, Aquaria uses the cosmology of the BECMI ruleset, similar to that of Mystara, with Immortals etc.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:35 am

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:31 am

*sings*

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquaria, the Age of Aquaria

"You have now entered the 5th Dimension... and are face to face with its worst nightmare... a Parody!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k820TcYk ... re=related
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Azaghal wrote:Aquaria IIRC is Frank Mentzer's homeworld, and there was some talk of publication. Check Mystara forums I think.
You are right Aquiria is Frank Mentzer's home campaign setting. I figure it must be like his version of Blackmoor, and that he must have created a ton of homebrew over the years.

What would that thread be doing in Mystara? Was Havard trying to hijack it or is there a canon connection?
Havard wrote:Frank Mentzer will send you the files he has on Aquaria if you ask him through a PM on Dragonsfoot. :)
I don't know if I've even got an account on Dragonsfoot, but I'd feel like a troll signing up just to ask for him to email me. :?

Is there a Dragonsfoot thread that has information about Aquaria?
Havard wrote:Frank has been busy with family affairs for a while now, but his posts of today indicate that things are about to change and that he is getting ready to get something published.

Aquaria is a continent, originally placed on Oerth (Greyhawk), but I think Frank will now be presenting it as an independent setting. Unlike Greyhawk, Aquaria uses the cosmology of the BECMI ruleset, similar to that of Mystara, with Immortals etc.
Well, if this setting can be brought back from limbo, that would be a great thing.

As for cosmology, I'd rather go with what the creator prefers, than shoehorn everything into The Great Wheel. I don't have BECMI, so maybe I might use the Dark Dungeons cosmology.
ripvanwormer wrote:Here's a wiki article.
It sounds like New Empyrea has a similar relationship to Greyhawk that Blackmoor does. It seems to be Aquaria with the serial numbers filed off. The Great Library of Greyhawk article only seems to mention the low numbered R modules, while Wikipedia suggests that all 10 are connected to Aquaria. Does The Great Library of Greyhawk recognise RPGA modules (that have not been reprinted) as source material?

If Frank Mentzer is going to bring back Aquaria, it will be interesting to see what is the same and what is different.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:08 pm

Big Mac wrote:
I don't know if I've even got an account on Dragonsfoot, but I'd feel like a troll signing up just to ask for him to email me. :?
I've PM'ed Frank asking him about this, and also asking about any maps that have been made for the setting.
I'll keep you posted.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:[It sounds like New Empyrea has a similar relationship to Greyhawk that Blackmoor does. It seems to be Aquaria with the serial numbers filed off.
Well, R1-R4 don't have the serial numbers filed off of anything. They're the modules as Frank Mentzer wrote them, and there's no indication that he held anything back. He doesn't give the territory a name in those modules, but Doc's Island includes an extensive history connecting that territory to Greyhawk.

The Egg of the Phoenix supermodule did have the serial numbers filed off to some extent. Paul Jaquays became involved as co-author in compiling R1-R4 into a single softcover volume, and a lot of new material was added (including one drastic plot twist). Meanwhile, all explicit connections to the World of Greyhawk were removed. The name "New Empyrea" comes from there, and I used it in the Great Library wiki for lack of any other official name for that territory. It was Mentzer who invented the name "Empyrea" to describe the now-lost capital of that kingdom.

I'm sure Frank Mentzer has developed his campaign setting a lot more since he wrote R1-R4, but I think the region described in those modules is still recognizably the same place. The Paul Jaquays canon, however, may have twisted things somewhat.

Greyhawk's Blackmoor isn't "Blackmoor with the serial numbers filed off," either. It's for the most part a different country with little relationship to Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. I wouldn't compare Greyhawk's Archbarony of Blackmoor - a nation invented by Gary Gygax with a few homages to Dave Arneson's campaign, then fleshed out by Fred Weining with a few more - to the fallen kingdom described in R1-R4, which is Frank Mentzer's campaign as he described and intended it.

The Egg of the Phoenix stuff, yeah, that's kind of another kettle of worms, but I added it to the wiki article because the Great Library of Greyhawk is by necessity more concerned with published canon than trying to distill a creator's original vision to its assumed purest form.
The Great Library of Greyhawk article only seems to mention the low numbered R modules, while Wikipedia suggests that all 10 are connected to Aquaria. Does The Great Library of Greyhawk recognize RPGA modules (that have not been reprinted) as source material?
For the most part, RPGA modules are only considered canon if they've been published by TSR/WotC. The seemingly endless mass of Living Greyhawk modules are considered apocryphal because they're creator-owned and hard to get (and the whole Living Greyhawk campaign conflicts to some degree with the Paizohawk stuff that was coming out simultaneously, which are canon).

The first four modules in the R-series were published by TSR, so they should all be considered canonical. Polyhedron is normally considered a canon source because it was a TSR publication, so R-5 and R-6 should be considered canonical (I'll have to look at these). The Quest for the Dwarven Rod of Seven Parts looks dubious; if I had any way of finding them, I'd include them in the wiki as apocryphal sources.

As far as I know, they were all set in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria campaign, but I don't know, personally. I guess someone could ask Frank Mentzer!

Update: I just checked. "The Great Bugbear Hunt" is set in and near NewFord, which is an Aquarian town.

"The 384th Incarnation of Bigby's Tomb"... it'd be difficult to classify that as canon due to its extremely divergent interpretation of Bigby. I don't see anything in it that ties it to Aquaria, or anywhere else (except the presence of Bigby; if this was the Bigby of the Circle of Eight, it would place this adventure in the Flanaess).

Honestly, I didn't mention them in the Great Library wiki article because I didn't know about them.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Azaghal wrote:Aquaria IIRC is Frank Mentzer's homeworld, and there was some talk of publication. Check Mystara forums I think.
You are right Aquiria is Frank Mentzer's home campaign setting. I figure it must be like his version of Blackmoor, and that he must have created a ton of homebrew over the years.
Well, he has been running his home campaign there for a long time so you are probably right about that... :)
What would that thread be doing in Mystara? Was Havard trying to hijack it or is there a canon connection?

As mentioned Aquaria uses the BECMI cosmology so that would be the connection :)
Well, I have the files, but Im not going to pass them along without his permission.
Is there a Dragonsfoot thread that has information about Aquaria?
I think Frank's Q&A threads would be your best bet.
Well, if this setting can be brought back from limbo, that would be a great thing.
Definately! :)
If Frank Mentzer is going to bring back Aquaria, it will be interesting to see what is the same and what is different.
Some things I have picked up from Frank's posts:

* Uses the BECMI planar structure (Planes, Dimensions etc)
* Has Immortals instead of Gods
* Universe has many solar systems and galaxies
* The conflict between Technology(Tek) and Magic is a central theme

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 pm

Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I've PM'ed Frank asking him about this, and also asking about any maps that have been made for the setting.
I'll keep you posted.
I'd love to see you (and others) doing some maps for Aquaria.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It sounds like New Empyrea has a similar relationship to Greyhawk that Blackmoor does. It seems to be Aquaria with the serial numbers filed off.
Well, R1-R4 don't have the serial numbers filed off of anything. They're the modules as Frank Mentzer wrote them, and there's no indication that he held anything back. He doesn't give the territory a name in those modules, but Doc's Island includes an extensive history connecting that territory to Greyhawk.
I would guess that Frank Mentzer's new Aquaria stuff would gloss over that link.
ripvanwormer wrote:The Egg of the Phoenix supermodule did have the serial numbers filed off to some extent. Paul Jaquays became involved as co-author in compiling R1-R4 into a single softcover volume, and a lot of new material was added (including one drastic plot twist). Meanwhile, all explicit connections to the World of Greyhawk were removed. The name "New Empyrea" comes from there, and I used it in the Great Library wiki for lack of any other official name for that territory. It was Mentzer who invented the name "Empyrea" to describe the now-lost capital of that kingdom.

I'm sure Frank Mentzer has developed his campaign setting a lot more since he wrote R1-R4, but I think the region described in those modules is still recognizably the same place. The Paul Jaquays canon, however, may have twisted things somewhat.
Either way, I guess this will be very useful to Greyhawk fans.
ripvanwormer wrote:Greyhawk's Blackmoor isn't "Blackmoor with the serial numbers filed off," either. It's for the most part a different country with little relationship to Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. I wouldn't compare Greyhawk's Archbarony of Blackmoor - a nation invented by Gary Gygax with a few homages to Dave Arneson's campaign, then fleshed out by Fred Weining with a few more - to the fallen kingdom described in R1-R4, which is Frank Mentzer's campaign as he described and intended it.

The Egg of the Phoenix stuff, yeah, that's kind of another kettle of worms, but I added it to the wiki article because the Great Library of Greyhawk is by necessity more concerned with published canon than trying to distill a creator's original vision to its assumed purest form.
And rightfully so. Actually getting citations for the individual factoids is very useful for research. That is one of the reasons I like The Great Library of Greyhawk so much. It gives me knowledge about GH rather than judgement of what I should use in my game. And knowledge does not stop you from house-rulling changes to canon to make things fit in better with Frank Mentzer's vision for Aquaria.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The Great Library of Greyhawk article only seems to mention the low numbered R modules, while Wikipedia suggests that all 10 are connected to Aquaria. Does The Great Library of Greyhawk recognize RPGA modules (that have not been reprinted) as source material?
For the most part, RPGA modules are only considered canon if they've been published by TSR/WotC. The seemingly endless mass of Living Greyhawk modules are considered apocryphal because they're creator-owned and hard to get (and the whole Living Greyhawk campaign conflicts to some degree with the Paizohawk stuff that was coming out simultaneously, which are canon).

The first four modules in the R-series were published by TSR, so they should all be considered canonical. Polyhedron is normally considered a canon source because it was a TSR publication, so R-5 and R-6 should be considered canonical (I'll have to look at these). The Quest for the Dwarven Rod of Seven Parts looks dubious; if I had any way of finding them, I'd include them in the wiki as apocryphal sources.

As far as I know, they were all set in Frank Mentzer's Aquaria campaign, but I don't know, personally. I guess someone could ask Frank Mentzer!
Wikipedia seems to suggest they were all written by Frank Mentzer, and I get the impression that the first four started as RPGA modules and were reprinted. But I may be wrong. The information is a bit patchy.
ripvanwormer wrote:Update: I just checked. "The Great Bugbear Hunt" is set in and near NewFord, which is an Aquarian town.

"The 384th Incarnation of Bigby's Tomb"... it'd be difficult to classify that as canon due to its extremely divergent interpretation of Bigby. I don't see anything in it that ties it to Aquaria, or anywhere else (except the presence of Bigby; if this was the Bigby of the Circle of Eight, it would place this adventure in the Flanaess).

Honestly, I didn't mention them in the Great Library wiki article because I didn't know about them.
I know what you mean. I keep uncovering secondary sources of Spelljammer canon in non-Spelljammer books. (Or I'm getting told about them.) And I'm also uncovering space references, in D&D products, that could be taken as tertiary sources of SJ canon, because D&D creates a link. All the additional stuff is a bit of a grey area, to be honest.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:34 pm

I've just had a reply from Frank - he's sent me the Player's Kit for his campaign and given permission to share it.

If anyone would like it you can download it by visiting this page.

If Dropbox tries to get you to sign up just close the signup screen by pressing the X and it will open the download screen and allow you to downolad the zip file.

And yes, there are a couple of maps in there as well as the documentation. :D
Last edited by Dave L on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Gee Dave, that was fast. ;)

Is fine tho. Sure, anybody can have those. Caution: I digitized a lot of materials in the early '90s, so the kit dates from that era. The full Aquaria map is now rather huge, highly detailed, full color, and extends much farther than the small bit included in the kit.

No, you can't have that map. Yet. I hope you'll be able to purchase it within a year or two. Depends in part on when the artist can get started.

BigMac: TSR/WotC/Hasb owns everything I wrote during my tenure at TSR. While I understand its importance for canonical reasons, I am restricted in my responses on those topics.

R1-4, Bugbear Hunt, and DQR7P were set in Aquaria, yes. Bigby's tomb should be somewhere in Oerid, of course.

Havard is my main connection to Piazza of course, so if you need to flag me or use him as a go-between, feel free. But my email addy is in my profile. (Another Caution: I tend to be a little busy, so forgive delays in response.)

I usually just put "F" at the end of my posts, but this being my first...

Frank Mentzer

btw, I've Subscribed to this thread (only) for ease of future contacts. :)
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>
My friend Gary changed the world.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Here's a summary of R7-R10. I actually had read that before.

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Grodog's summary is outstanding as usual.

btw, the "R" series is full of easter eggs and puns.

Samples:
The party is befriended by a wise old brass dragon named Ari Igex.
In the canyon they come across a descendant of one M. Mead.

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 pm

ExTSR wrote:Gee Dave, that was fast. ;)

Is fine tho. Sure, anybody can have those. Caution: I digitized a lot of materials in the early '90s, so the kit dates from that era. The full Aquaria map is now rather huge, highly detailed, full color, and extends much farther than the small bit included in the kit.

No, you can't have that map. Yet. I hope you'll be able to purchase it within a year or two. Depends in part on when the artist can get started.
Not to pry, but do you know what style the map will be in yet?

Most of my maps are done in Gimp with a hex grid in the old TSR style, but using the DA3 and DA4 method of colouring.
I've just started using Campaign Cartographer 3 though - a whole new learning curve. :)

Unfortunately I've developed a compressed nerve in my back over the weekend, so although my plan is to reproduce your player's map in colour, I've only got as far as the river system at the moment, and I think I'm going to have to take a break for a few days until the meds do their job.

I'll certainly look forward to the complete map once it's on sale. :)

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Dave L wrote:do you know what style the map will be in yet?
I want it to look a lot like the original WoG maps. :)

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:08 am

Glad to have ya here, Frank!

Even if you don't get to post that often, busy with Real Life & all that (my condolences to you), I'm glad Havard let you in on this thread here at the P. Image

Ripvanwormer & Dave L: Thanks for the links! Image I have a lot of reading to do!
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 am

ExTSR wrote:

F
To scale? And they would fit together!? Image
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Wow. Thanks for joining The Piazza and subscribing to this thread, Frank.

I know that people like you, that did a ton of work building D&D stuff, don't get paid to run a support desk, so it is really great of you to come over here, even if (as Dread Delgath said) you don't come here all the time.
ExTSR wrote:Gee Dave, that was fast. ;)

Is fine tho. Sure, anybody can have those. Caution: I digitized a lot of materials in the early '90s, so the kit dates from that era.
You would be surprised how fast some of the people on The Piazza actually are. The guy who built Dark Dungeons RPG, is one of our forum members. If you check out the Dark Dungeons forum, you can actually see how fast he zoomed through the entire project.

Actually Dark Dungeons started off as a few threads in another forum, and when it started to get big our forum manager (Ashtagon) gave it its own forum. I would love to see that happen for Aquaria (just like it did for Wilderlands, World of Warcraft (the tabletop version) and Talislanta).
ExTSR wrote:The full Aquaria map is now rather huge, highly detailed, full color, and extends much farther than the small bit included in the kit.

I'll look forward to hearing about when this comes out.
ExTSR wrote:BigMac: TSR/WotC/Hasb owns everything I wrote during my tenure at TSR. While I understand its importance for canonical reasons, I am restricted in my responses on those topics.
Fair enough. I don't want to get you to say anything that will cause you legal problems. Perhaps if I say what I am interested in, you might be able to say something that helps.

I've recently learned that Kara-Tur was originally supposed to be part of Oerth, and that means that this and New Empyrea could possibly be used to expand Greyhawk in a similar way to the way that Kara-Tur, Maztica and Al-Qadim expanded Forgotten Realms.

This of course would be a fanon expansion of GH, but I figure that, if you and the Kara-Tur guys were building stuff for Oerth, then it shouldn't be too hard to shoehorn your work in.

To make things even more anal, I'm looking at using Oerth as part of a multi-world campaign (using Spelljammer as a link between worlds). So I figure that I would want to keep Kara-Tur on Toril, and put a rebooted Kara-Tur on Oerth. And I'm figuring that if you are bringing out a new campaign setting based on your personal Aquaria campaign, I could use that as a new world, but also give it a bit of a reboot to be the New Empyrea region on Oerth.
ExTSR wrote:R1-4, Bugbear Hunt, and DQR7P were set in Aquaria, yes. Bigby's tomb should be somewhere in Oerid, of course.
Hmm. Sounds like Wikipedia has an error on your page, as it says R1-R1 are all Aquaria.
ExTSR wrote:Havard is my main connection to Piazza of course, so if you need to flag me or use him as a go-between, feel free. But my email addy is in my profile. (Another Caution: I tend to be a little busy, so forgive delays in response.)

I usually just put "F" at the end of my posts, but this being my first...
Like I said before, you are not paid to answer our questions, so just giving us answers (when you can) is brilliant. I don't mind delays.

And a delay will always give me an excuse to poke Havard! Poking Havard is fun! :P ;)
ExTSR wrote:Grodog's summary is outstanding as usual.

btw, the "R" series is full of easter eggs and puns.

Samples:
The party is befriended by a wise old brass dragon named Ari Igex.
In the canyon they come across a descendant of one M. Mead.
I've noticed a ton of easter eggs/inside jokes inside TSR products. Some of them go over my head, so it has been fun to discover some of them recently.

Back last year, I was wondering if the planet Falx from SJR4 Practical Planetology, was Nigel Findley making a nod to your R1 module (see my thread: Anyone got "R - 1 To the Aid of Falx"? to see my bafflement).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:06 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
ExTSR wrote:

F
That would be nice.

Then some fan could create a 1:2 global map of Oerth, wrap it around a sphere and make a nice picture of Oerth from space. :cool:

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
ExTSR wrote:

F
That would be nice.

Then some fan could create a 1:2 global map of Oerth, wrap it around a sphere and make a nice picture of Oerth from space. :cool:
Give Dave a map to play with and you have him hooked! :lol:

Seriously great to have you here Frank. The fact that you are letting us have access to your Aquaria campaing is awesome.

ExTSR
Troll

Post by ExTSR » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 am

Havard wrote:If Oards are behind the technological elements of Aquaria, then that means tech is bad. I am not sure Mentzer ever made that plain?
(quoted from a different thread next door)

Ooooh... Tech isn't just Bad, it's the Ultimate Bad.

The good guys are anti-Tech.
The bad guys are anti-Tech.
If anyone's pro-Tech they're anti-gods.

Works like this:

Consider Belief as a natural function of Sentience. You can Believe in something, not believe in that at all, or have some degree of Belief. Disregarding the variables for now (intensity of, Quantity of as a function of Int/Wis, others), accept as a postulate that the total Belief in a given being is a mensurate and finite quantity. The total Belief for a given population is a derivative (calculus), as certain things that affect Belief (death, birth, senility, epiphany, change) take place over Time. The total Belief for a given planet is a matrix calculation based on the above.

Now the important point. Belief invested in gods is Belief not invested in the mortals, and vice versa. It's a zero-sum gig. But Technology is the ultimate mortal creation. Belief invested in Tech is Belief withheld from gods. Magic is on the side of (comes from?) the gods, so another way to simplify this is: if you Believe in Tech you don't Believe in magick.

As I said, it's actually grayscale not black & white; most Believe somewhat in the power of mortals & their technological creations but also Believe in gods & magic. But in the long run you can't have it both ways, for as the amount of Belief invested in Tech grows, the gods (and magick) literally grow weaker -- because the power wielded by immortals is based fundamentally on the Belief of their followers.

The actual calculations and resultant effects are complex to say the least. Suffice to say that ultimately, the two Sides are Magic & Gods {vs} Man & Tech. In the course of the Aquaria campaign, this is an underlying principle that rears its ugly head periodically. (It's not the main story.)

/cue ominous background music
And in the Fatal Flaw department, it is whispered that King John II embraced Tech to some degree... and that flaw continues in the family to this very day.
/ominous music abruptly ends

F
Frank Mentzer
<><><><><><>

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:30 am

Umm Wow! An excellent answer to detail how and why tech kills magic. Given this equation a true long term fusion of tech and magic would be impossible, correct?

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:41 am

Azaghal wrote:Umm Wow! An excellent answer to detail how and why tech kills magic. Given this equation a true long term fusion of tech and magic would be impossible, correct?
And the Radiance is the ultimate fusion of tech and magic, so ... no Radiance device in Aquaria - I like it already! :)

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:25 am

Got to love magic over tech! Works for me! I must download the player kit asap.

Return to “Aquaria”