[Atlantis] The Arcanum

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Atlantis] The Arcanum

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:13 pm

I just stumbled onto a mention of this, while looking for something else.

Apparently, it is the first of (maybe) three books that form the Atlantean RPG system, by Stephen Michael Sechi. It looks like this setting has fallen into the shadow of Talislanta.

Does anyone have this? If so, what is it like?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

writermonk
Ogre

Re: [Atlantis] The Arcanum

Post by writermonk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:55 am

I've got a later version that its basically a compiling of pieces of the the three books. I don't think I've got the core goodies of Arcanum, though.
From everything I've heard, it's an awesome book in itself.

Morrigan Press later bought the rights to Atlantis, but Arcanum (at least I think) is not included in that. It's sort of a prior work, and MP got the license for the Atlantis setting itself. MPs book Atlantis: the Second Age is actually good in a lot of places, but the system (an early working of what would become the Omni system) has a number of flaws (editing being the foremost).
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 am

I've got The Atlantean Trilogy.

Originally, it was published as 3 books (all 1984)...

1. The Arcanum: main rules, character building, races, classes, spells, skills, and a flexible combat system, and a magic system differentiated into 9 different "fields of study"... Astrology, Black Magic, Divine Magic, Elemental Magic, Enchantment, Low Magic, High Magic, Mysticism, and Sorcery.

2. The Lexicon: "the complete atlas of the antediluvian age". World map, regional maps, cities, trade routes, history, etc. Useful as a stand-alone setting for other game systems as well as the background for The Atlantean Trilogy game system.

3. The Bestiary: as the title says... creatures magical, legendary, diabolic, and mundane... tribes, cults, non-human races, etc. Also usable for other game systems.

The Second Edition (the one I have) reprints the 1st book (with revisions, 1985), and has the 2nd & 3rd books (with revisions, 1988) in one volume named Atlantis: The Lost World.

In many respects it is set up pretty similar to 1E AD&D (not surprising, as it came out in the early 1980s).

I have used the Beastmaster class in 1E AD&D with very little modification, and it worked fine (neither over-powered nor under-powered).

Many of the concepts originated in the series of "multi-system supplements" published by Bard Games in 1983... The Compleat Alchemist, The Compleat Spellcaster, and The Compleat Adventurer.

I also have the last, but not the first two.

http://rpgtalk.wikia.com/wiki/The_Arcanum

Also:

Material from The Arcanum and the rest of Bard Games's "Atlantean Trilogy" (including The Lexicon and The Bestiary) is the basis for Atlantis: The Second Age by Morrigan Press.

The setting is mostly the same, but the mechanics of this edition uses the Omni System, the generic game system related to Fourth Edition Talislanta.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:18 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:1. The Arcanum: main rules, character building, races, classes, spells, skills, and a flexible combat system, and a magic system differentiated into 9 different "fields of study"... Astrology, Black Magic, Divine Magic, Elemental Magic, Enchantment, Low Magic, High Magic, Mysticism, and Sorcery.

2. The Lexicon: "the complete atlas of the antediluvian age". World map, regional maps, cities, trade routes, history, etc. Useful as a stand-alone setting for other game systems as well as the background for The Atlantean Trilogy game system.

3. The Bestiary: as the title says... creatures magical, legendary, diabolic, and mundane... tribes, cults, non-human races, etc. Also usable for other game systems.
This setup sounds very much like The Arcanum is the core rulebook and The Lexicon and The Bestary are more "setting specific". I can imagine that they could have made other settings to bolt onto The Arcanum (if things had turned out differently).
BlackBat242 wrote:The Second Edition (the one I have) reprints the 1st book (with revisions, 1985), and has the 2nd & 3rd books (with revisions, 1988) in one volume named Atlantis: The Lost World.
I'm a bit confused between this and The Arcanum: Second Edition and The Arcanum: The Second Age. The article you linked to is a bit ambiguous. How many spin off books have they actually made? Did Bard Games make a second edition before handing/licensing the setting to Morrigan Press? Does anyone know who owns the setting now?
BlackBat242 wrote:In many respects it is set up pretty similar to 1E AD&D (not surprising, as it came out in the early 1980s).

I have used the Beastmaster class in 1E AD&D with very little modification, and it worked fine (neither over-powered nor under-powered).

Many of the concepts originated in the series of "multi-system supplements" published by Bard Games in 1983... The Compleat Alchemist, The Compleat Spellcaster, and The Compleat Adventurer.

I also have the last, but not the first two.
Hmm. So if there had been a First Era SRD, Atlantis would probably have been a third party campaign setting, and The Arcanum would probably have been a third party sourcebook?
Very interesting (but a bit confusing). The Relationship with Talislanta section was pretty interesting. I wonder how easy it would be to raid this stuff and use it to stand in for one of the undocumeted areas of Archaeus or one of its moons.
BlackBat242 wrote:The setting is mostly the same, but the mechanics of this edition uses the Omni System, the generic game system related to Fourth Edition Talislanta.
With slightly better guerilla marketing, I think that Atlantis and Talislanta could have been the Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms of the Omni System and an Omni SRD could have pulled other publishers onboard to give the system a bigger customer base. But unless someone invents Sliders-technology, I guess we will never know. :P
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:35 am

Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:1. The Arcanum: main rules, character building, races, classes, spells, skills, and a flexible combat system, and a magic system differentiated into 9 different "fields of study"... Astrology, Black Magic, Divine Magic, Elemental Magic, Enchantment, Low Magic, High Magic, Mysticism, and Sorcery.

This setup sounds very much like The Arcanum is the core rulebook and The Lexicon and The Bestary are more "setting specific". I can imagine that they could have made other settings to bolt onto The Arcanum (if things had turned out differently).
Yep... they are pretty much setting material, and other settings could be grafted on.

Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:The Second Edition (the one I have) reprints the 1st book (with revisions, 1985), and has the 2nd & 3rd books (with revisions, 1988) in one volume named Atlantis: The Lost World.
I'm a bit confused between this and The Arcanum: Second Edition and The Arcanum: The Second Age. The article you linked to is a bit ambiguous. How many spin off books have they actually made? Did Bard Games make a second edition before handing/licensing the setting to Morrigan Press? Does anyone know who owns the setting now?
OK... yes, Bard Games did the second edition (in 1985/88, see above). The Arcanum 1E came before Talislanta, and forms the basis of the rules for Tal 1E/2E/3E.

The Arcanum 2E was published concurrently with Tal 1E.

Morrigan Press got Tal well before deciding to do anything with The Arcanum material... and perhaps your confusion comes from conflating the names.

Atlantis: The Second Age by Morrigan Press was done after Tal 4E... in fact, Amazon lists it as being published January 16, 2006, making nearly 18 years between publication of the last material for The Arcanum 2E and publication of Atlantis: The Second Age!
http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Second-Age/dp/0973724951

I listed everything I am aware of that has been published for The Arcanum.

Big Mac wrote:Very interesting (but a bit confusing). The Relationship with Talislanta section was pretty interesting. I wonder how easy it would be to raid this stuff and use it to stand in for one of the undocumeted areas of Archaeus or one of its moons.
Well, it was called Atlantis because it was deliberately invoking the real-world legend of Atlantis, and was supposed to be set in pre-biblical flood Earth!

I presume that it could stand in for a certain sunken continent in Tal, however... :P

Big Mac wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:The setting is mostly the same, but the mechanics of this edition uses the Omni System, the generic game system related to Fourth Edition Talislanta.
With slightly better guerilla marketing, I think that Atlantis and Talislanta could have been the Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms of the Omni System and an Omni SRD could have pulled other publishers onboard to give the system a bigger customer base. But unless someone invents Sliders-technology, I guess we will never know. :P
Well, if Morrigan hadn't died, it is likely this might have happened.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:07 am

I remember looking at the books back in the late 80`s and always meant to buy it.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 am

I picked up Atlantis: The Second Age at GenCon '05. Is it the successor to the game discussed in here?

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I picked up Atlantis: The Second Age at GenCon '05. Is it the successor to the game discussed in here?
Well...
BlackBat242 wrote:Material from The Arcanum and the rest of Bard Games's "Atlantean Trilogy" (including The Lexicon and The Bestiary) is the basis for Atlantis: The Second Age by Morrigan Press.

The setting is mostly the same, but the mechanics of this edition uses the Omni System, the generic game system related to Fourth Edition Talislanta.

So yes, it is.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:42 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I picked up Atlantis: The Second Age at GenCon '05. Is it the successor to the game discussed in here?
Well...
BlackBat242 wrote:Material from The Arcanum and the rest of Bard Games's "Atlantean Trilogy" (including The Lexicon and The Bestiary) is the basis for Atlantis: The Second Age by Morrigan Press.

So yes, it is.
Guess I failed my original Perception check. Many thanks.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
BlackBat242 wrote:
Well...

So yes, it is.
Guess I failed my original Perception check. Many thanks.
Don't think I've seen you before. Welcome to The Piazza.

So what did you thin of Atlantis: The Second Age, then?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:32 am

Big Mac wrote:Don't think I've seen you before. Welcome to The Piazza.

So what did you thin of Atlantis: The Second Age, then?
Haven't had the chance to play/GM it, but I have read bits and pieces of it. It's pretty damn inspiring. Sarûnia, my Pathfinder homebrew is a world where the civilized lands are set in the Gothic era with bits of modern times stuff thrown in that have magical counterparts. I love the concept of Atlantis. I've always wondered, what would the world be like if Atlantis was still around? I't be very different, that's for sure. I try to take inspiration from any Atlantean source I can and think of a way I can use it in my campaign. Gothic era technology (to a limit; no explosives, but there is a magical solution to even that) with Atlantean magic. That's what I strive for with Sarûnia.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:Don't think I've seen you before. Welcome to The Piazza.
Oooh! I just clocked who you are, via your FB group for Sarûnia. I'm glad you made it over here. :cool:
Big Mac wrote:So what did you thin of Atlantis: The Second Age, then?
Haven't had the chance to play/GM it, but I have read bits and pieces of it. It's pretty damn inspiring. Sarûnia, my Pathfinder homebrew is a world where the civilized lands are set in the Gothic era with bits of modern times stuff thrown in that have magical counterparts. I love the concept of Atlantis. I've always wondered, what would the world be like if Atlantis was still around? I't be very different, that's for sure. I try to take inspiration from any Atlantean source I can and think of a way I can use it in my campaign. Gothic era technology (to a limit; no explosives, but there is a magical solution to even that) with Atlantean magic. That's what I strive for with Sarûnia.
So how are you using Atlantis in Sarûnia?

Are you actually thinking of using Atlantis lock stock and barrel, and bolting it on to a certain place in your own setting?

Or are you thinking of using Atlantis as a book to raid ideas from?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:Or are you thinking of using Atlantis as a book to raid ideas from?
I'm using any Atlantean source I can get my hands on as raiding material for Sarunia. Atlantis itself does not exist in Sarunia, but the feel of Atlantis permeates the civilized nations of the world. Arcanum crystals are the equivalent of a portable energy source, but uses magic rather than electricity. Spellcasters can use arcanum crystals to power multiple small devices and can siphon their spell energy to cast cantrips and apply metamagic enhancements to spells on the fly. Larger objects require arcanum capacitors. Truly massive things (such as [star]ships) use arcanum coils to power them.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:58 am

Oh, noes... he mentioned starships around Big Mac!!!

:P :P

{and another world joins the Spelljammer crystal spheres}

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:55 am

BlackBat242 wrote:Oh, noes... he mentioned starships around Big Mac!!!
I don't want people to be put off by this, it is a very long way off. In fact I have no plans in the foreseeable future to make any star-charts.
BlackBat242 wrote:{and another world joins the Spelljammer crystal spheres}
If and when I do decide to move forward beyond the twin worlds that make up Sarunia and its satellites, modern physics is going to apply ro outer space; it is a hard vacuum. Ships will have to be entirely sealed for the occupants within to survive the trek.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:38 am

You're missing the point... Big Mac has the habit of converting every world he can into Spelljammer Crystal Spheres.

The trigger point seems to be any mention that the world in question has connections with space travel.

Just making a joke aimed at Big Mac.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:20 am

BlackBat242 wrote:You're missing the point... Big Mac has the habit of converting every world he can into Spelljammer Crystal Spheres.

The trigger point seems to be any mention that the world in question has connections with space travel.
Ah. I had reversed ythe implication of what you meant, then. I love a good mix of sci fi/fantasy.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:Or are you thinking of using Atlantis as a book to raid ideas from?
I'm using any Atlantean source I can get my hands on as raiding material for Sarunia. Atlantis itself does not exist in Sarunia, but the feel of Atlantis permeates the civilized nations of the world. Arcanum crystals are the equivalent of a portable energy source, but uses magic rather than electricity. Spellcasters can use arcanum crystals to power multiple small devices and can siphon their spell energy to cast cantrips and apply metamagic enhancements to spells on the fly. Larger objects require arcanum capacitors. Truly massive things (such as [star]ships) use arcanum coils to power them.
Sounds pretty interesting. I was about to suggest you start up a Sarunia thread in our Homebrews forum, but then I saw that you already had.
BlackBat242 wrote:You're missing the point... Big Mac has the habit of converting every world he can into Spelljammer Crystal Spheres.

I think you will find that the "arcanum coils" reference means that Havard will swoop in and claim Sarunia as a Blackmoorian colony! :P
BlackBat242 wrote:Just making a joke aimed at Big Mac.
That seems to be a national sport around here. :o

Maybe I should let Azaghal take the top spammer post, so people make jokes at him instead. ;)

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Big Mac wrote: That seems to be a national sport around here. :o

Maybe I should let Azaghal take the top spammer post, so people make jokes at him instead. ;)
Don't do yourself down BM, it's an international sport!

I heard the IOC was considering it for inclusion next year, as you'll practically be on site. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote: That seems to be a national sport around here. :o

Don't do yourself down BM, it's an international sport!

I heard the IOC was considering it for inclusion next year, as you'll practically be on site. :)
Hrmph! :evil:

Shouldn't you be off doing something else, Dave? Like making a hex map of Atlantis? :P ;)

Actually, I think I found one:

Here is the non-hex version:

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Tsk, tsk, you didn't put a scale on those maps. :mrgreen:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Joking aside, did Atlantis: The Arcanum actually have any maps in it?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:28 am

Here's a world overview map that was in Atlantis The Second Age book:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:44 am

Here's an up-close map of Atlantis and surrounding area:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:47 am

Thanks for the maps, Twin Agate Dragons.

Clearly the world is a devolved version of the Earth.

(I don't know if that is enough for Dave L to attempt hex versions.)

Return to “Other Worlds”