[Savage Worlds] Anyone check out Hellfrost?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Savage Worlds] Anyone check out Hellfrost?

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Its a new setting from Savage Worlds. I was thinking about picking it up. Here's what I have been able to find so far:
First, it's important to note that Hellfrost isn't a Plot Point campaign. It's built as an open world you can return to as often as you like.

Curiously, Hellfrost isn't a fully iced over world, either. The northern continent in which the game is set is roughly divided into the High Winterlands, the Low Winterlands, and the Hearthlands. The Hearthlands are in the south and still enjoy pleasant summers (but bad winters). The High Winterlands, which lie below the Icewall, a towering wall of ice, never see temperatures above freezing.

The world isn't locked in an ice age, so it isn't a post-apocalyptic one. Instead, it's the start of an ice age, where famine is being to ravage the land as winters lengthen and ferocious beasts prowl ever close to settled lands. Neighbors are beginning to eye each other's resources jealously.

Magic is a dying art. The Siphoning draws off mages' power if they are not careful, and thus while in theory a mage can keep casting spells all day (no Power Points), he risks having his magic drained (temporarily or permanently).

We opted for low-magic--alchemical one-shot items are plentiful, but permanent magic items (even Ye Olde +1 sword) are rare objects and highly sought after.

We've kept the standard fantasy monsters, such as orcs, giants, undead, and dragons, but given them a new lease of life through greatly expanding their abilities. There'a also a lot of new monsters based on the winter theme.

Overall, we aimed for a Viking/Saxon feel. Heroes adventure not because it is the right thing to do, but because it leads to fame and glory, and that keeps one's name alive through the ages. Gaining wealth is important to most heroes, but it's temporal--you can't spend it in the afterlife.

Hellfrost will let you play old school adventures, high politics, or conquering armies, whatever suits your preferred style of play.
Source: http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21729

Sounds pretty interesting. I like the fact that more fantasy settings are being produced for Savage Worlds.

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Anyone check out Hellfrost?

Post by Chimpman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:11 pm

The cover art is pretty cool too (pun intended). This might be something I'll have to check out. Thanks Havard!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Just picked up the Player's Guide. Looks pretty neat. I will try to post more on it later :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm not really up for learning Savage words, so I've never heard of this before, but I checked out the link in Wiggy's signature and they have an impressive 62 products for the Hellfrost line.
Wiggy at Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group forum wrote:Magic is a dying art. The Siphoning draws off mages' power if they are not careful, and thus while in theory a mage can keep casting spells all day (no Power Points), he risks having his magic drained (temporarily or permanently).
I've got to say that this is an interesting idea. I'd love to see how it could translate to D&D rules. Perhaps something along the lines of the rules for Arcane Spell Failure. Permanent spell loss sounds pretty harsh, but I'm not sure of how often it happens in Hellfrost. If they have a point-based spellcasting system, and you can cast without paying points, it looks like they might be getting free spells in exchange for the risk.
Wiggy at Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group forum wrote:We opted for low-magic--alchemical one-shot items are plentiful, but permanent magic items (even Ye Olde +1 sword) are rare objects and highly sought after.

We've kept the standard fantasy monsters, such as orcs, giants, undead, and dragons, but given them a new lease of life through greatly expanding their abilities. There'a also a lot of new monsters based on the winter theme.

Overall, we aimed for a Viking/Saxon feel. Heroes adventure not because it is the right thing to do, but because it leads to fame and glory, and that keeps one's name alive through the ages. Gaining wealth is important to most heroes, but it's temporal--you can't spend it in the afterlife.
If this truely is a Viking-world, I would possibly be interested in a 3e or Pathfinder version of this campaign setting. I'm looking for a variety of settings that all use a similar theme in different ways. I like the idea of a Viking pantheon that creates Viking worlds across the cosmos. And the magic-draining thing would mean that Hellfrost would work as a "planet of the week" that at first seems like many other Viking worlds (so seems familiar), but then the magic system will make it play differently to other Vikiing worlds (and make it rememberable).

EDIT: I found a couple of Hellfrost freebies at the Tripple Ace Games website:
  • Hellfrost Region Guide #0: Of Gods and Men - "This is a FREE product that acts as a supplement to the Hellfrost Region Guides. It provides expanded notes on the use of minor gods, takes a look behind the scenes at the pantheon, and provides background information of temple and cult hierarchies. Also included are background notes for clerics of Hela, two rituals performed by clergy of the Goddess of Undeath, and introduces a non-human deity, perfect for teasing characters with arachnophobia." Author: Paul Wade-Williams Page Count: 6
  • Hellfrost Adventure: Xmas 2010 - The Mouth of the Frothing Bear - "Murderous Marauders at Large! Welcome to the Triple Ace Games free Christmas adventure for 2010! Along the banks of the Frostwater Lake lies a horde of cannibal marauders. These Vendahls have raided hamlets, farms and small settlements in the local vicinity of their hideout. The local farmers are desperate for help and are looking for volunteers to rid their lands of the terrible raiders. In The Mouth of the Frothing Bear, the adventurers must go in search of these violent creatures and dispatch them quickly. Spend your Christmas exploring the caves in this brilliant mini-adventure for Hellfrost!" Pages: 8 Author: Umberto Pignatelli"
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Just ordered the Gazetteer and Beastiary to this setting. Hope they are as good as the Player's Guide :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Savage Worlds] Anyone check out Hellfrost?

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:53 am

Finally got my hands on the Beastiary and the Gazetteer. I have been making great use of the Beastiary. It is an excellent resource for any Savage Worlds fantasy game.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Havard wrote:Finally got my hands on the Beastiary and the Gazetteer. I have been making great use of the Beastiary. It is an excellent resource for any Savage Worlds fantasy game.

-Havard
How much of the books are fluff (background material)?
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Havard wrote:Finally got my hands on the Beastiary and the Gazetteer. I have been making great use of the Beastiary. It is an excellent resource for any Savage Worlds fantasy game.

-Havard
Bump.

And FYI Adventure Compendium 2 is due out 12/07/11.
Saga of the Frost Giants - 08/03/2011
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:41 am

I would like to know that too (as I'm not into the Savage Worlds system).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Big Mac wrote:
I'd say comparable to most AD&D 2nd Ed books. The Monster Book has the most crunch.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:44 am

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I'd say comparable to most AD&D 2nd Ed books. The Monster Book has the most crunch.
Amazon.com has this to say about the Hellfrost Gazeteer (most probably from the publishers blurb):
Amazon.com wrote:TRAVEL THE LANDS OF SNOW AND ICE A world of adventure at your fingertips! This supplement for the Hellfrost setting details the entire continent of Rassilon. From the snow-shrouded wastes of the High Winterlands to the relatively warm hills of the southern Hearthlands, this book covers every realm and major settlement, plus numerous sites of adventure. A handy reference section provides the GM with information of how to construct his own steads, villages, and towns. Organized with the GM's needs in mind, each realm covers basic socio-political information, important background, the nation's government and military, adventure hooks, as well as notes on the geography and major locales. Also covered in this volume are important organizations of less than savory reputation. Now your heroes can fight the cultists of the Ashen veil, who crave immortality through necromancy, defend remote settlements from the cannibalistic Cult of the Bear God, and confront the Seekers of the Black Key, who desire nothing less than to release the forces of the Abyss. The Hellfrost Gazetteer contains no rules information, making it a valuable resource regardless of your favoured roleplaying system. Hellfrost: Gazetteer is a core book in the epic Hellfrost setting for the award-winning Savage Worlds RPG.
What stands out most is the sentence: "The Hellfrost Gazetteer contains no rules information, making it a valuable resource regardless of your favoured roleplaying system."

Given that things like critters are sometimes fairly integrated into a campaign setting (i.e. draconians in Dragonlance) I wonder how truly easy it would be to use Hellfrost with any rules system. Are there any non-standard races or critters in the gazeteer, Havard?

Return to “Other Worlds”