[Izmer] D&D2 Wrath of the Dragon God: Izmer and Izmir

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.

[Izmer] D&D2 Wrath of the Dragon God: Izmer and Izmir

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:57 pm

The Empire of Izmer is the setting of the first D&D movie. In the sequel, Wrath of the Dragon God, however, they have changed the spelling to Izmer, and the realm is no longer an Empire, but a Kingdom.

The second movie is set 100 years after the events of the first film, and deals with a plot to resurrect Faluzure, the Dragon God. Damodar, one of the villains from the previous film returns after a century of imprisonment for failing his master, Profion.

While the first film's setting seemed to borrow heavily from the Mystara setting, the second movie incorporates much more explicit Greyhawk and "Core D&D" elements such as gods and references to locations and modules. Edit: There are also references to a Turanian Civilization that does not appear in any existing published setting.

Adaptation to Mystara
Given the quality of these movies, I am usually not encouraged when I start discussions about adapting the movie setting to any published world. My original idea was that the first film would be set in around AC900, while the second movie would be set some time after Wrath of the Immortals, possibly on Belissaria, a remnant of the Old Empire.

All the references to Greyhawk/"Core D&D" make it more difficult to accept this as connected to Mystara though. On the other hand, the idea of a Dragon God being imprisoned 3000 years in the past, does make one think of the Blackmoor Era (Technically 4-5000 years earlier, but details!). Perhaps Watchworks, the Dragon could have been the one imprisoned by the Blackmoorians during the Beastman Crusades? Another idea would be to move these events to BC1000 and the founding of Alphatia.

Adaptation to Greyhawk
I could also see this as a Greyhawk movie (just to upset another group of fans while I'm at it). Izmer could be the Great Kingdom. And the council of Mages could be the Circle of Eight? The second movie's references to GH would make such adaptation easier.

Or perhaps it is better to consider this an independent setting?

I will be curious to see if the upcoming sequel, the Book of Vile Darkness, will have any connections to the previous film setting, or whether it will be set in the Nentir Vale or somewhere like that...

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Izmer] Izmer and Izmir

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:52 pm

I remember from the 1st movie the the Tower of Inverness gets mentions. Is there one on Mystara as well as Greyhawk?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I remember from the 1st movie the the Tower of Inverness gets mentions. Is there one on Mystara as well as Greyhawk?

Are you sure the Iverness reference isnt in the 2nd movie? In any case, there is no Iverness in Mystara. The 1st movie makes no specific reference to Mystara, but the director has stated in various interviews that he created the movie setting drawing upon a Mystara campaign he once played in. The whole idea of an Empire ruled by Mages where non-spellcasters are second class citizens comes from the Dawn of the Emperors Boxed Set, for Mystara.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:57 am

Havard wrote:The Empire of Izmer is the setting of the first D&D movie. In the sequel, Wrath of the Dragon God, however, they have changed the spelling to Izmer, and the realm is no longer an Empire, but a Kingdom.

Um. You wrote that as "Izmer" both times. Which one is "Izmir"?

I found a WotC wishlist that actually used both spellings. That was a PDF, but I've just found a webpage that mentions D&D Movie II: Wrath of the Dragon God:

Wizards of the Coast wrote:D&D Movie II: Wrath of the Dragon God
This sequel to the Dungeons & Dragons movie fills the screen with amazing visual effects of spectral ghouls, diabolical traps, thundering armies and huge winged dragons. The story follows five champions of Izmer who must perform prodigious feats of brain, brawn and sorcery.

When the evil sorcerer Damodar braves a perilous whirlwind vortex to steal the elemental black orb he declares a sinister plan of vengeance against the kingdom of Ismir. Berek, a decorated warrior, and Melora, an amateur sorceress join four heroes representing Intelligence, Wisdom, Honor and Strength to battle against Damodar's growing army of gruesome creatures, flying harpies and an ice dragon to reach a vault room holding the orb. Together, they build their own army to retrieve the orb using elemental forces to defeat Damodar before he summons the sleeping black dragon whose omnipotent evil powers could lay waste to the entire kingdom.

So "champions of Izmer" is mentioned in the blurb along with vengence against the "kingdom of Ismir". Note that "Ismir" is different to both of the spellings in your thread title. :? I do wonder if you are looking at something caused by someone that couldn't be bothered to check the spelling on a document.

Havard wrote:I will be curious to see if the upcoming sequel, the Book of Vile Darkness, will have any connections to the previous film setting, or whether it will be set in the Nentir Vale or somewhere like that...

At least the name comes from a D&D book. Shame it is a supplement, instead of an adventure...

...at least that is what I thought before I jumped onto Google to remind myself of what The Book of Vile Darkness was.

I found that page (the Amazon page I was thinking about finding) but also found an article on Wikipedia for The Book of Vile Darkness that suggested the title is just a workingtitle. If that is the case, then the real film could be about anything. :roll:

So far, I was thinking that, we can't really tell what is going on with this...yet...

...but then I saw there was a 4e version of The Book of Vile Darkness and had a look to see if that was any different. :shock:

Product Description wrote:In addition to showcasing characters and locations featured in the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness Syfy Original Movie, this roleplaying game product is intended for Dungeon Masters looking to broaden their campaigns to include dark subject matter and truly evil threats. It features a detailed look at the nature of evil and the complex challenge of confronting the many dilemmas found within the deepest shadows.

It includes:
• A 32-page facsimile of the Book of Vile Darkness, filled with malignant secrets and musings that can inspire adventures or entire campaigns;
• A 96-page game supplement that provides Dungeon Masters with sample roleplaying encounters, adventure hooks, skill challenges, rituals, and lore for some of the most despicable creatures to infest any campaign world, new character options for players who like to flirt with evil;
• A full-color, double-sided poster map presenting iconic evil sites for heroes to explore.

So it looks like we are either going to have an Empire of Izmer RPG book for 4e, or the D&D Movie franchise might be switching over to Nentir Vale. The crazy people with more money than me will be able to tell you on the 20th of December.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Knightfall » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:50 am

Havard wrote:I will be curious to see if the upcoming sequel, the Book of Vile Darkness, will have any connections to the previous film setting, or whether it will be set in the Nentir Vale or somewhere like that...

-Havard

I'm fairly certain that the BoVD movie won't be connected to Izmer/Izmir (Ismir).

As for the various spellings, I think someone got confused during production of WotDG and used the real world spelling for the Turkish city of the same name. I'm 99% certain that the original name is the canonical name.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:54 am

Big Mac wrote:So it looks like we are either going to have an Empire of Izmer RPG book for 4e, or the D&D Movie franchise might be switching over to Nentir Vale. The crazy people with more money than me will be able to tell you on the 20th of December.

I'll let you know. ;)
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Havard » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Product Description wrote:In addition to showcasing characters and locations featured in the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness Syfy Original Movie, this roleplaying game product is intended for Dungeon Masters looking to broaden their campaigns to include dark subject matter and truly evil threats. It features a detailed look at the nature of evil and the complex challenge of confronting the many dilemmas found within the deepest shadows.

It includes:
• A 32-page facsimile of the Book of Vile Darkness, filled with malignant secrets and musings that can inspire adventures or entire campaigns;
• A 96-page game supplement that provides Dungeon Masters with sample roleplaying encounters, adventure hooks, skill challenges, rituals, and lore for some of the most despicable creatures to infest any campaign world, new character options for players who like to flirt with evil;
• A full-color, double-sided poster map presenting iconic evil sites for heroes to explore.

So it looks like we are either going to have an Empire of Izmer RPG book for 4e, or the D&D Movie franchise might be switching over to Nentir Vale. The crazy people with more money than me will be able to tell you on the 20th of December.

I would be surprised of they didnt use Nentir. Or I would definately be surprised if they kept using Izmer. Of course, I suppose we could still have a D&D movie continuum by assuming Izmer=Nerath.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby night_druid » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Izmir is a great name for a blasted wasteland...;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:03 pm

never mind....
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:09 am

This Book of Vile Darkness is out now. Nobody has reported on it yet, so I checked on the reviews on Amazon. It has mixed reviews, some love it and some think it is a waste of cash. But what I was really looking for was something that mentioned the movie (or the locations mentioned in the book) and this review, by Michael J. Tresca "Talien" seems fairly useful. Here is the best text:

Michael J. Tresca "Talien" at Amazon.com wrote:As Wizards of the Coast continues its plans of global domination with the Dungeons & Dragons brand, the full marketing power of the Hasbro juggernaut has become apparent in comics, board games, and now The Book of Vile Darkness (BOVD) movie. My buddy George Strayton is a story and game consultant on the upcoming film, so I'm hopeful it will do well.

The fifth chapter features a series of encounters for good-aligned heroes to dispose of the BOVD through a series of trials that presumably mimic the movie. That's where the battle maps become relevant.

So, if you can get to see this in the shops, chapter 5 is the thing to look at, but I think this is in a slip cover that has shrinkwrap on it, so that option is probably out. Maybe we will need to wait for the Book of Vile Darkness movie to see if there is a connection with Izmer. (But as this book contains something from Ravenloft there is a potential Izmer/Ravenloft crossover here.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby NPCDave » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:01 am

I am bumping this thread to make a couple of notes...

Most importantly, if anyone cares about Izmer/Izmir/Ismir, I recently found on the Wrath of the Dragon God DVD(the second movie) a pdf for a 3.5 Dungeon Magazine adventure Servants of Decay set in Izmer. An old shrine dedicated to Jubilex that gets explored by a low level group of PCs.

Secondly, anyone ever see the third movie BoVD and have any comment on it? I see references to Pelor in the movie but I have no idea of they continued with Izmer or just kept things Greyhawk or generic.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:12 am

NPCDave wrote:I am bumping this thread to make a couple of notes...

Most importantly, if anyone cares about Izmer/Izmir/Ismir, I recently found on the Wrath of the Dragon God DVD(the second movie) a pdf for a 3.5 Dungeon Magazine adventure Servants of Decay set in Izmer. An old shrine dedicated to Jubilex that gets explored by a low level group of PCs.

Wow, great find! Do you know which issue of Dungeon it may have appeared in originally?

Secondly, anyone ever see the third movie BoVD and have any comment on it? I see references to Pelor in the movie but I have no idea of they continued with Izmer or just kept things Greyhawk or generic.

There was some discussion about this movie here. My biggest disappointment about Dungeons & Dragons 3: Book of Vile Darkness was that Bruce Payne's character Damodar was not in it! That would have helped tie together the three movies well. In fact there doesn't seem to be any references to previous movies in this one. The movie is set in lands called the Kingdoms of Karkoth which apparently are part of the Nentir Vale World. Then again the Nentir Vale setting is such a mash-up of older Greyhawk/Mystara/Generic D&D stuff that I suppose there is no reason that Karkoth could not exist elsewhere, or that Izmer/Izmir could be one of the Kingdoms of Kargoth?

This lack of connections becomes even more disappointing now that the Nentir Vale setting has been dropped and will probably never be heard from again either.

This review has some more details on the movie.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Havard wrote:
NPCDave wrote:I am bumping this thread to make a couple of notes...

Wow, great find! Do you know which issue of Dungeon it may have appeared in originally?

This particular adventure was never published in Dungeon Magazine, it is an exclusive only found on the Wrath of the Dragon God DVD.

I have every issue from 3.0/3.5 and further confirmed it by checking the Dungeon Magazine index in the last printed issue(#150).

Dungeon Magazine #129 also published an NPC villain tied to the DVD and the Empire of Ismir(how it is spelled in issue #129). A ghost wizard named Malex possessing the form of an earth elemental who once worshipped Jubilex. Dungeon Magazine ran several small non-adventure article series including this one which would publish and fully detail various NPCs. Dungeon Magazine #144 detailed Bargle the Infamous in the series, which you already have on the Mystara 3/4/5E index thread.

Thanks for the link, it is not surprising WotC wanted to set it in their 4E setting and make a clean break from the past.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:35 pm

NPCDave wrote:This particular adventure was never published in Dungeon Magazine, it is an exclusive only found on the Wrath of the Dragon God DVD.

I have every issue from 3.0/3.5 and further confirmed it by checking the Dungeon Magazine index in the last printed issue(#150).

Dungeon Magazine #129 also published an NPC villain tied to the DVD and the Empire of Ismir(how it is spelled in issue #129). A ghost wizard named Malex possessing the form of an earth elemental who once worshipped Jubilex. Dungeon Magazine ran several small non-adventure article series including this one which would publish and fully detail various NPCs. Dungeon Magazine #144 detailed Bargle the Infamous in the series, which you already have on the Mystara 3/4/5E index thread.

Thank you so much for digging out these. I included them in the Movie Product List.

Here's a neat podcast about Wrath of the Dragon God. It does take some pokes at the movie, but the group are clearly gamers so you get some of the gamer perspective that can be useful.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Other Worlds