Diablo Setting: Anyone play?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Diablo Setting: Anyone play?

Post by Havard »

How many AD&D products based on the Diablo games were published? Did anyone use this setting for their games?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Diablo Setting: Anyone play?

Post by RobJN »

Havard wrote:How many AD&D products based on the Diablo games were published? Did anyone use this setting for their games?

-Havard
I bought some of the product out of curiosity, back in the day. Diablo II: The Awakening as well as the Fast Play boxed set were for 2nd edition. Diablo II: Diablerie rehashed "Awakening" for the 3rd Edition rule set, while adding quite a few monsters. Diablo II: To Hell and Back rehashed the information in the Diablerie, and presented the first four acts of the game for tabletop play. A web enhancement covered the Secret Cow Level.

The only set I didn't get was the "Fast Play" boxed set. I also picked up the books for the (pages and pages and PAGES! of) magic item generation tables.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Sanctuary] Diablo Setting: Anyone play?

Post by Havard »

Interesting! I had forgotten that some of this material was published in the 3E era. I wonder if WotC (or some other company) will try to publish more Pen & Paper RPG material for Diablo now that Diablo 3 is out?

BTW I found some things that could be useful for someone wishing to run a Diablo RPG game:

Diablo 3 World Map
Sanctuary Setting

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:Interesting! I had forgotten that some of this material was published in the 3E era. I wonder if WotC (or some other company) will try to publish more Pen & Paper RPG material for Diablo now that Diablo 3 is out?
They will have to cut a deal with Blizzard to do that.

If they wanted to work with Blizzard, I would have thought that they (and not Sword and Sorcery Studios) would have been the ones to publish the Warcraft and World of Warcraft RPGs.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:They will have to cut a deal with Blizzard to do that.

If they wanted to work with Blizzard, I would have thought that they (and not Sword and Sorcery Studios) would have been the ones to publish the Warcraft and World of Warcraft RPGs.

Since Sword & Sorcery (White Wolf Imprint) is no longer around, could other companies be interested in filling that niche? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:They will have to cut a deal with Blizzard to do that.

Since Sword & Sorcery (White Wolf Imprint) is no longer around, could other companies be interested in filling that niche? :)
Bizarrely, I found out earlier this month that Wizards of the Coast did make a Warcraft roleplaying book (the Warcraft III Player's Guide) but that they cancelled it, after it was written but before it was published. So I guess WotC did have a full licence to publish books for every setting that Blizzard makes computer games for.

There was another company that attempted to publish a 4th Edition version of Warcraft/World of Warcraft. Maybe they also had a license for Diablo (and/or Starcraft).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Other Worlds”