[Fantasy Earth] [Href] TSRs HR books vs. Mythic Vistas

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

[Fantasy Earth] [Href] TSRs HR books vs. Mythic Vistas

Post by Princess Strega »

Okay, I am definitely paring down my collection of gaming books. I want some books in my collection that have the Historical feel and I have some of the Mythic Vistas line that emulates this; Eternal Rome, Hamunaptra, Medieval Player's Manual, Testament. I think the only ones I'm missing are Skull & Crossbones and The Trojan War.

My question is; How do the Mythic Vistas historical books stack up against the TSRs Historical Reference line? I have both and as I prefer D&D 3.5 / D20 (Pathfinder inclusive) it is easier to use the MV line in a D20 game than converting the HR line to D20 standards. I have almost all of the HR line (I think I'm only missing one book), but with the upcoming purge I am curious how fellow gamers feel how one line stacks up against the other.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: TSRs HR books vs. Mythic Vistas

Post by Big Mac »

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:My question is; How do the Mythic Vistas historical books stack up against the TSRs Historical Reference line? I have both and as I prefer D&D 3.5 / D20 (Pathfinder inclusive) it is easier to use the MV line in a D20 game than converting the HR line to D20 standards. I have almost all of the HR line (I think I'm only missing one book), but with the upcoming purge I am curious how fellow gamers feel how one line stacks up against the other.
I can't really say what is "better" as I don't have them both yet.

But I do have Hamunaptra and I'd be inclined to augment it with ideas inspired by the Egyptian parts of Legends and Lore, rather than ditch Legends & Lore.

Likewise I have Aesheba: Greek Africa, and would raid it for ideas for both Greatspace (the Greek-themed crystal sphere from Spelljammer) and Nyambe (the African Adventures campaign setting). But I would also cross-raid those products to add to Aesheba. And this is before I even look at the Greek HR product.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

I have most of the historical books, but none of the mystic vistas. Generally speaking, however, I think it would come down to which style you prefer. The HR series probably has more meat to it, and be much better researched from a historical perspective. D20 books are very often much leaner in terms of text and not as thoroughly researched for historical context, but will be much more creative and fanciful in their approach. They also require less conversion, as well.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

I own a couple of the HR books, and several of the Mythic Vistas books. The only settings for which I have both are Rome and Greece, and I've read the latter more carefully. Age of Heroes (HR) covers a wider scope of time and space (the mythological and Classical Greek world), while Trojan War (MV) focuses on that single period, but in much more lavish detail. Both series seem to be pretty well researched; the Mythic Vistas books have a great deal more non-crunch material than a typical d20 sourcebook. (They're also by Green Ronin rather than WOTC, which explains a great deal of that!)

OTOH, I've never used either Greece sourcebook to run a D&D game. Instead, I use them (along with GURPS Greece) as reference and inspiration for my BESM Greek myth campaign.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

I only have the Rome Green Ronin book, and compared with the HR book, I find the latter superior, in particular regarding the approach to magic; the former is essentially "D&D with Romans", the latter removes or alters classes and spells.

thorr-kan
Troll

Post by thorr-kan »

rabindranath72 wrote:I only have the Rome Green Ronin book, and compared with the HR book, I find the latter superior, in particular regarding the approach to magic; the former is essentially "D&D with Romans", the latter removes or alters classes and spells.
Second this.

The HR series is much more about bending the 2ED rules to fit a "real world" setting, with some fantastic elements. The Mythic Vistas are more about historical high fantasy.

I personally prefer the former, but Mythic Vista's makes a good read.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

I guess for me it boils down to keeping both. Thanks for all the information.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Working on the Avalanche Press modules made me go back to this thread.

Here are the lists of books in these series:

THE AD&D HISTORICAL REFERENCE SERIES (TSR) MYTHIC VISTAS D20 SEREIES (GREEN RONIN, Historical Books Only)
  • Hamunaptra: Egyptian Adventures
  • Trojan War
  • Testament
  • Eternal Rome
  • Medieval Player's Handbook
  • Skulls & Bones
I have included the historical books from the series only. A complete list of Mythic Vistas Books here.

ERA | AD&D HR SERIES | D20 MYTHIC VISTAS | D20 AVALANCHE PRESS | GURPS MYTHIC PAST |HR6: Age of Heroes | Trojan War, Egyptian Adventures, Testament |Twilight of Atlantis, Nile Empire: War In Heliopolis | GURPS Atlantis, GURPS EGYPT, GURPS GREECE, GURPS Ice Age ANCIENT WORLD | HR5: The Glory of Rome, HR3: Celts | Eternal Rome | Celtic Age: Role-Playing the Myths, Heroes & Monsters of the Celts, The Little People: A d20 Guide to Fairies, Endless Sands: Arabian Adventures, Jade & Steel: Role-Playing In Mythic China | GURPS CELTS, GURPS Imperial Rome, GURPS Celtic Myths, GURPS Arabian Adventures, GURPS China EARLY MEDIEVAL | HR2: Charlemagne's Paladins |- | I, Mordred: The Fall & Rise Of Camelot, Battle for Medieval Iberia, | GURPS Camelot VIKING AGE |HR1: Vikings | - | Ragnarok! Tales of The Norse Gods, Doom Of Odin: Tales of the Norse Gods (Ragnarok Expansion), Viking Age: Roleplaying the Myths, Heroes & Monsters of the Vikings | GURPS Vikings MEDIEVAL | HR7: The Crusades | Medieval Player's Handbook | Noble Steeds: A d20 Guide to Horses & Mounts, Noble Knights: A d20 Guide To Knightly Orders, The Last Days Of Constantinople: Role-Playing Adventure In The Byzantine Empire, Vlad The Impaler: Blood Prince Of Wallachia , Greenland Saga: The Lost Norse Colony | GURPS Middle Ages I, GURPS Robin Hood, GURPS Russia POST MEDIEVAL | HR4: A Mighty Fortress | Skulls & Bones | All For One and One For All, Black Flags: Piracy in the Caribbean, Aztecs: Empire of the Dying Sun | GURPS Swashbucklers, GURPS Aztecs, GURPS Japan VICTORIAN | ( Masque of the Red Death, A Guide to Transylvania: A Masque of the Red Death Accessory, Masque of the Red Death, The Gothic Earth Gazetteer: A Masque of the Red Death Accessory) | - | - | GURPS Scarlet Pimpernell, GURPS Napoleon, GURPS Old West

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Fantasy Earth] TSRs HR books vs. Mythic Vistas

Impressive, Havard! Thank you so much for the list!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Glad to help TAD!

It was good research for me to get an overview of the books myself too.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

The Angelic Dragon wrote:Impressive, Havard! Thank you so much for the list!
I'll second that.

There is some content, that might be useful for some of TSR's HR books in Legends and Lore (which I know was cut down from Deities & Demigods). Maybe it might be worth adding that to your table.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RichGreen
Ogre

Post by RichGreen »

Hi,

I ran a really fun Pirates of the Caribbean campaign using Skull & Bones a few years ago – there are session write ups on ENWorld. Although it uses a version of the d20 rules, the game feels really different to D&D but was perfect for me wanting to create that PotC/Monkey Island/On Stranger Tides pirates + voodoo vibe ;)

Cheers

Rich

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder »

"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

RichGreen wrote:I ran a really fun Pirates of the Caribbean campaign using Skull & Bones a few years ago – there are session write ups on ENWorld. Although it uses a version of the d20 rules, the game feels really different to D&D but was perfect for me wanting to create that PotC/Monkey Island/On Stranger Tides pirates + voodoo vibe ;)
Did you ever consider rebooting that campaign and releasing a book (like you did with Parsantium) or maybe using it to make a Pirates of Parsantium expansion?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Big Mac wrote:Did you ever consider rebooting that campaign and releasing a book (like you did with Parsantium) or maybe using it to make a Pirates of Parsantium expansion?
:cool: Ooh...that would be an awesome expansion to Parsantium!

Return to “Other Worlds”