"The Vale" and "Knacker Knob" in TR (ideas for merging)

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

"The Vale" and "Knacker Knob" in TR (ideas for merging)

Postby Grim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:03 pm

Hey, I figured I would start a new topic about my campaign (after badly failing a spot check and getting guided by Havard!) instead of bugging other threads that closely relate! I will be adding info a bit at a time for anybody on the forums to use any ideas and in turn i will be asking if anybody has any similar scenario ideas to please share. I am a player lol and I'm in a situation that most players find themselves in when you are the only one in your group of friends and family who knows how to game. Forced Dungeonmastering I call it. So...the more simple the setting/dungeons the easier it is...and besides, most of the old school d&d (my era) is "no-DM" worthy, so I can play a character along with the group (which is mostly 2-3 +dm) and not know what happens next. The main reason I am posting this thread is to get as much information as possible so the characters can go anywhere and do anything without "oh your going there? well, hold on for an hour while i read..." lol

In a nutshell, the campaign is called "DragonShadow" ...a "tutorial" beginning setting based on "The Vale" inside a 1st to whatever level setting (TR/Knacker Knob) inside the "Known World/Hollow World" Mystara. I have also included "dimensional travel" to other worlds including "Krynn" from "DL" and my own created world called....GRYMM which is an "alternate universe of Krynn". This way the scenario is always changing, adding flare and extra storyline...like a Kender following the characters back to Thunder Rift (an ancestor of Tass Burrfoot of course!)

Slowly I will be adding the elements to my campaign if there is any interest, and will likely add anyways even if nobody cares...You guys are stuck with me now!!!!

Quick shout out to Havard, you have been a great help so far, thank you from the heart for all your time and effort to help out us old and new school d&d obsessors!
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Re: "The Vale" (ideas for merging)

Postby Grim » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 am

This is where I found the idea about where to put "The Vale" in TR: by Dirtskull
Keep in mind, tho that the scale of "The Vale" is 15(12 in my game) miles per inch and TR is 1 mile=1 inch

Any ideas or thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Last edited by Grim on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Re: "Knacker Knob" in TR (ideas for merging)

Postby Grim » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:42 am

The way I incorporated "Knacker Knob" from the "Dragons Den" box set, was to make the region containing Melinir, Torlynn, Edgewater, the mines, and the swamps the "Knacker Knob" region named by the Hinfolk (Halflings) that used to live in the huts. Canonologically lol i think it's caller the "Melinir Region" (BORING)

The credit for this idea goes to Chris Seabrook
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Re: "The Vale" in TR (ideas for merging)

Postby Grim » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm thinking of down-sizing the Vale to the same scale as TR, and just adjusting the adventures accordingly...this makes travel to any location in the Vale more simpler with no camping...then when the characters are ready to leave the Vale, the adventures will start being further away. So "The Vale" (the beginning area) will have really no need for wilderness adventures training the players on dungeons and towns as travel to any part is within a day. Then Thunder Rift will continue the training with wilderness adventures (camping and such), and bigger towns.
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Grim wrote:Any ideas or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I don't have any thoughts on this, I'm afraid, but your earlier mention of The Vale, Knacker-Knob and Thunder Rift (in the Introduce yourself here) topic, made me interested enough in Knacker-Knob to start a Knacker-Knob topic. So, I will be interested to see how you get on with your ideas, even though I'm probably not going to have anything to contribute. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Gravesguardian » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Grim wrote:Any ideas or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Why put one inside the other? Why not set the various Vale adventures in that canyoned area shown on the map & just have Edgewater replace Haven as the starting town?
Gravesguardian
Hobgoblin

Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: "The Vale" and "Knacker Knob" in TR (ideas for merging)

Postby Havard » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Hey,
just wanted to mention that I am following this thread with great interest! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Grim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Why put one inside the other? Why not set the various Vale adventures in that canyoned area shown on the map & just have Edgewater replace Haven as the starting town?

Ya that is an ok idea, but I want to try and keep the vale as cannon as possible with all vale adventures revolving around Haven (in the horned hills) and then when the players are ready for more wilderness adventuring, then the adventures will travel to edgewater (a way with words) and then get captured and thrown in Zanzer's dungeon leaving the players in the northern map of TR where they can do Goblin Den, Raven's Ruin, and then travel south to Melinir to do the "Melinir Area" quests and Dragons Den (as I made Melinir area "Knacker Knob. Then after escape from TR, the players of end up near Bywater in the Known world. That is when we can go crazy with major travel and known word adventures. So basically, every town has character level "suggestion" i guess, for example. Haven (level 1-2) Edgewater (level 1-2) Kleine (Level 2-3) Melinir/Torlynn (Level 2-4)

And I guess I just fell in love with the town "Haven" it's just perfect for beginning level characters and noob players with adventures built right in the town and short wilderness adventures to get players trained on what D&D is all about.
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby Grim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:57 pm

I guess that brings up a good question; Does anybody know exactly where "Bywater" is on the Karameikos (sp?) map? For the lif of me a cannot find it unless it is just too small for the map? Its along a certain river running east and west i think called "castellan river?" (i may be wrong, ill check) I found said river on map. but no Bywater. If someone familiar with Mystara can answer this, that would be great. It is mentioned in "Escape from TR" but nothing is on the map in the handbook that the quest points you to.
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby Grim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Finally found me a picture of Haven! Untill I can find a copy of "The Adventure Begins Now" box set deliverable to Canada, that will have to do to start. The only thing I am missing now is the "Undertown" which is a map of tunnels under the town, and "Black Isle" (i think) which is a small island with a seemingly haunted or abandoned manor and tower. Anybody that has this box set, if you can portray some info about Haven and The Vale that would be great. As you know, I am not looking for free stuff, as I have every intention of finding and purchasing everything for my campaign. (except for the legal free stuff) lol
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby Grim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:05 pm

I'm still a goblin....wow, how many posts do I need to level up?????? lol Oh well, noobism at its finest! I like that feature, by the way, kind of a "reward" for contribution and discussion.

CHEERS TO ALL!!
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Re: "The Vale" in TR (ideas for merging)

Postby Grim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Grim wrote:I'm thinking of down-sizing the Vale to the same scale as TR, and just adjusting the adventures accordingly...this makes travel to any location in the Vale more simpler with no camping...then when the characters are ready to leave the Vale, the adventures will start being further away. So "The Vale" (the beginning area) will have really no need for wilderness adventures training the players on dungeons and towns as travel to any part is within a day. Then Thunder Rift will continue the training with wilderness adventures (camping and such), and bigger towns.

The only adventure that uses the size for travel and camp attacks is "Eye of the Wyvern." After careful thought, what i did was make thunder rift bigger and the vale smaller: (everything 1 inch=4 miles) and then set Haven making sure there was at least two days travel to Wyven Falls for better matching the adventure. I know in the future i have to make some adjustments to adventures in Thunder Rift with "timelines" that coincide with travel. For example I think there is a part of Goblins den where you have to get ahead of a travelling group of goblins with a certain itinerary of time and travel.

1 inch=4miles works very well (4,8,16,20,24) pretty much the various speeds of a day's travel
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Return to Thunder Rift