Questions on The Vale (and it's optional placement in TR)

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Questions on The Vale (and it's optional placement in TR)

Postby Grim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:44 am

Hello all, this question is directed at Havard (bug bug, poke poke)

Is there any info you or anyone else can give me on the Vale specifically Haven without getting into copyright laws(i am unfamiliar with material protocall) just know I intend to purchase everything I need when I find it....
Pop
NPC's
Quests(especially Black Isle, undertown, Mt. Dometop, Moltenclaw, and the other red marks on the Havard map (discluding eye of wyvern and wrath of minotaur as i allready have)
Haven map/undertown map
History

also, a location if there is any specific for smoke dragon...I don't believe that one was meant to be in the vale....any thoughts or was that fan added?
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Re: Questions on The Vale (and it's optional placement in TR

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:26 am

Haven is a small village, with probably around 40 or so buildings, although the mp included in the boxed set does seem to cut off the southern portion of the town so it is possible that it is somewhat larger.

It is descruved as a snakk farming community on the Gryphon River.

The main locations are:
1. The Temple of the Holy Defender
2. Patriarch's House
3. Willow Inn
4. Merry Minotaur Inn (Interesting name since one of the adventures will feature a not-so-merry Minotaur)
5. Stable
6. Blacksmith
7. Kosi's General Goods
8. Haven Graveyard
9. Tailor
10. Tanner
11. Scribe
12. Watch Tower
13. Town Elder
14. Hall of Elders
15. Old Alejandro's Cottage
16. Black Isle

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 am

Known NPCs of The Vale
The Patriarch: Grey bearded man, apparently powerful enough to raise the dead :o . One of the Town Elders
Lady Ostur: Owner of the Merry Minotaur. One of the Town Elders.
Dagger Daneer: She is a retired Thief. Age 29.
Ulan: Halfling who works in the stables.
Falgur Ironstone: Dwarven Blacksmith. Are the Ironstones the main Dwarven Clan on the area? One of the Town Elders
Kosi: A young widow running the local store
Kestin Pane: Leader of the Town Elders, essentially the Mayor of Haven
Kira Pane: 16 year old daughter of Kestin.
Farmer Mingolf: One of the Town Elders
Old Alejandro: A wizard, living in a hard to find hut in the forest edge.
Restad: A Vampire recently having arrived in the valley and having taken shelter on the Black Isle
Trust: King of the local Bugbear Tribe
Moltenclaw: A Red Dragon (51 Hp)

Eye of the Wyvern
Murri Thistledown: A Halfling often found travelling the wilderness around Haven
Bobbie: A human from the farming community near Wyvern Falls
Old John: Human. Leader of the farmers near Wyvern Falls
Ferga: An older woman from the farming community near Wyvern Falls
Ironfang's Dog: Dog of the Dwarven Blacksmith in Haven. It has been missing lately.

Wrath of the Minotaur
Alaxus: A Mage who once ruled over the entire valley with an iron fist. Although he was human, he was known as the Minotaur Mage. Believed to be dead.
Macques: A herder, often seen travelling the wilderness. He is trailed with the crossbow.

Stock PCs
Darkblade: Human Fighter
Elanna: Human Fighter
Mitchifer: Human Priest
Niles: Halfling Thief
Peregrine: Human Paladin
Sunblayze: Elf Fighter/Wizard
Thaddeus: Human Wizard
Thordar: Dwwarf Fighter

Stock PCS (Crypt of the Smoke Dragon)

Graywulf: Human Fighter
Stardancer: Elf Rogue
Delavan: Dwarf Priest
Zanthar Rex: Human Wizard
Maxie: A dog whose owner was slain.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Grim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Awesome, thank you very much, that is good info and enough to get a good start.

Is there anything you can tell me in short point form some details of the quests (do not need eye of wyvern or wrath of minotaur or smoke dragon)
just black isle, undertown(especially where the entrances exits are as i have a picture of haven), moltenclaw, old temple, that old mage in the woods, npc's with quests/info, stuff like that, oh and a little history.

I hope I'm not being too selfish and demanding of your time, please only do what time allows and let me know if there is something you cannot do.

I probably know it's too much to ask, but a few scanned maps would be awesome too of any quests or black isle manor or undertown, moltenclaw lair or even Haven itself as the picture I have is taken off a sample of a box set for sale at amazon!

Keep in mind I will honestly be buying this box set as soon as i am able, giving TSR or WOC their fair pay, even if i have to get myself a U.S. address to mail it to LOL... I know it probably doesn't work on trust, but I'm getting desperate and can't wait for years to start this campaign!

Question ...is the dog you mentioned the dog that may or may not be found in crypt of smoke dragon? who was it...maxie? if so was that added by you or other vale cannon material because i have eye of wyvern and don't remember anyone missing a dog! lol i will recheck that tho!
cheers

oh ya and one small correction "Bobby" from Wyvern falls area is a Human Child...very important as the party has a choice to let them help kill wyvens (bad idea hes just a kid it would be hard keeping him alive and not pissing off the parents!) (i've got detail O.C.D)
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby Grim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Oh ya and are there any other towns mentioned besides Haven and Wyvern Falls and any info and/or maps on them would be great...help me Havard...your my only hope...
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Grim wrote:Awesome, thank you very much, that is good info and enough to get a good start.

Is there anything you can tell me in short point form some details of the quests (do not need eye of wyvern or wrath of minotaur or smoke dragon)
just black isle, undertown(especially where the entrances exits are as i have a picture of haven), moltenclaw, old temple, that old mage in the woods, npc's with quests/info, stuff like that, oh and a little history.

The Old Mage character is mainly meant to be a mentor to Magic-User PCs. The thing about his magical house that is difficult to find is just to add flavor I think.

The Black Isle is home to the Vampire Restad mentioned above. Basically a small and pretty standard dungeon. The Isle was the old temple, but that has now located to the main part of town. Restad is a recent arrival so I dont know if there is another reason why it was abandoned. I am not at home right now so writing from memory of what I checked yesterday, but can check some more details again tomorrow.

I hope I'm not being too selfish and demanding of your time, please only do what time allows and let me know if there is something you cannot do.

Not a problem :)

I probably know it's too much to ask, but a few scanned maps would be awesome too of any quests or black isle manor or undertown, moltenclaw lair or even Haven itself as the picture I have is taken off a sample of a box set for sale at amazon!

I don't have access to a scanner right now, but I will see what I can do :)

Question ...is the dog you mentioned the dog that may or may not be found in crypt of smoke dragon? who was it...maxie? if so was that added by you or other vale cannon material because i have eye of wyvern and don't remember anyone missing a dog! lol i will recheck that tho!
cheers

You find a dog at one of the encounters. I flipped through those modules pretty quickly, but I thought that was from Eye of the Wyvern. Maxie and Ironfang's Dog are two separate dogs.

oh ya and one small correction "Bobby" from Wyvern falls area is a Human Child...very important as the party has a choice to let them help kill wyvens (bad idea hes just a kid it would be hard keeping him alive and not pissing off the parents!) (i've got detail O.C.D)

Very good! I will correct the entry. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Grim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:54 pm

Thank you Havard, please tell me anything I can do to return the favor...lemme know...I am in your debt. Just in case you are wondering why I am so intent on the details when I can just create whatever I want, but as soon as I find this box set, I don't want to have to change a whole bunch of things already encountered. Ex:"Upon travelling back to Haven after world jumping through dimensional portals for a couple years, you see your old friend The Patriarch...you remember her being a woman, but now she's a guy and always was and you guys were so drunk back in the day you were mistaken..........any questions?.(after 20 minutes of stupid questions)...ok, what do you do?" LOL
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby Grim » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:11 am

Murri Thistledown: A Halfling often found travelling the wilderness around Haven

Murri Thistletoes? VERY annoying Halfling like hey spike hey spike! we gunna kill some dogs today spike? party should have to have a meeting about whether to kill him or friend him LOL
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby Grim » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:15 am

Havard wrote:Known NPCs of The Vale
The Patriarch: Grey bearded man, apparently powerful enough to raise the dead :o . One of the Town Elders
Lady Ostur: Owner of the Merry Minotaur. One of the Town Elders.
Dagger Daneer: She is a retired Thief. Age 29.
Ulan: Halfling who works in the stables.
Falgur Ironstone: Dwarven Blacksmith. Are the Ironstones the main Dwarven Clan on the area? One of the Town Elders
Kosi: A young widow running the local store
Kestin Pane: Leader of the Town Elders, essentially the Mayor of Haven
Kira Pane: 16 year old daughter of Kestin.
Farmer Mingolf: One of the Town Elders
Old Alejandro: A wizard, living in a hard to find hut in the forest edge.
Restad: A Vampire recently having arrived in the valley and having taken shelter on the Black Isle
Trust: King of the local Bugbear Tribe
Moltenclaw: A Red Dragon (51 Hp)

Eye of the Wyvern
Bobbie: A human from the farming community near Wyvern Falls
Old John: Human. Leader of the farmers near Wyvern Falls
Ferga: An older woman from the farming community near Wyvern Falls
Ironfang's Dog: Dog of the Dwarven Blacksmith in Haven. It has been missing lately.

Wrath of the Minotaur
Alaxus: A Mage who once ruled over the entire valley with an iron fist. Although he was human, he was known as the Minotaur Mage. Believed to be dead.
Macques: A herder, often seen travelling the wilderness. He is trailed with the crossbow.

Stock PCs
Darkblade: Human Fighter
Elanna: Human Fighter
Mitchifer: Human Priest
Niles: Halfling Thief
Peregrine: Human Paladin
Sunblayze: Elf Fighter/Wizard
Thaddeus: Human Wizard
Thordar: Dwwarf Fighter

Stock PCS (Crypt of the Smoke Dragon)

Graywulf: Human Fighter
Stardancer: Elf Rogue
Delavan: Dwarf Priest
Zanthar Rex: Human Wizard
Maxie: A dog whose owner was slain.

-Havard

Hey brother, You missed Megan (will double check and edit if need) she represents the patriarch and meets you in wyvern falls when completed with payment and goodies
Cheers and g'mornin?
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Postby apotheot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:04 am

Its not much help, but I remember hearing at a convention back in 1997 that this stuff was supposed to be set in the Realms, but they didn't want to "place it" as it they wanted DM's to decide where it was on their own. The intent was to make some mentions to things like Alaxus in later FR products to give it a proper placement.
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Grim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Good to know, TY!
GRIM
Grim
Orc

Return to Thunder Rift