Giants in Thunder Rift?

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Giants in Thunder Rift?

Post by Bouv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:10 pm

So I'm looking over the Thunder Rift campaign setting book and reading on Grakken Wood and it says "...trees with huge claw marks, massive boulders that have been split into pieces, and other evidence of strength beyondhuman limits. There are trails worn deep into the earth by huge feet, and indications of battles between large opponents..."

So just reading that over makes it sound like giants may inhabit parts of Thunder Rift as well and if not giants, what else could it be? If it is giants, what kind would you put in? Standard hill and stone giants or go for something bigger and badder?

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Giants in Thunder Rift?

Post by Sturm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:55 am

As I put TR in Davania, around the Brasol range as Havard suggested, IIRC, I would place giants not inside the valley but in the mountains outside... I would use stone and mountain giants mostly, with their distinct davanian culture somehow different from the one of Brun's giants... If you put TR in a remote mountain area of the KW you could use giants in the mountains anyway..
Even if giants do live only outside the valley it's not impossible that some of them could enter it from time to time...

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Bouv wrote:if not giants, what else could it be?
I don't see giants leaving claw marks on trees. It sounds more like something a dragon would do. "Grakken" also reminds me of drakken (though a google search tells me that this is what a Grakken is). "Battles between large opponents" might indicate fights between giants and dragons, though.

I really think they're just meant to be big, scary, clawed monsters that DMs can develop however they want: anything from dinosaurs to seergar or griffons to rocs to the Jabberwocky could work. Another strong possibility is the rockfang from The Five Shires gazetteer, since it feeds partially on trees, has a huge claw on the tip of its tail that it uses to aid its climbing, and is known for camouflaging itself with rocks - I can imagine them smashing up boulders for this purpose, especially if the rockfangs of Grakken Wood are larger than those of the Shires. The only wrinkle is that they don't have feet. However, they can extrude temporary feet if they choose (and the illustration in GAZ 8 has feet).

Belathauzer
Ogre

Post by Belathauzer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:45 pm

One of the first things that springs to mind after reading that excerpt is the classic monster - Bulette. That classic MM picture of the Bulette chasing a halfling up a tree is great. The creature description fits the setting and text too.

I like to play Grakken Wood as a dangerous, foreboding place (kind of like the forest in Princess Bride). I can see Ogres and Owlbears filling this niche too, though Giants may be a big too big for Thunder Rift. If giants are present I'd make them few and far between, perhaps even unique encounters, such as "THE Giant of Thunder Rift". That's my take at least.
-- Long live Mystara!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Since I place Thunder Rift in the Northwestern corner of Karameikos, that suggests that the Frost Giants of the Altan Tepes mountains might wander into TR every now and then...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

gnarfunk
Goblin

Post by gnarfunk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:46 am

The book says that Grakken Woods' ogres and owlbears are responsible for the claw marks and broken rocks.

Return to “Thunder Rift”