TR map project

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

DirtSkull
Gnoll

TR map project

Post by DirtSkull » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:43 pm

I believe if the maps were better, this setting would get more run. I'm not a designer or an artist in any way so I was hoping for some help or direction.

The town maps of Kleine and Torlynn need to be slightly larger with more structures(I would increase the populations of each). The lake village of Edgewater needs a look. I was thinking it to have the(only)ferry that goes out to Mage Island(which also needs drawn out). Edgewater would have accommodations for travelers to Mage Island. So some fancy Inns for politicians/nobles/mage students and Quadrial adventuring types would be frequenting this popular, vacation-esque, village.

A nomadic/barbaric grassland tribe would also work somewhere.

And lastly, the Vale needs a spot on the big map.

[url=http://lunapic.com>]Image[/url]

I was thinking right here. That "Caravan" trail that normally leads up that way needs to be a road/river.
Last edited by DirtSkull on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Re: Need TR map work done

Post by DirtSkull » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:50 pm

The Haven map works for me, but these need tuned-up.

I know that wall faces the swamp, I still don't like it.

These just need more detail and structures.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Re: TR map project

Post by DirtSkull » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Sites like this can help with the determining the population. Once that is in place, buildings can be mapped out and labeled.

I am also getting some good direction from the Library of Gaming Maps Google+ community.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 am

Here's some progress.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:45 am

I'm not familiar with TR so if there is a setting specific info about "Kleine" contradicting what I'm about to write, then never mind.

Why is the leatherworker occupying such prime real estate? And why is the wharfmaster so far away from the wharfs? You might want to consider switching these two. Although there's also that odd long skinny building attached to the Inn that might be an alternative site for one or the other - assuming that's not meant to be some sort of stabling for the Inn.

#2 & #7 don't seem to be actually marked on the map that I can see, though "the Docks" are obvious enough that it probably doesn't need to be specifically called out. I'm guessing the "watchtower" is supposed to be the round structure between #3, #4, & #11?

What are the three (or four if the one at the north top of the map is meant to be 2 seperate ones) long and straight structures? (the one or two on the northern edge of the map, the one just north of the Stockyard, and the one leading north away from the marked #12 farm). Remenants of old walls?

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Here is what I've been tooling.

Last edited by DirtSkull on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Whoohoy! Loving it mr Dirtskull! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:29 am

More work.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:19 am

Sweet.

so I guess those huge gray squares were supposed to be fields rather than buildings? Makes sense.

Any chance of making the rivers/lake blue? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Havard wrote:Any chance of making the rivers/lake blue?
Work in progress. So far no. I can't seem to duplicate the roads either. I wanted some trees here & there too. This program I've been using is the easiest for the structures. These maps now can get put into some kind of photoshop. I'm working on Melinir which is harder to do this to because of all of the irregular shaped buildings.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:21 am

Very Beautiful. Did you make them yourself or do they came from some rpg book?

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:30 am

Sturm wrote:Very Beautiful. Did you make them yourself or do they came from some rpg book?
NOOoooo I did not make these. I think the top one is Monkeyblood's and I'm not sure who "JR" is but he is responsible for the beautiful bottom one. I did search for towns that were similar in shape but larger in town population(and detail). I did flip and label these accordingly with a simple photoshop.

Cheers to fantasy map makers on the internet, their work is appreciated. :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:43 pm

DirtSkull wrote:
DirtSkull wrote: Image
These maps are beautiful. Maybe if you flip and reverse this last one it will match up with Melinir?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:18 am

Havard wrote:Maybe if you flip and reverse this last one it will match up with Melinir?
Um, Havard, that is a Melinir map flipped 90 degrees. Look at the text on the lower left and tilt your head at that angle.

Kylun
Orc

Post by Kylun » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:30 pm

Havard wrote:
DirtSkull wrote:
DirtSkull wrote: Image
These maps are beautiful. Maybe if you flip and reverse this last one it will match up with Melinir?

-Havard
Actually, I don't think the color one is Melinir. Based off of Melinir no doubt, but the scaling is all wrong. There are no temples, nor the Base of the Quadrial, also the buildings' scales are off. This would make Melinir a much larger city than the hamlet of 200 +/- that it's described as.

Still, it is a beauty of a map!
"All of my accomplishments have been by my own hand, my failures my own undoing. No one, not man nor god has dictated my fate."

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:26 am

Kylun wrote:These maps are beautiful. Maybe if you flip and reverse this last one it will match up with Melinir?
Actually, I don't think the color one is Melinir. Based off of Melinir no doubt, but the scaling is all wrong. There are no temples, nor the Base of the Quadrial, also the buildings' scales are off. This would make Melinir a much larger city than the hamlet of 200 +/- that it's described as.[/quote]

DirtSkull did tell Sturm that it was a similar map (rather than one that was supposed to be Melnir).

The major differences I see are that, the forked road leaving the area from the north has been removed, the fortified districts to the south east of Melnir have been removed, the actual lake has been moved (with a new river tributary to the south of the area, and the unfortified southern side has a city wall built across it.
Kylun wrote:Still, it is a beauty of a map!
It's very beautiful. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

banesbox
Goblin

Post by banesbox » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:11 am

I've been a way for a bit due to medical issues, but everything is okay for now, so I'm back. I have been working on map design and techniques since Thanksgiving via Photoshop and Illustrator. It's not an easy thing to do, even with a veteran Photoshop user such as myself. I have been able to duplicate many of the older TSR full color maps along with the newer WOTC full color maps with great success. The issue I have is time. These types of maps require 100+ hours to create and have lots of detail and as much as I would love to redo the entire Thunder Rift map series, I don't know if I have the patience to do them all. I might give it a shot, maybe do Kleine as a test map, see how it turns out?

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm confused. Was the Vale canonically set in TR? I had heard somewhere years ago that it was in FR.
-Apotheot

Grim
Orc

Post by Grim » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 am

apotheot wrote:
I'm confused. Was the Vale canonically set in TR? I had heard somewhere years ago that it was in FR.
-Apotheot
No, it is not canonically set in TR, but fits really well. That's the first I've heard about it being in FR? Any truth to this would be great, because my campaign is going to end up in forgotten realms as soon as all my players are professionals
GRIM

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 am

Grim wrote:
apotheot wrote:
-Apotheot
No, it is not canonically set in TR, but fits really well. That's the first I've heard about it being in FR? Any truth to this would be great, because my campaign is going to end up in forgotten realms as soon as all my players are professionals
I never heard this before.

I decided to start a new topic: Is The Vale part of Thunder Rift or Forgotten Realms? so we don't derail this one. I'd love it if you both came over and told me more about this. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Thunder Rift”