[Project] The Thunder Rift Gazetteer

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

firebee
Bugbear

Re: [Project] The Thunder Rift Gazetteer

Post by firebee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:08 pm

Havard wrote:Time to take a new look at this one maybe?
I'm up for it!
One of the things I really am not quite happy with yet is the Timeline. I feel that there are decisions made there (by me) that are not solidly enough founded in canon. The fact that canon is vague and contradictory on a few of those issues (how long ago did all of these things happen anyway?) is perhaps the core of the problem, but I think a solid reworking would be useful.

I think our aim should be to produce a Thunder Rift gazetteer for every edition of D&D. Coming up with a purely fluff based booklet first might be a good start, because then we can copy and paste most of that info between the books as we add cruncy bits.
I think a system neutral gazetteer with system specific appendices would work best.
Right now, I am thinking that TR should be presented as "one nation" even if there is no central government in the valley and it basically consists of various factions. That is another thing that has bothered me for a while, so it is worth having thought through.
I absolutely agree!
I would like to see the Gazetteer remaining fairly flexible in terms of location, size etc, but with suggestions from the editors along the way.
I like this idea a lot. Though I also think that any adjustments should stay relative. For example, in my campaign I have increased the size of the valley and the population by 10. Yes, it is larger, but Melinir is still larger than Kleine, etc.
If we could get Colin to write a foreword, that would be totally awesome... :)

Havard
Colin, where are you??!!
Tom Mahaney

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:34 am

firebee wrote:I like this idea a lot. Though I also think that any adjustments should stay relative. For example, in my campaign I have increased the size of the valley and the population by 10. Yes, it is larger, but Melinir is still larger than Kleine, etc.
Maybe we could make a table with different multipliers of population figures and size of the valley?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

firebee
Bugbear

Post by firebee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Havard wrote:
firebee wrote:I like this idea a lot. Though I also think that any adjustments should stay relative. For example, in my campaign I have increased the size of the valley and the population by 10. Yes, it is larger, but Melinir is still larger than Kleine, etc.
Maybe we could make a table with different multipliers of population figures and size of the valley?

Havard
That's definitely a possibility, especially but it may just as easy to just multiply everything by some factor that suits the DM. If the DM would like to double the size of the population, then he could double the size of the valley. I kind of went to the extreme using a factor of 10, but I wanted to have a number of fairly high (name level) characters in the rift, as well as turn Melenir into a true city. Otherwise I was going to have to push the characters out of the rift before they became the dominant personalities. By expanding the rift, increasing the population, and upping the levels of the main characters, its been much easier to allow the characters to continue to adventure in the rift even though they are moving up to levels.
Tom Mahaney

firebee
Bugbear

Post by firebee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Anything new happening in people's TR games?

I recently scored a copy of the College of Wizardry mentioned by Belathauzer in another thread.. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the poster map. I don't suppose anyone knows where I could get a scan of the maps?

Anyway, Belathauzer was thinking about using this setting for Wizardspire, but I'm thinking of using it for the Mage Island school, and substitute Geoffrey for the head MU in the book. I'm also probably going to substitute the search for the "Language Primeval" with a more general search for all things/works magical.

Has anyone else used this product, either in TR or some other setting?
Tom Mahaney

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:19 pm

What is the current status of this project?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Giorgio wrote:What is the current status of this project?
Uhm, its a little bit on hold at the moment, but this recent renewed interest might make it viable to get back into it... :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Havard wrote:
Giorgio wrote:What is the current status of this project?
Uhm, its a little bit on hold at the moment, but this recent renewed interest might make it viable to get back into it... :)

Havard
Well, I have read every thread on this forum and comment on lots of them, so hopefully I can help get the ball rolling. :)

One thing I want to start off is with a poll on an updated population size of the civilized regions of the valley, using 3E rules to determine the needed information. The current population figures are to small and need to be updated.

Code: Select all

Town Size     Population
Thorp          20-80
Hamlet         81-400
Village        401-900
Small Town     901-2,000
Large Town     2,001-5,000
Need to make a list of the known population centers, offer suggestions, and make a poll.....

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Wed May 18, 2011 12:15 am

1) Wizard-Warrior Conflict: Everyone seems to like the idea of it being an Alphatian/Thyatian or Chaos/Law type conflict, rather than a black & white good vs. evil Wizards vs. Warriors conflict. We should definitely develop this more along these lines.
A Timeframe: Does this mean it is really in Glantri at the moment when Wizards fight the Non Wizards for control of Glantri?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:58 am

Is this thing still going? It sounds like a great idea.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

banesbox
Goblin

Post by banesbox » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:32 am

This stuff is like a gold mine.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon May 14, 2018 7:23 pm

A minor attempt to help you folks get this project back up & running. In a prior post someone mentioned collecting certain Thunder Riftian excerpts for inclusion into this project. Well, here they are:
==========================================
Thunder Rift (Volume #1, Issue #7. (Oct 1, 1993)
Melinir Hills, Edgewater: GNOME SEEKING ADVENTURERS!
Harfur Glumtoes, gnome scholar, has been advertising for a party of adventurers to handle a matter of "some delicacy". He is said to have moved to Edgewater recently, apparently to continue working on a research project. When not busy with his work, he holds occasional poetry readings from his many tomes of poetry.
Mike Phillips: msphil@tsrv1.ts.wm.edu
-----------------------------------------------------------
Thunder Rift (Volume #2, Issue #1. (Nov 1, 1993)
Melinir Hills, Edgewater: ADVENTURERS HEADING INTO SWAMP
The three adventurers hired by the gnome scholar Harfur Glumtoes were seen heading out of Edgewater. From their conversation, it sounded like they had been comissioned to retrieve the Book of Sappy, Drivelly Love Poetry. Further, they had visited the bard Rhiannon who lives just outside of town. Apparently, the book was stolen by a band of kobolds, so the three adventurers (apparently named Angus, Derek, and Pravnia) appear to be following their trail into the nearby swamp.
----------------------------------------------------------
Thunder Rift (Volume #2, Issue #2. (Dec 1, 1993)
Melinir Hills: Edgewater: BOOK RETURNED TO GNOME SCHOLAR!
The three adventurers hired by Harfur Glumtoes have returned, bearing the Book of Sappy, Drivelly Love Poetry. They placed the book back into the keeping of the gnome, despite an alleged offer to purchase the book by Rhiannon, the local bard. New signs have gone up, seeking adventurers to "recover a much-desired, artistically valuable book" said to be in "the clutches of an artistically insensitive scholar", to report to Rhiannon. The three who performed this task for Harfur have definitely left town, vowing to avoid such a tangled mess.
Thunder Rift (Volume #2, Issue #3. (Jan 15, 1994)
Melinir: Village of Bywater:
LIBRARY ATTEMPTS TO RECLAIM BOOK
A man walked into Bywater today, claiming to be from Melinir's library, seeking the reputed owner of The Big Book of Sappy, Drivelly Love Poems. He claims that the book is owned by the Library of Melinir, and he learned of the extremely over-due book's current locale thanks to the Library's subscription to The Adventurer's Journal.
Harfur Glumtoes, gnome scholar, said he would be happy to return the book, if it were still in his possession. Apparently, however, someone had, in turn, stolen it from him. He pointed the library's representative to a bard living at the edge of Bywater.
Thunder Rift (Volume #2, Issue #4. (Feb 9, 1994)
Rillford: RILLFORD SAVED BY TRIP THROUGH MUSHROOM RING
The tiny farming village of Rillford was saved recently when three brave villagers ventured forth in search of the miller. The miller had been sent, with the town's collected savings, to the great city of Melinir, where he was to buy seed, as the crop had recently been destroyed by a freak hailstorm.
When the miller was more than a week over due, the brave youths set forth. They stumbled across his ruined cart and the carcass of his ox, and followed his trail through the mysterious Dark Forest. They finally found their way through a strange ring of red mushrooms, discovering themselves in the realm of the Faerie!
It took some doing, but they were able to convince the miller, who was enjoying himself immensely at a Faerie feast, to return home. The Faerie Queen gave them a sack of "perfect grain" for their trouble, and this grain, not planted until midsummer, has grown extremely well, despite having survived a minor drought. Unfortunately, the villagers were unsuccessful in obtaining additional seed.
Mike Phillips: msphil@birds.wm.edu
-------------------------------------------------------------
Thunder Rift (Volume #2, Issue #5. (Mar 10, 1994)
Grakken Forest: BAND FREES CHILD'S PLAYMATE
A newly-formed band of adventurers, as yet unnamed, has continued to gain a reputation. A few months previous, they had saved the town of Rillford from certain starvation by a dangerous trip beyond a Faerie Ring to retrieve the town's miller, and, after discovering that life in Rillford was less interesting than life beyond the ring, they departed Rillford.
On the way to Melinir, they passed through the Grakken Forest, in which they stumbled across a little boy, said to be named Michael. The child was searching for his lost playmate, Drake, and, although reluctant to take the party to his house, implored them to find Drake for him. Inquiry turned up that Drake was a red flying lizard, and the party panicked, due to the reputation of red dragons.
However, by luck, they stumbled across a purple ball, said to be a favorite of Drake's, and by following a nearby trail, they tracked Drake back to a lair of some very nasty humanoids. They raided the lair, freeing Drake in the process, and eventually returned to Michael with Drake. They were rewarded, it is said, from Drake's meager hoard.
Drake, it turns out, was an immature faerie dragon.
Thunder Rift (Volume #2, Issue #7. (Jun 1, 1994)
Melinir: SIR REYNALD'S SON MISSING
The son of Sir Reynald, a minor landed knight whose keep guards mines to the north of Melinir, was recently reported as missing. It is probable that Baldwin, the lad in question, was kidnapped, but no further details are known. A number of adventurers have met with Sir Reynald in private, but the matters discussed have not been made public.
North of Melinir: BRAWL IN UTICA LEAVES 5 DEAD, 4 SEVERELY WOUNDED
Five strangers arrived in town, leading a mule laden with a large and heavy chest. Utica, with perhaps 40 or 50 total residents, is a rough town, having attracted what would often be termed the 'unpleasant elements', and five of these set upon the strangers. All five, led by town strongman Althling, were left dead, but the new arrivals walked away severely wounded, two having been rescued from unconciousness by the only unscathed member of the party. Magic was reportedly used in the tussle, and the remaining residents have been reluctant to associate with the strangers.
Thunder Rift (Volume #2, Issue #8. (Aug 1, 1994)
North of Melinir: LORD'S SON RETURNED SAFELY, ADVISOR HUNG!
A band of strangers, returning from the village of Utica, brought Sir Reynald's son safely home. The lord's chief advisor was blamed for replacing the ransom with worthless coins, and summarily sentenced to death for arranging the kidnapping and placing the knight's son in danger.
The strangers were well-paid by the grateful knight, and they headed south, apparently spending time in Melinir before continuing on their journey. Their current destination is unknown.
The Black Swamp (E. Drake River):
A band of adventurers, having recently rescued the son of Sir Reynald, a knight of some renown near Melinir, were seen heading east into the Black Swamp. They apparently were sidetracked in their journey by a strange old man, singing in his bathtub, accompanied by some strange mushrooms.
No further word of their adventures are yet known, but if the past is any guide, they shall be worth spreading!

Hope it helps & good luck on the project.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Yes, I just copied & pasted everything under each TR heading, so remove whatever isn't needed.

Noted an obvious mistake in the original: Volume #2, Issue #3. (Jan 15, 1994) For location: Melinir: Village of Bywater
Bywater is in Karameikos, not Thunder Rift. That should've read: Melinir: Village of Edgewater.

Return to “Thunder Rift”