Dragon Quest

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Dragon Quest

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:09 pm

This summary by Phoenixmcl got me thinking about Dragon Quest again. What can people tell me about this game? Were there more products created for it?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Belathauzer
Ogre

Re: Dragon Quest

Post by Belathauzer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:02 am

I believe that this was the only product of it's kind produced. It wasn't so much a separate line so much as a board game in the style of Heroquest, quite similar to the D&D Fantasy Adventure Board Game that came out a few years back - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6366. It's an even more basic rules & adventure set than the Entry/Challenger series of products which Thunder Rift was a part of.

Dragon Quest was explicitly set in Thunder Rift as the adventures take place in and around Torlynn. It can then be considered part of the Thunder Rift line, and by extension, part of the Entry/Challenger series of products. Check out this site for a pretty comprehensive D&D product listing - http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd.htm.
-- Long live Mystara!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Belathauzer wrote:Dragon Quest was explicitly set in Thunder Rift as the adventures take place in and around Torlynn. It can then be considered part of the Thunder Rift line, and by extension, part of the Entry/Challenger series of products. Check out this site for a pretty comprehensive D&D product listing - http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd.htm.
That link is dead, but The Wayback Machine has a copy of the Dragon Quest page:
TSR Archive wrote:Item Code: #1100
Title: Dragon Quest
Type: Accessory
Author: William W. Connors & David Wise
Published: 1992
Format: 32-page book w/cover, 24-page book w/cover, 4-page book, fold-out game board, 4 sheets cardstock fold-up figures (96 total), 6 plastic miniatures, 6 metal miniatures on blister card, 7 dice, 180 cards
game blurb wrote:The world of the DRAGON QUEST Game is full of evil dragons, mysterious dungeons, horrible monsters, fatal traps, and vvaluable treasure. You and up to five of your friends can role-play fierce warriors, magical wizards, even elves and dwarves. Step-by-step the danger and suspense increase as your party experience one adventure after another, especially when you make up new adventures as you go!

The DRAGON QUEST Game Contains:
  • 180 full-color game cards with magic, monsters, traps and treasure
  • Two game books: a 32-page rulebook and a 24-page adventure book
  • A complete set of seven adventure dice
  • Six plastic heroic figures
  • Brilliantly illustrated, folding game board
  • Dozens of full-color standup counters for heroes, monsters, and doors
Has anyone got this?

What sort of stuff is in the 24 page adventure book? Is any of it stuff that could be raided to create tabletop plots in the Thunder Rift region?

How about the 32 page rulebook? Does that mention anything new (like monster stats) that could be converted to game material?

How about the 4 page book that TSR Archive mentions (but isn't mentioned in the blurb)? What is that about?

Is the board an abstract thing or is it something raidable (like the layout of a dragon's lair or the floor of a castle or dungeon)?

Can the game cards be used to create a list of magic, monsters and treasure that can be imported into Thunder Rift?

Can the 108 fold up, plastic and metal figures be used in a tabletop Thunder Rift game? Do any of them match anything mentioned in another canon source?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Algus
Kobold

Post by Algus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:46 am

Hey,

I used to own this game (and probably still have it in pieces around my house somewhere). Here's what I remember about the game itself:

It was sort of a bridge between Dragon Strike and full on Dungeons & Dragons. Very HeroQuestish. The board was a sturdy cardboard one, more akin to the Dragon Strike boards and other traditional board games (as compared to the simple mats from the Black Box and Adventure Packs for Classic D&D from the 90s). The included tokens were of the same kind of cardboard fold-outs as the ones that came from the Black Box and Adventure Packs, same artwork and so forth.

Basically the board was a set of rooms that could be modified and reconnected based on how you laid out tokens, just like HeroQuest. As I recall there were premade characters and also a system for constructing your own characters, not as complex as D&D but definitely more involved than HeroQuest. IIRC there was a system for converting from Dragon Quest to full D&D as well.

There was a big block of cards that consisted of magic spells (priest and MU) and other such things, similar to Dragon Strike. Artwork on everything was a mix of stuff from the late 80s/early 90s, I remember all the covers from Icewind Dale Trilogy were reused for the rulebook and adventure book. You could probably borrow from it in the sense that it was really a stepping stone into a regular role-playing game though it was designed for people who were to intimidated by even the black box so its definitely for beginning beginners (if that makes sense lol)

The minis for the players were the same red plastic molded minis that came in Dungeon, later releases of the D&D Black Box (the rectangular versions) and probably some other stuff. It also came with some nice metal-cast versions of those same figures. I know I still have those around here somewhere as I never opened them up.

This guy http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/817 ... hero-quest probably gives a better write-up of what it was like than my ramblings.

JTrithen
Ogre

Post by JTrithen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 am

Big Mac wrote:Has anyone got this?

Yes, I have this game, too, with most of the pieces in the box. I bought a lot of these introductory games/sets back then. (Like DragonStrike and First Quest)
Big Mac wrote:What sort of stuff is in the 24 page adventure book? Is any of it stuff that could be raided to create tabletop plots in the Thunder Rift region?
The 24-page Adventure Book has a half-page fiction blurb at the beginning titled "The Spider Bites" (I'll have to see if I can get it online here, in the next few days, for fun).

The rest of the book has 3 adventures. I'll detail a some information about them below....

A Call To Glory:
Monsters = Bugbear, Gnoll, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold, and Orc (it looks like there are about a quantity of 2 of all these types of monsters in the adventure).
The adventure starts in Torlynn, with Burgomaster Gustovan.

The Eisenmond Blade:
Xan, Zombie, Skeleton, Giant Rat, Giant Spider, Orc, Smilodon, and Minotaur (and, yes, I don't know what a "Xan" is yet. I'd have to take some time to look through the 180 cards)
This adventure revolves around the "Eisenkern"
This is for "2nd level" of experience, according to the booklet (I'm sure this is close to the BECMI levels).

Jaws of Flame:
There is a dragon that attacks Torlynn at the beginning of this adventure, named "Estorax Rex." I am not sure if this is the "Wyvern" monster, or not.
Lizard Man, Giant Viper, Wyvern, Giant Lizard, and Troll
This if for "3rd level" of experience, it says.

Each of the 3 adventures use the same dungeon layout as the fold-out board, with different information for the different adventure locations, of course. The 3rd adventure even has a lava river through the middle of the dungeon (in the book, but you would use your imagination on the actual fold-out board :) ).

There is a page about "Creating Your Own Dungeons" at the end of this book, and a the same dungeon layout showing the fold-out board with blank rooms on the inside cover.
How about the 32 page rulebook? Does that mention anything new (like monster stats) that could be converted to game material?
This rulebook has a full-page fictional account at the begining titled "The Adventure Begins!"

This rulebook outlines basic rules for the game (simplistic renditions of BECMI rules, like Combat, Running Away, Damage, how to use the dice, and the 7 classes; page 28 has a half-page on "Moving Up in the World," i.e., a very basic break-down of "experience" and "levels"). There is full-page color art on almost every other page, so the booklet really does have some pretty high-quality art in it, making it look very nice, IMO. But, only about 12 pages or so have rules.

The inside covers have summaries of "turn sequence" and tables (like WEAPONS CHART and MONSTER REACTION TABLE).

JTrithen
Ogre

Post by JTrithen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:30 am

"Dragon Quest" set information, PART II
Big Mac wrote:How about the 4 page book that TSR Archive mentions (but isn't mentioned in the blurb)? What is that about?
This is an 11" x 17" paper folded in half, making 4 pages. It is titled "The Adventure Continues." It suggests the Thunder Rift series adventures, like The Quest for the Silver Sword and Goblin's Lair, etc. It has information about the D&D game, with an overview of D&D rules (monster listings, Alignment, etc.) and how they are the same/different, and can be incorporated, used (or ignored) to be able to play D&D Adventures with the "Dragon Quest" rules. The back page has the same dungeon layout as the foldout board, with blank rooms, presumably to be able to fill in your own adventure (this might be referred to elsewhere in the booklet or books -- I'm not sure).
Big Mac wrote:Is the board an abstract thing or is it something raidable (like the layout of a dragon's lair or the floor of a castle or dungeon)?
The board is actually a foldout board with "blank" rooms (about 10, I think). These rooms are different colors, and there is a 1" grid. There is no artwork; it's simple and elegant, and only a "DragonQuest" banner/title across the top.
Big Mac wrote:Can the game cards be used to create a list of magic, monsters and treasure that can be imported into Thunder Rift?
Yes, probably about 20 or so unique items (mostly magic items) that could be incorporated in to the "Thunder Rift" minutia. Some examples:

(yellow "treasure" card) "Kur's Drink"
Description -- "This mysterious potion was created by a strange order of holy men who live their live locked away in a forgotten monastery. The potion comes in a silver flask that holds enough liquid for three drinks. Each drink will restore 2d4 hit points to a wounded hero> Any type of hero may use Kur's Drink."

[^ This item above is actually used in the first "A Call To Glory" adventure.]

(yellow "treasure" card) "Kumakawa"
Description -- "This is a suit of leather armor fashioned from the hide of an owl bear. It has been enchanted with wax from mystical candles. Unlike normal leather armor, which give its wearer an Armor Class of 7, the Kumadawa provides an Armor Class of 6. Of course, a shield, a high Dexterity Score, or magic and improve this even more."

(yellow "treasure" card) "Motopua"
Description -- "This black battle axe was forged from metal mined from the heart of an ancient volcano. Its name means "Fire Steel" in a forgotten tongue. Anyone who uses Motopua in combat can add a +1 bonus to his attack and damage rolls. This is a large weapon and may only be used by fighters."

Eagle Bow
Shield Ring
Crossbow of Klee
Dragonscale (a shield made from a large dragon's scale)
Storm Hammer

(^ there about 10 more of these, too)

There was a magic weapon (sword, I think mentioned in one of the adventures, but it is not in the treasure cards. Additionally, the "Eisenmond" is also not in the treasure cards (so there may be information about it in the adventure booklet).

Information about the cards is below....

Turquoise (spells; some interesting ones: "Cure Lycanthropy," "Resist Lightning," "Shocking Grasp," "Cure," "Wall of Fog," and "Revive" [<-- which is "Resurrection"])
Green (a few of these; some kind of magically-related random event cards, like for "ancient shrine" or a magic fountain)
Brown (equipment, including weapons/armor; pictures on front, brief descriptions on back)
Blue (monsters)
Black (10 of these; trap cards, e.g., 'Greek fire,' deadfall, etc.)

and, some blank cards (for DM's to make up their own).

Some interesting monsters: wood golem, ice golem, and death hound (which from the description, is pretty similar to a hellhound). I did not see the "Xan" monster (that I mentioned above) when I went through these, just now.
Big Mac wrote:Can the 108 fold up, plastic and metal figures be used in a tabletop Thunder Rift game? Do any of them match anything mentioned in another canon source?
Hmmm... not sure about specific on the foldups. As stated earlier by Algus, there are the 6 red plastic figures (and I think the metal ones were the same figures, just cast from metal).

All my foldups I got from different adventures and sets are mixed together, so I couldn't tell you exactly which ones came with this set.

I hope that's a good start to let you know what's in there. Nothing huge, but I think the "treasure" items are the most interesting. The adventures are pretty simple, but I think they could add a little flavor and some more intrigue/plots to the Rift.

Return to “Thunder Rift”