The Quadrial and Torlynn

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Kylun
Orc

The Quadrial and Torlynn

Post by Kylun » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:57 pm

The campaign my friends and I are going to be kicking off soon is going to take place in Thunder Rift. I bought the campaign setting new back in '92 when it came out, and this is the first time I'm getting the opportunity to use it! So yeah, I'm pretty jazzed about that. And while I know there were other modules out that have filled in some of the blanks of TF, the only one I ever bought was Quest for the Silver Sword -- and I got that before Thunder Rift came out.

I'm using QftSS as my jump off point for starting the campaign. We're playing 3E rules, so I've had to modify some of the setting, NPCs, and what not. One of the PCs is from Torlynn and I'm using him to bring the rest of the party together to head to Barrik's Keep. Now, here's a question: was there ever a reason given as to why the Quadrial didn't take a hand in assisting Torlynn? I realize the real issue is that the Quadrial didn't exist when QftSS was published, so it wasn't a consideration at the time. But with the campaign starting in a fully fledged out Thunder Rift, and most of the PCs coming from Melinir to help Torlynn, I don't doubt the question is going to be raised. Anyone ever come up with a decent reason?
"All of my accomplishments have been by my own hand, my failures my own undoing. No one, not man nor god has dictated my fate."

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: The Quadrial and Torlynn

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 am

Karyn the Halfling Thief is busy w/ her business in Melinir. Valum the Fighter is busy being Mayor Valum of Melinir & the Dwarf & Elf representives aren't named; but, mostly likely they're also busy w/ "Name" level tasks.

Grim
Orc

Re: The Quadrial and Torlynn

Post by Grim » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 pm

IMO- The Quad was created TO assist the Rift with troubles, and maintain peace among the four civilized races. Valum is busy being mayor, so we can safely say he's retired from adventuring, so should be retired from the Quadrial. Same goes for Karyn. Those spots should be open for new elections. As for the other two, they are never talked about(to my knowledge) so, labelled M.I.A. they should be replaced as well. When a hero don't come home, that means a hero ain't ever comin' home....Anyways, my take on the matter would be all positions are available, and there are many many "competitors" a great idea for many adventures in itself. I know you we're looking for a more "canon" explanation, but I really don't think there is one. They were probably left out intentionally, because they would just go around and steal all the jobs!! PC's in the tavern saying.."Don't worry, the Quadrial will kill it!"
I am also running a 3.5 (modified w/major rule tweaks) with the thunder rift/knacker-knob/the vale setting I would be happy to share ideas, if you are interested. I'm on the hunt for anything on "the Vale" a "sub-setting" if you will that somebody geniously added to thunder rift. I found so far, alot has to be created, and most of the cannon stuff is just guidelines. If you are unfamiliar with the Vale, it is the setting from "The Adventure Begins Now" box set. (the only one I don't have :( ) Also about 4 seperate
early-level adventures called "fast-play". If there is any info or ideas you need, lemme know.
CHEERS!
GRIM

Return to “Thunder Rift”