Is The Vale part of Thunder Rift or Forgotten Realms?

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Post Reply
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Is The Vale part of Thunder Rift or Forgotten Realms?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:35 am

Apothet and Grim brought this up in the TR map project topic:
Grim wrote:
apotheot wrote:
And lastly, the Vale needs a spot on the big map.
I'm confused. Was the Vale canonically set in TR? I had heard somewhere years ago that it was in FR.
-Apotheot
No, it is not canonically set in TR, but fits really well. That's the first I've heard about it being in FR? Any truth to this would be great, because my campaign is going to end up in forgotten realms as soon as all my players are professionals
So, does anyone know about this Forgotten Realms thing? Did The Vale get retconned into FR?

Is there canon tying it to Thunder Rift?

Has anyone ever asked Colin McComb about where he would put The Vale?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:02 am
Gender: male
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Is The Vale part of Thunder Rift or Forgotten Realms?

Post by Gravesguardian » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Thunder Rift is BECMI while The Vale was, I believe, 3rd edtion so I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say: The Vale is FR; but, people dumped it into TR.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18301
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Is The Vale part of Thunder Rift or Forgotten Realms?

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Simple answer: Neither.

The Vale is a mini-setting featured in the 1999 D&D Starter Set Boxed Set and accompanying modules. Two modules were published, labelled D&D Fast-Play Game, to be used with this Boxed Set. The system used is nothing like 3rd Edtion.

I would compare it to a cross between BECMI and AD&D. It uses descending Armor Class (lower is better) and saving throws are rolled above your score, rather than against a DC set by cicumstances. Most likely, the designers used AD&D as a starting point, but wanted to simplify things to make the game feel more like BECMI in its ease to play for beginners. I believe these are the last products to carry a logo saying "Dungeons & Dragons" (without the "Advanced") before the release of 3rd edition.

As far as I have been able to find out there are no references to a greater setting beyond the tiny valley containing a handful of adventuring locations and the town named Haven.

There is another famous town called Haven in Mystara (from B3), but I guess this is such a generic name that it could be a coincindence.

For one of my Thunder Rift maps, I had the idea of including those locations from The Vale Setting, since they are so few anyway, and because I was looking for more ideas to expand on Thunder Rift. Looking back, I have mixed feelings about that. I still prefer using The Vale as part of Mystara, but I might place it somewhere else, perhaps in Norwold or in Karameikos around Haven from B3.


-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Grim
Orc
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 pm
Gender: male
Location: Canada

Re: Is The Vale part of Thunder Rift or Forgotten Realms?

Post by Grim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:17 pm

My only two cents is the Vale isn't tiny, its 15X bigger than Thunder Rift. (1inch=15 miles)

WOOO HOOOO Leveled up I am now GRIM THE ORC. At least I have a little better challenge rating!
GRIM

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23190
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Is The Vale part of Thunder Rift or Forgotten Realms?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:37 am

Havard wrote:Simple answer: Neither.
Soooooo...

...we need a bespoke The Vale forum at The Piazza then? :twisted:
Havard wrote:The Vale is a mini-setting featured in the 1999 D&D Starter Set Boxed Set and accompanying modules. Two modules were published, labelled D&D Fast-Play Game, to be used with this Boxed Set. The system used is nothing like 3rd Edtion.

I would compare it to a cross between BECMI and AD&D. It uses descending Armor Class (lower is better) and saving throws are rolled above your score, rather than against a DC set by cicumstances. Most likely, the designers used AD&D as a starting point, but wanted to simplify things to make the game feel more like BECMI in its ease to play for beginners. I believe these are the last products to carry a logo saying "Dungeons & Dragons" (without the "Advanced") before the release of 3rd edition.

As far as I have been able to find out there are no references to a greater setting beyond the tiny valley containing a handful of adventuring locations and the town named Haven.
I do wonder at these "starter sets" that have had both bespoke rules and bespoke campaign settings. I'm not sure what they were supposed to achieve with any customers they pulled in, as they don't seem to be stepping stones that lead towards more established product lines.

I'd be interested to find out more about how this was designed. Was it someone's personal campaign world? Was it built for the product? Did the designer actually locate it somewhere (like Mystara) but exclude that from the final product?
Havard wrote:There is another famous town called Haven in Mystara (from B3), but I guess this is such a generic name that it could be a coincindence.
I saw the same thing with the planet Falx and the earlier Falx that Frank Mentzer created.

But, it might be interesting to look at Mystara's Haven to see if it could fit.
Havard wrote:For one of my Thunder Rift maps, I had the idea of including those locations from The Vale Setting, since they are so few anyway, and because I was looking for more ideas to expand on Thunder Rift. Looking back, I have mixed feelings about that. I still prefer using The Vale as part of Mystara, but I might place it somewhere else, perhaps in Norwold or in Karameikos around Haven from B3.
I guess that, if it fits with the other Haven, it might make more sense to merge the two.

Where did you think was a good place to stick this stuff in Thunder Rift? Did you have a big empty area?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Grim
Orc
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 pm
Gender: male
Location: Canada

Re: Is The Vale part of Thunder Rift or Forgotten Realms?

Post by Grim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:23 am

Where did you think was a good place to stick this stuff in Thunder Rift? Did you have a big empty area?
See map project/Havard's valley map questions/and Grim's the vale and knacker knob merging
GRIM

Post Reply

Return to “Thunder Rift”