The Monolith of Thunder Rift

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

The Monolith of Thunder Rift

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Ideas I'm tossing out for discussion & expansion:

#1. The Monolith is the "sleeping" form of a nameless Old One: sleeping simply refers to a state of being in which an Old One reduces it's power level to that of a mere artifact in order to physically manifest on the Prime w/o detection.
#2. In "sleeping" form the Old One designates which powers will manifest while it observes a fixed target.
a) Invibility: to conceal Thunder Rift
b) Flight: rather than fix Thunder Rift to an easily accessable location on the ground, Flight enables the Old One to guide Thunder Rift all over the surface of Mystara. (The Old One subconciously guides the flight routes to avoid areas of conflict.)
c) Teleport w/o Error: In order for inhabitants to interact w/ other civilizations on the ground, a few routes that seem to exit the Rift actually Teleport(unseen Portal/Gate) people to w/in a days travel of the nearest inhabitated city that the Rift is flying over at the time. When they try to return to the Rift, the Old One opens an unseen Portal/Gate at roughly the same spot where they first emerged.
#3. The Old One created Thunder Rift w/o any inhabitants w/ the sole intent of allowing people to "find" the Rift & inhabit it. The Old One's interest is in watching how such cultures/civilization will evolve.
#4. The Old One will not interfere in the development of the Rift UNLESS the Rift's continued existance is threatened & even then it'll only use proxies. (Should other Immortals try to interfere in it's experiment, the Old One will "slap them down" in such a way that it's existance isn't revealed.)
#5. Because the Old One no longer needs followers, it's intrigued to see how the "lesser" Immortals handle their followers in these circumstances.

Will add more as I work them out, or as others suggest them. (If possible when offering suggestions, use the format above so they can be more easily placed.) The order above is subject to change as Order of Importance gets better spelled out.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: The Monolith of Thunder Rift

Post by Tim Baker » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 pm

I'm such a Mystara n00b that I don't even know what an Old One is. However, I remember the Thunder Rifts adventures that came in the board game sized boxes, and some of the details of the setting itself. I really like these explanations for some of the mysteries of the setting!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm

An Old One is an Immortal from before the current Immortals, or better put: they are prior Immortals who mysteriously vanished before the current Immortals first appeared. The RARE appearance of an Old One proves that they are, power-wise, far stronger than current Immortals. As some have put it: The power difference between Old Ones and Immortals is akin to the difference between Immortals and mortals.
Since there is no classification w/ Old Ones, an appearance could be from an Old One "just prior" to the current Immortals, or it could be an Old One who was already an Old One when Mystara was first born. (I believe Mystara is several billion years old.)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue May 15, 2018 10:52 pm

Here's a monolith-related adventure.

You could also use one of Geoff Gander's Outer Beings, or one of their servitors.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue May 15, 2018 11:09 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:52 pm
Here's a monolith-related adventure.

You could also use one of Geoff Gander's Outer Beings, or one of their servitors.
That adventure seemed a great fit for Karameikos; but, it hasn't sparked any ideas for me. :( I suggested the Monolith as an Old One because they would be most inclined to stick w/ a strong code of non-interference; whereas Outer Beings & their servitors would focus more on finding ways to bring the Outer Beings into this world. (And the Flight + Invisibility helps solve the infernal question of where to place TR on Mystara :cool: )

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed May 16, 2018 1:54 am

Gravesguardian wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm
An Old One is an Immortal from before the current Immortals, or better put: they are prior Immortals who mysteriously vanished before the current Immortals first appeared. The RARE appearance of an Old One proves that they are, power-wise, far stronger than current Immortals. As some have put it: The power difference between Old Ones and Immortals is akin to the difference between Immortals and mortals.
Since there is no classification w/ Old Ones, an appearance could be from an Old One "just prior" to the current Immortals, or it could be an Old One who was already an Old One when Mystara was first born. (I believe Mystara is several billion years old.)
That definitely helps. Thank you for taking the time to explain that!

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Wed May 16, 2018 2:02 am

You're welcome.

MPA
Ogre

Post by MPA » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 pm
I'm such a Mystara n00b that I don't even know what an Old One is. However, I remember the Thunder Rifts adventures that came in the board game sized boxes, and some of the details of the setting itself. I really like these explanations for some of the mysteries of the setting!
Pretty like someone already said. The Old Ones are rumored to be beings who existed prior to the currently exist. No one knows the extent of their powers, but there have been two examples of their powers. It is rumoured that around 4000bc a starship from another dimension crash landed on Mystara. Damaged beyond repair, members of the crew tore pieces of the critical parts from the ship and sold them to citizens of nearby kingdom for riches. This eventually resulted in critically damaging the power core causing it to implode. The implosion melded with the magical properties of, turning the core into scientific artifact or sorts. An Old One was intrigued by the phenomenon (anomaly?) and determined that it had the power to make mortals immortals. After some minor tinkering, he restricted the artifact to only give mortals immortality, if they could figure out it's secrets.

The second time, was when one of the Immortals, Rad, whom the artifact (now called Nucleus of Spheres) made immortal, was confronted by the jealous Hierarchy of his sphere. It was a bedazzling display of awesome power from the Hierarch, and equally impressive counter strike from the lower ranked who's own power was augmented by his proximity to the NOS.

It was at the time another Old One (or the same?) appeared and stopped all magic in the room, causing Rad to bow in awe and the Hierarch's godly aura to dampen. Before he left with Rad, he gave both of them a good tongue lashing.

So yeah, they are extremely powerful. The fact they would have to show up, means that still don't fully trust the Immortals as custodians of the Multiverse. :(
-----
My PC is the Celestial level Immortal Krull, "Patron to all Chaotic humans, especially warriors".
I use the rules based on the RC and WoTI.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Are these stories told in sourcebooks? Adventures? Novels?

MPA
Ogre

Post by MPA » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:50 pm
Are these stories told in sourcebooks? Adventures? Novels?
My story is from Book 2 of the Wrath of the Immortals, called the "Immortals' Fury".
-----
My PC is the Celestial level Immortal Krull, "Patron to all Chaotic humans, especially warriors".
I use the rules based on the RC and WoTI.

Return to “Thunder Rift”