Otterkin of Thunder Rift

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Otterkin of Thunder Rift

Post by Havard » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:31 pm

In this thread, Sturm brought up the Otterkin Race.
Gravesguardian wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 pm
Havard wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 pm
Sturm wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:00 pm
This is also a valid idea, but I re-read recently the set for my incoming Threshold magazine article and there is also a Bailiff agent named Sascia :) it is clearly a wink to Lady Sascia of Luln, so really the boxed set could be placed as it is in the region with almost no effort for the DM..
Any other placement could work too. There is also a Otterkin, i.e. a creature like the Jorri of the Savage Coast. Still any other placement beside Luln and vicinity will require some work if the DM intend to connect the region to his campaign.
Ahh! THAT'S where I saw the Otterkin character! I thought I had seen it in one of the Thunder Rift books. I really wanted Otterkin to be a unique (not counting the Jorri) race for Thunder Rift. Dragon's Den isn't really Thunder Rift though...

-Havard
We all know Dragon's Den is Thunder Rift, they just put in the wrong map. :D
I found the page reference. It is mentioned in the adventure Wild Dragon's Den p 11 (in the Dragonis Den Boxed Set). If you search through old Thunder Rift discussions, you might find a post or two where I insisted that I had found Otterkin in a Thunder Rift book, but then I forgot where I found it. I really like that these modules added new races.

Otterkin are 1HD monsters with a bite attack that does 1d4 points of damage. They are specifically said to have webbed fingers and thumbs. Otterkin live in communities that have been attacked by Lizardmen. Two named Otterkin are featured in the module; Speckled-White-Chin and Short-Whiskers.

I wonder if these were indeed the inspiration for the Jorri of the Savage Coast? The Jorri's description make them seem more feral and they have claw attacks, even though their illustration does show them having human-like hands.

I'm thinking we should develop these as a PC race. In BECMI terms they could probably have Shamans and maybe Druids too.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Otterkin of Thunder Rift

Post by Gravesguardian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Don't forget that you can find an Otter-kin made magical staff in that adventure too. (6' Staff of Water Breathing, I think, that functions just like the Wand of the same name.) Will dig thru my boxset to double-check.

Page 8 of Wild Dragon Den: "a strangely carved wand of ironwood, 6' long and covered with unfamiliar primitive symbols. (The item is a wand of water breathing created by creatures called otterkin; the wand permits its bearer to breath in water like a fish.)"
That should indicate Clerical or Magic-Using members of their species.

Also, it lists Speckled-White-Chin as being as intelligent as a 10-year-old human that can speak broken common.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Gravesguardian wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 pm
Don't forget that you can find an Otter-kin made magical staff in that adventure too. (6' Staff of Water Breathing, I think, that functions just like the Wand of the same name.) Will dig thru my boxset to double-check.

Page 8 of Wild Dragon Den: "a strangely carved wand of ironwood, 6' long and covered with unfamiliar primitive symbols. (The item is a wand of water breathing created by creatures called otterkin; the wand permits its bearer to breath in water like a fish.)"
That should indicate Clerical or Magic-Using members of their species.

Also, it lists Speckled-White-Chin as being as intelligent as a 10-year-old human that can speak broken common.
Nice! I missed those details!

I wonder if the Ironwood wand suggests Otterkin Druids with the Ironwood spell from Robrenn?

Now I need to get these Otterkin Minis from Darksword!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:33 am

Havard wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:31 pm
I'm thinking we should develop these as a PC race. In BECMI terms they could probably have Shamans and maybe Druids too.
Would you create two classes, then? One for Otterkin Shaman and one for Otterkin Druid? Did races often get this type of treatment in BECMI sourcebooks?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:26 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:33 am
Havard wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:31 pm
Would you create two classes, then? One for Otterkin Shaman and one for Otterkin Druid? Did races often get this type of treatment in BECMI sourcebooks?
The way I would handle this is the same way Monster Spellcaster PCs are treated in the Creature Crucible (PC) series. Basically, they get an added XP requirement for each level and gain spells. So I only need to determine which monster spellcaster classes are available to Otterkin (Wokan, Shaman, Druid) and what the max spellcaster level would be for each subclass.

I'm thinking Shaman and Druid are most appropriate. I am less sure about Wokan (Magic-Users).

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Thunder Rift”