Mage Island Context

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard

Harrowford
Kobold

Mage Island Context

Post by Harrowford » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Hello, I have been a TR fan ever since the early 90s when it came out, and an off and on lurker here on Piazza.

I am currently in the process of fleshing out some things to get a 5E campaign running. One thing I do not see anywhere is Mage Island and I was wondering what some of you have done with it in regards to the Sword vs Wand war, Wizardspire and the assassinations by the Black Knight?

The Island isn't mentioned anywhere (that I can see) except blurb #27 for Melinir and that the Island is where the Quadrial was formed (TR pg 12). But being that it is the "original home of most of Thunder Rift's wizards." PC's like to know something about it and they want to go back, especially as it has a magic library and other wizards who can help with magical problems/item identification/crafting/brewing/etc.

Using Havard's timeline as a base of events, (Thank you for all of your time in making that too by the way) the Sword vs Wand conflict was only 30 years ago which in the grand scheme of the longer lived races wasn't all that long ago and there may still be a good handful of people who would remember the times before the Conflict, which I can see raising some trust and loyalty issues with the wizards once they started casting spells to create the Gloomfens. But it also seems that Melinir was at least and inkling of a trading port close to 1000 years ago which raises the second thing I am working on: Geoffrey the 7th level Human Wizard who "as far as anyone can recall, has owned the Island ever since Melinir was founded. He seems a genial enough fellow, but few approach him because of his mysterious reputation."

Works in progress: I am thinking that Geoffrey and the Mad Mage had some differing opinions in the past which may be part of the reason for the power struggle to begin with. Geoffrey, knowing that the Mad Mage is going to cause issues, goes to the rulers of the cities lets them know that he and his school on Mage Island do not support the Mad Mage and that he wants to help if he can. He is able to with some magic and information which the Black Knight then takes advantage of. Whether or not Geoffrey knows what the Black Knight has on his mind, who knows. . . But his school is spared and he now takes more precautions with his students perhaps.

The age of Geoffrey is something different, when running the campaign in BECMI, I wrote it off as just powerful magics that keep him alive and youngish. But looking at 5E I am thinking of making him a Silver Dragon and the island which has an ancient citadel on it, is his lair along with a school. Maybe this has always been his home and the multitude of chromatic dragons are flooding in and he has been forced to do something but he can't all by himself, with Scorch, Hakra (Wild Dragon Den), Nefastu (Wyrmhaven), Anandak (League of the Red Serpent) plus Kamro the white from Zanzer's Dungeon, he is greatly out matched and uses the school as a way to train help in combating the evil dragons.

These are just the ideas I have so far but I am really curious if anyone else has addressed Mage Island at all and what you have done?

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Mage Island Context

Post by Gravesguardian » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:35 am

You forgot Estorax Rex (Red Dragon from the Dragon Quest box set, Jaws of Flame adventure) that was sealed away by Dwarves with the Eisenkern nugget of Eisenmond Ore before it was stolen and turned into a two-handed sword vs. Dragons in the adventure: The Eisenmond Blade.

An answer for Geoffrey's age could also be that the name is taken by each new mage that steps into the shoes of the "Headmaster" of Mage Island. (I've yet to come up with any ideas for Mage Island, so I'm not gonna be able to toss any ideas.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 am

Someone, called Chris Seabrook has a Mage Island page on Vaults of Pandius:
Chris Seabrook at Vaults of Pandius wrote:I was going to have an abandoned wizard's school on Mage Island, with only the former head wizard left behind. I would have had him be a crazy and lonely, but mostly kind, old man living in the lighthouse, researching the island's magical secrets. The school was inspired by the quad at my former university that I was attending when I made this. The island would have been rocky and swampy, chilly, foggy, permanently overcast, with the weather varying between light drizzle and thunderstorms. There was going to be the remains of small village hedgewizard craftspeople that traded with the school. This is where the people first fled to during the wizard vs. warrior war. It would have been very moldy ruins if my players had decided to visit the island.
Chris has a map on the page with 16 different locations marked out. The map is a bit blurry, but if anyone is making a more detail of of Mage Island, I think they could easily use Chris's map to get all the locations right.

I'm not sure if this is canon or fanon, but maybe Chris has some more information somewhere else.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 pm

As mentioned, Mage Island is probably still the base of the Quadrial.

I always imagined it was somehow connected to Pickman the Wizard (see Melinir section).

-havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Harrowford
Kobold

Post by Harrowford » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Gravesguardian wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:35 am
You forgot Estorax Rex (Red Dragon from the Dragon Quest box set, Jaws of Flame adventure) that was sealed away by Dwarves with the Eisenkern nugget of Eisenmond Ore before it was stolen and turned into a two-handed sword vs. Dragons in the adventure: The Eisenmond Blade.
I did! I totally forgot Estorax Rex. I remember this but I currently don't have Dragon Quest, so he fell through the cracks. That makes 3 Reds, 1 Black, 1 Green and 1 White all within the confines of the Rift, that is a lot of Wyrm running around.
Havard wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 pm
As mentioned, Mage Island is probably still the base of the Quadrial.

I always imagined it was somehow connected to Pickman the Wizard (see Melinir section).

-havard

The Quadrial has a base in Melinir, so even if not a base on Mage Island (Maybe a secret base? one created by Geoffrey?), I do like the idea of having some sort of sacred tie and tradition with the Island. A place of indoctrination into the group? Records of members and deeds? Maybe even a special tomb for the Quadrial members and the mages of the island are sworn to guard the tomb and contents?

I always picture Pickman as an ancient wizard who turned from magic (2nd level) in favor of lore and knowledge, and I do agree he should have a connection to the island. . .

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 pm

The original council was held on Mage Island and every race then sent their champions to be a member of the Quadrial; but, the humans and hin sent 2 each. When the four survivors returned, the Quadrial was set at 1 human, 1 elf, 1 dwarf and 1 hin; since they were the 4 surviviors. (1 hin and the human thief died.)
You might want to consider the base inside of Melinir as the training center and "public front" for the Quadrial. ("Got a problem and need help? There's the building to go and make a report at. Hey, even if the Quadrial don't personally deal with it; many a young and up-n-coming adventurer goes there for possible missions.") CRAP!!!!! Did I just invent an Adventurers Guild in Melinir being supervised by the Quadrial? Although that would help explain how the Quadrial and leaders of the various towns keep tabs on who may, or may not, be Quadrial material.

As for Pickman, you don't really think that's his name, right? Geoffrey to his apprentice "Go into town, pick men and send them on a mission to restock our supply of Orc Dingleberries." Thus did Geoffrey's apprentice become known as Pickman, or picker of men. Yes, yes I really do enjoy messing with everyone's head on what we all "think" we know.

Return to “Thunder Rift”