Havard's Thunder Rift Valley Map Questions

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Giorgio
Ogre

Havard's Thunder Rift Valley Map Questions

Post by Giorgio » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:29 am

http://pandius.com/thrmap.html
This version assumes the recent Karameikos location for the map.

Locations marked in red are from the D&D Fast-Play Game and related modules.

Other new locations:
* Edgewater: From Dungeon #41 (Kudos Phoenixmcl!)
* Stonefast: From the Zanzer Tam's Dungeon adventure.
Havard,

1-What is the scale on your map? 1 inch = ? miles

2-What are the source material for these red lines on your map?

-Mount Dometop
-Moltenclaws Lair
-The Ruined Tower
-Valehaven
-Tomb of Alaxus
-Old Temple
-Wyvern Falls
-Wyvern's Lair

3- Which Dungeon issue is Stonefast located, and is it available online?

4- How many miles are between Specularum and Milinir by river in your GAZ 1 map?
(I located TR on the Northen Easternmost mountain hex; right in front of a Ylaruam hill hex, one more hex north and it reachs a road hex)

5- Are any of the white lines on the map, not found in the core TR 32 page module?

Thanks,

George

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Havard's Thunder Rift Valley Map Questions

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Havard,

1-What is the scale on your map? 1 inch = ? miles
The entire map is 21x32 miles.
2-What are the source material for these red lines on your map?

-Mount Dometop
-Moltenclaws Lair
-The Ruined Tower
-Valehaven
-Tomb of Alaxus
-Old Temple
-Wyvern Falls
-Wyvern's Lair
These are all from the D&D Fast Play product line:

* 11331 Wrath of the Minotaur
* 11373 Eye of the Wyvern
* Crypt of the Smoke Dragon
* Fast-Play Game

They are marked in red, because they are not officially placed within Thunder Rift, but in another micro-setting called the Vale. I included them into Thunder Rift because the Vale was never developed much beyond those few products which very few people own anyway.
3- Which Dungeon issue is Stonefast located, and is it available online?
Stonefast is from the "D&D Classic Game" boxed set published sometime in the 1990s. It is a follow-up to Zanzer's Dungeon, but very little information is given except for a dungeon map and the fact that it was build by dwarves. As it is connected to Zanzer's Dungeon, I figured it would have to be close to Kleine.
4- How many miles are between Specularum and Milinir by river in your GAZ 1 map?
(I located TR on the Northen Easternmost mountain hex; right in front of a Ylaruam hill hex, one more hex north and it reachs a road hex)
About 240 miles maybe? I havent been too specific about it, but I placed it up there in the upper northeastern corner of the Karameikos map.
5- Are any of the white lines on the map, not found in the core TR 32 page module?
Yes. Edgewater from Duingeon #41 is not there, and also some of the locations from the various Thunder Rift modules may have been mentioned or not but were not placed on the official map:

Barrik's Keep
Artasharai
Silvercrest
Harpy's Nest (Not a separate module)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:31 pm

That I know, it says it on the top right corner of the map. My question is, if I put a ruler on the map and measure 1 inch, how many miles are we talking about?

Thank you for pointing out the sources for the red lines on the map, very useful to know. :)

George

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Giorgio wrote:
That I know, it says it on the top right corner of the map. My question is, if I put a ruler on the map and measure 1 inch, how many miles are we talking about?
Uhm...wouldnt that depend on the settings of your printer? :oops:
Thank you for pointing out the sources for the red lines on the map, very useful to know. :)
No problem :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

McDeath
Hobgoblin

Post by McDeath » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:35 am

Were these put into pdf format?

* Fast-Play Game

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 am

Not sure, though I have seen some pdfs floating about of them....

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Grim
Orc

Post by Grim » Wed May 31, 2017 1:20 am

-Mount Dometop
-Moltenclaws Lair
-Old Temple
Hello, Havard, I was wondering if you could tell me what source specifically these came from? Is it the Adventure Begins Now book? Crypt of Smoke Dragon, I believe, doesn't specify where you are exactly, and that just leaves the Adventure Begins book. That one is kinda hard to get, no? I think online, someone was asking, like three zeroes for it!
I guess more than anything, I just want to know a little more about "Haven," even for copyright rules, fanmade ideas would be fine, just something to go off. I bet the real information is in the Adventure Begins book, but I'm at a loss.
Hope this message finds you with a belly full of mead!

-Grimshadow
GRIM

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed May 31, 2017 9:38 pm

Grim wrote:-Mount Dometop
-Moltenclaws Lair
-Old Temple
Hello, Havard, I was wondering if you could tell me what source specifically these came from? Is it the Adventure Begins Now book? Crypt of Smoke Dragon, I believe, doesn't specify where you are exactly, and that just leaves the Adventure Begins book. That one is kinda hard to get, no? I think online, someone was asking, like three zeroes for it!
I guess more than anything, I just want to know a little more about "Haven," even for copyright rules, fanmade ideas would be fine, just something to go off. I bet the real information is in the Adventure Begins book, but I'm at a loss.
Hope this message finds you with a belly full of mead!

-Grimshadow
Hello Grimshadow! These locations (marked red on the map) were from the following sources:
* Fast-Play Game

These are not officially placed in Thunder Rift, but rather from another mini setting called The Vale. I have a fold out map of haven printed om thick paper. "The Adveture Begins" boxed set came with a flimsy DM's screen that features a map of Haven and a smaller map of the Vale as well as rules summaries. The booklet details some of the locations in the town of Haven as well as "UnderTown", the dungeon below the town.

The Old Temple and Moltenclaws lair is also detailed in the booklet from the boxed set. Dometop also appears on the map.

Now that I finally dug out my boxed set, I can answer more questions if you have them! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Grim
Orc

Post by Grim » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Thank you, Havard, You must roll your eyes every time somebody asks about free pdf's, but do you know of any "fan made" havens like the ones I saw for Milnir and Torlynn. (actual maps with stuff added) I just wanted my Haven to be accurate as far as the Vale storyline goes. Or if you could somehow shoot me a quick description(POP. How many buildings, that sort of thing) I have also been searching for a Who's Who in the vale, and also "Knacker-Knob", is there anything like that in the vault i'm missing? Also is there any other adventures besides D. Den set in Knacker Knob? I made "Knacker-Knob" the region containing Milinir, Torlunn, and Edgewater, named from the Hinfolk that lived in the huts back in the day. When I saw the map of TR with the Vale AND Knacker-Knob, it seemed like that was what the creator was intending.
Thank you for answering so quickly! Grim
GRIM

Grim
Orc

Post by Grim » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Oh ya, one question I forgot...Which of the "red vale markers" is from "Crypt of Smoke Dragon" I have that one and I don't remember there being a specific crypt or tomb.
GRIM

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Grim wrote:Thank you, Havard, You must roll your eyes every time somebody asks about free pdf's, but do you know of any "fan made" havens like the ones I saw for Milnir and Torlynn. (actual maps with stuff added) I just wanted my Haven to be accurate as far as the Vale storyline goes. Or if you could somehow shoot me a quick description(POP. How many buildings, that sort of thing) I have also been searching for a Who's Who in the vale, and also "Knacker-Knob", is there anything like that in the vault i'm missing? Also is there any other adventures besides D. Den set in Knacker Knob? I made "Knacker-Knob" the region containing Milinir, Torlunn, and Edgewater, named from the Hinfolk that lived in the huts back in the day. When I saw the map of TR with the Vale AND Knacker-Knob, it seemed like that was what the creator was intending.
Thank you for answering so quickly! Grim
Hello Grim! :)

So sorry about not being able to respond earlier.

I dont know that much has been done with the Vale outside me adding those locations to the map. Maybe I can find some time to do a short writeup of them soon. I am not sure that adding those locations to Thunder Rift was such a good idea. Maybe the Vale deserves to be its own thing somewhere else on Mystara.

I didnt even remember that Knacker-Knob was the name of the Dragon's Den Boxed Set. As you probably know, that was really just Karameikos with every name changed. Sounds like your adaptation to central Thunder Rift is something that would work well. I also toyed with moving the region to a part of the Isle of Dawn or somewhere else.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Grim
Orc

Post by Grim » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:05 am

Hey! Thank you very much for the reply, I thought my computer was broken! lol Ya I agree that it deserves it's own area, so what I did was put it in the Horned Hills area (i noticed someone else had the same idea in this forum) and then messed around with an "average scale" It works perfectly with Wrath of the Minotaur and the Minotaur/Manticore demanding tolls in the horned hills in Thunder rift lore. All I really need is just a little info on the town of Haven, if you don't mind, so I can get this campaign started. Thank you for all the other information, ie: red hand trail, it will come in handy once the party is out of the vale and into the heart of Thunder Rift. I will be looking for and buying the items i need for the cannon material when I find them (and when i have money lol) but in the meantime, I'm pretty stoked about this Thunder Rift campaign and appreciate all the help. I think it will be a good time for once being a dungeon master! CHEERS
GRIM

Grim
Orc

Post by Grim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:35 am

Grim wrote:Oh ya, one question I forgot...Which of the "red vale markers" is from "Crypt of Smoke Dragon" I have that one and I don't remember there being a specific crypt or tomb.
Thinking you might have over-looked this, any info on this Havard?
GRIM

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:10 am

Grim wrote:
Grim wrote:Oh ya, one question I forgot...Which of the "red vale markers" is from "Crypt of Smoke Dragon" I have that one and I don't remember there being a specific crypt or tomb.
Thinking you might have over-looked this, any info on this Havard?
Hello again! :)

It looks like you are correct. There aren't many details given to the location of the tomb in Crypt of the Smoke Dragon. There is a reference to a "mountain pass" and then there is "the dark river". None of these can be found on any of the maps of the Vale though.

I do believe that Crypt of the Smoke Dragon is connected to the Vale since it is part of the Fast Play series, but I suppose it can be placed anywhere. I must have been misremembering having used it for reference when I made the map.

Interestingly, Crypt of the Smoke Dragon uses a slightly different rules system than the later Fast-Play products as it allows the users to rely on six-sided dice only. It also has a much simpler approach to the rules than even the rest of the Fast-Play series, using "To-Hit-Number" instead of Armor Class and avoiding many other game mechanical terms. Its been a long time since I looked at this module, so thanks for giving me an opportunity to revisit it! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Grim
Orc

Post by Grim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am

It looks like you are correct. There aren't many details given to the location of the tomb in Crypt of the Smoke Dragon. There is a reference to a "mountain pass" and then there is "the dark river". None of these can be found on any of the maps of the Vale though.
What I did (IMC-In My Campaign) was create a small hamlet north Vale named "Mountain Pass" guarding a narrow gulley through the mountains heading west ending up on other side in Gauntlin forest....in the Smoke Dragon you are told you are in a mountain pass...not bad eh? lol
And Dark River is (IMC) an underground continuation of the river running east in Gauntlin forest (I call it.....wait for it......one more second longer.....East Gauntlin River.) It is called "Dark River"once it goes underground named by the underground creatures that dwell in the cavernous region of the Crypt and because there is no light duh
Interestingly, Crypt of the Smoke Dragon uses a slightly different rules system than the later Fast-Play products as it allows the users to rely on six-sided dice only. It also has a much simpler approach to the rules than even the rest of the Fast-Play series, using "To-Hit-Number" instead of Armor Class and avoiding many other game mechanical terms. Its been a long time since I looked at this module, so thanks for giving me an opportunity to revisit it! :)
Everything i am doing is following 3.5 rules (with my own house tweaks of course) I am just using the modules for storylines, encounters, maps, npc's, and such...

Oh and your welcome brother, THANK YOU for helping with my crazy campaign!
GRIM

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:22 pm

Grim wrote:
What I did (IMC-In My Campaign) was create a small hamlet north Vale named "Mountain Pass" guarding a narrow gulley through the mountains heading west ending up on other side in Gauntlin forest....in the Smoke Dragon you are told you are in a mountain pass...not bad eh? lol
And Dark River is (IMC) an underground continuation of the river running east in Gauntlin forest (I call it.....wait for it......one more second longer.....East Gauntlin River.) It is called "Dark River"once it goes underground named by the underground creatures that dwell in the cavernous region of the Crypt and because there is no light duh
I like that placement! And I also like the idea of a hamlet called Mountain Pass. That seems very appropriate! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Grim
Orc

Post by Grim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:07 pm

I like that placement! And I also like the idea of a hamlet called Mountain Pass. That seems very appropriate! :)
Thank you, brother, you haven't seen anything yet, I have been holding back on details because I haven't quite decided on some things and I don't want to keep changing the ideas on the forum, so as soon as everything is decided I will be posting all my ideas in a separate post about my whole campaign. I already posted a few things, but then ended up going back and changing my mind LOL for example my final decision on size and placement of the vale and haven took i think two or three edited posts!
Pretty stoked
GRIM

Return to “Thunder Rift”