Thunder Rift Product List

From the Plunging Cataract Falls to the Keep of the Black Knight, the Rift offers a miniature world filled with friends and foes alike.
The Book-House: Find Thunder Rift products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Thunder Rift Product List

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:13 pm

This is an overview of the products related to the Thunder Rift Setting. Thanks to Belathauzer for compiling most of this information, though I have edited it a little.

Boxed sets
  • 1070 Dungeons & Dragons Game - this is a BIG board game style boxed set with basic rules & adventures. It is not specifically set in TR, but Zanzer's Dungeon and Stonefast adventures have been placed there by fans (Havard specifically).
  • 1073 The Dragon's Den - this is a BIG board game style boxed set with three loosely linked adventures. It is not specifically set in TR, but it can be placed in TR or other places in Mystara.*
  • 1076 The Goblin's Lair - this is a BIG board game style boxed set with three somewhat closely linked adventures. It is specifically set in TR.
  • 1081 The Haunted Tower - this is a BIG board game style boxed set with three specifically linked adventures. It is specifically set in TR.
  • 1100 Dragon Quest - this is an even more basic version of 1070 Dungeons & Dragons Game. It is designed to be played partly as a board game and is targeted for even younger audiences. It is specifically set in TR and includes three very basic, specifically linked adventures set around Torlynn; which can be modified easily into any game and played together as a small trilogy. Not to be confused by the DragonQuest RPG (that is not related to Thunder Rift).
  • 1106 The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game - this is a standard sized boxed set reprint of 1070 Dungeons & Dragons Game.
Accessories
  • 9357 Thunder Rift (specifcally set in TR)
  • 9363 Character & Monster Assortment (not much of a supplement - just cardboard heroes & monsters)
  • 9437 DMR1 Dungeon Master’s Screen (includes the adventure Escape from Thunder Rift - specifcally set in TR)
Adventures
  • 9342 Quest for the Silver Sword (specifcally set in TR)
  • 9350 Assault on Raven’s Ruin (specifcally set in TR)
  • 9387 Sword and Shield (specifcally set in TR)
  • 9434 The Knight of Newts (specifcally set in TR)
  • 9435 Rage of the Rakasta (specifcally set in TR)
  • 9436 In the Phantom’s Wake (specifcally set in TR)
Dungeon Magazine Adventures
  • Dungeon 41 "A Way With Words" by Woodruff/ Beach TSR (Specifically set in TR)
Computer Games
  • Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Some references to TR)
The Vale (Not officially part of Thunder Rift)
  • 11450 Adventure Game - this is a standard sized boxed set containing basic rules and three somewhat linked adventures set in The Vale. Complete with a basic village/town - Haven - which the characters can use as a starting point. It is not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans (Havard specifically).
  • 11331 Wrath of the Minotaur - Fast-play rules and two adventures. A very basic wilderness/dungeon adventure (repeated in 11373 Eye of the Wyvern) and a basic dungeon adventure. It is not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans (Havard specifically).
  • 11373 Eye of the Wyvern - Fast-play rules and two adventures. A very basic wilderness/dungeon adventure (repeated in 11331 Wrath of the Minotaur) and a basic wilderness adventure. It is not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans (Havard specifically).

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: Thunder Rift Product List

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:27 pm

I was going to post a place-holder for this just a few seconds before you posted, Havard. But it looks like you pasted the list twice... might wanna clean that up ;)

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:45 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:I was going to post a place-holder for this just a few seconds before you posted, Havard. But it looks like you pasted the list twice... might wanna clean that up ;)
Done. Thanks for pointing that out Roger :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Belathauzer
Ogre

Post by Belathauzer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:39 pm

Havard wrote: Boxed sets
1106 The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game (not specifically set in TR, but Zanzer's Dungeon and Stonefast adventures have been placed there by fans)
1076 The Goblin's Lair (specifcally set in TR)
1081 The Haunted Tower (specifcally set in TR)

The Vale
1100 Dragon Quest (not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans)11331 Wrath of the Minotaur (not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans)
11373 Eye of the Wyvern (not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans)[/b]
I just realized that I screwed up these lists.

Havard - could you please edit your original post accordingly (I've elaborated a bit ;) ):

Boxed sets
1070 Dungeons & Dragons Game - this is a BIG board game style boxed set with basic rules & adventures. It is not specifically set in TR, but Zanzer's Dungeon and Stonefast adventures have been placed there by fans (Havard specifically).
1073 The Dragon's Den - this is a BIG board game style boxed set with three loosely linked adventures. It is not specifically set in TR, but it can be placed in TR or other places in Mystara.
1076 The Goblin's Lair - this is a BIG board game style boxed set with three somewhat closely linked adventures. It is specifically set in TR.
1081 The Haunted Tower - this is a BIG board game style boxed set with three specifically linked adventures. It is specifically set in TR.
1100 Dragon Quest - this is an even more basic version of 1070 Dungeons & Dragons Game. It is designed to be played partly as a board game and is targeted for even younger audiences. It is specifically set in TR and includes three very basic, specifically linked adventures set around Torlynn; which can be modified easily into any game and played together as a small trilogy.
1106 The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game - this is a standard sized boxed set reprint of 1106 The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game.

The Vale
11450 Adventure Game - this is a standard sized boxed set containing basic rules and three somewhat linked adventures set in The Vale. Complete with a basic village/town - Haven - which the characters can use as a starting point. It is not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans (Havard specifically).
11331 Wrath of the Minotaur - Fast-play rules and two adventures. A very basic wilderness/dungeon adventure (repeated in 11373 Eye of the Wyvern) and a basic dungeon adventure. It is not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans (Havard specifically).
11373 Eye of the Wyvern - Fast-play rules and two adventures. A very basic wilderness/dungeon adventure (repeated in 11331 Wrath of the Minotaur) and a basic wilderness adventure. It is not specifically set in TR, but the Vale and adventures have been placed in TR by fans (Havard specifically).
-- Long live Mystara!

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:04 pm

Has there been any Dungeon Magazine adventures set in the Thunder Rift?

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:23 pm

Belathauzer wrote:I just realized that I screwed up these lists.

Havard - could you please edit your original post accordingly (I've elaborated a bit ;) ):
Thanks! The "screw-up" might also be partly due to changes made by me, but I included all of your info now. I am not sure The Dragon's Den should be included though, since it is fairly obvious that the adventures were meant to be set in Karameikos before the name change...

Plaag: I also added the Dungeon adventure from #41 which is the only TR Dungeon adventure AFAIK.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks for the list folks, the discussion here has prompted me to hunt down a few of these and incorporate TR into my Mystara. This info gives me a good shopping list to work from.

Belathauzer
Ogre

Post by Belathauzer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:49 am

waylander39 wrote:Thanks for the list folks, the discussion here has prompted me to hunt down a few of these and incorporate TR into my Mystara. This info gives me a good shopping list to work from.
Happy hunting!

Thunder Rift is a quaint little setting, but there is still plenty room for your imagination. Plus it's great for introducing n00bs. ;)
-- Long live Mystara!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:04 pm

waylander39 wrote:Thanks for the list folks, the discussion here has prompted me to hunt down a few of these and incorporate TR into my Mystara. This info gives me a good shopping list to work from.
That's cool! :)

It seems like these discussions we've had about Thunder Rift here and at other forums have raised the awareness level about the setting considerably. :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks also for the list.

After reading the posts from Andrew Steven Harris I've decided Thunder Rift is a "must add" to my materials.

I've put the Thunder Rift ESD plus the 6 adventures on my "To Buy" list for next month.
My one question is - "Does anyone know if the ESD's of the boxed sets any good?"

Or can I just get along with the seven I've listed plus the "Escape from Thunder's Rift" that comes with DMR1?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:16 pm

Dave L wrote:Thanks also for the list.

After reading the posts from Andrew Steven Harris I've decided Thunder Rift is a "must add" to my materials.

I've put the Thunder Rift ESD plus the 6 adventures on my "To Buy" list for next month.
My one question is - "Does anyone know if the ESD's of the boxed sets any good?"

Or can I just get along with the seven I've listed plus the "Escape from Thunder's Rift" that comes with DMR1?
No idea about the quality of the boxed sets, but IMO Haunted Tower is the one that provides the most central information on Thunder Rift out of the boxed sets. Dragon's Den is hardly considered a TR supplement, as mentioned elsewhere.

Let us know what you think of the modules! :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Havard wrote:
Let us know what you think of the modules! :)

Havard
Well, at the moment I'm working through the campaign setting.
I have to admit that the river system was not intuitive - just by looking at the map I couldn't quite work out the various branches flowed. The text made it clear, but I remember some discussion on the old boards about the river system of the Known World - perhaps TSR had problems with rivers? :)

This paled into insignificance before the dwarf-elf marriage though!
I can't remember reading anything about this before, although I'm sure someone can point me to the threads where this has been discussed.

And that's where I am at the moment - I have to say it definitely has possibilities ... (to be continued :) )

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Dave L wrote:This paled into insignificance before the dwarf-elf marriage though!
I can't remember reading anything about this before, although I'm sure someone can point me to the threads where this has been discussed.
sorry about the late response on this one. The Elf Dwarf marriage is from the Thunder Rift history section. I am still working on an update to the Thunder Rift Timeline.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Colin McComb
Hobgoblin

Post by Colin McComb » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Dave L wrote: Well, at the moment I'm working through the campaign setting.
I have to admit that the river system was not intuitive - just by looking at the map I couldn't quite work out the various branches flowed. The text made it clear, but I remember some discussion on the old boards about the river system of the Known World - perhaps TSR had problems with rivers? :)
Hey all! I just found the link here from Dragonsfoot (yeah, okay, I'm behind the times), and I wanted to address this specifically:

When I was creating the map for Thunder Rift, I was thinking more about aesthetics than geological concerns, and so the rivers actually don't make any sense. It was only when the final map came in that Dave Sutherland (RIP) came over to admire the work with me... and then he said, "You know rivers don't actually flow like that, don't you?"

I said, "What do you mean?"

He replied, "Well, for one thing, they generally don't branch out from each other; they branch in. Also, in some places they look like they flow downhill and then back uphill. So basically, your rivers don't make sense."

I've never made that mistake again.

Thanks for having the forum here! For some reason, I never realized that TSR/WotC had actually promoted Thunder Rift beyond the first burst of adventures - I'm glad to see it's picked up some extra life!

-Colin
Oathbreaker, Book 1: The Knight's Tale
Now in e-print: my first fiction! (people say it's pretty good)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 am

Colin McComb wrote:Thanks for having the forum here! For some reason, I never realized that TSR/WotC had actually promoted Thunder Rift beyond the first burst of adventures - I'm glad to see it's picked up some extra life!
Welcome to the Piazza Colin! It is an honor having you here!

Thanks for sharing that story about the design of the map. I would love to hear more about the process of designing and creating Thunder Rift. If you are interested, I would like to set up an official Q&A with Colin McComb thread here. I am sure there are many of us who are interested in asking you about your ideas behind TR. One thing that has preoccupied us here quite a bit is the settings connection with Mystara. Did you (or do you now) have any thoughts on the connections between TR and Mystara?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Colin McComb
Hobgoblin

Post by Colin McComb » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:59 am

Havard wrote:
Colin McComb wrote:Thanks for having the forum here! For some reason, I never realized that TSR/WotC had actually promoted Thunder Rift beyond the first burst of adventures - I'm glad to see it's picked up some extra life!
Welcome to the Piazza Colin! It is an honor having you here!

Thanks for sharing that story about the design of the map. I would love to hear more about the process of designing and creating Thunder Rift. If you are interested, I would like to set up an official Q&A with Colin McComb thread here. I am sure there are many of us who are interested in asking you about your ideas behind TR. One thing that has preoccupied us here quite a bit is the settings connection with Mystara. Did you (or do you now) have any thoughts on the connections between TR and Mystara?

Havard

I'd be glad to - err, that is, answer questions about Thunder Rift (and Planescape/Birthright/Ravenloft stuff, if anyone's interested), though I must warn you that all memories are subject to recall provisions and the possibility of being entirely in error. :)

However, one thing I can assure you of is that Thunder Rift was definitely intended to be part of Mystara. As you know, TR was designed for introducing new players to Dungeons & Dragons - we had an executive mandate tying the design of the Thunder Rift series toward the promotion of the big boxes, and it was always assumed that the new gamers would gravitate toward Mystara, the home of Basic D&D.

Where was TR supposed to go exactly? Well, that's another matter altogether...

-Colin

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Hello Colin, and welcome to the Piazza! And thank you very much for agreeing to a Q&A thread. I hope you also get to check out the other forums of the settings you've been involved in. I'm sure they'd appreciate your memories and insight as well.

Colin McComb
Hobgoblin

Post by Colin McComb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:14 am

Hugin wrote:Hello Colin, and welcome to the Piazza! And thank you very much for agreeing to a Q&A thread. I hope you also get to check out the other forums of the settings you've been involved in. I'm sure they'd appreciate your memories and insight as well.
Hi, and thanks!

I've taken a look, but right now, they look like they've got things well in hand. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Colin McComb wrote:
Hey all! I just found the link here from Dragonsfoot (yeah, okay, I'm behind the times), and I wanted to address this specifically:

When I was creating the map for Thunder Rift, I was thinking more about aesthetics than geological concerns, and so the rivers actually don't make any sense. It was only when the final map came in that Dave Sutherland (RIP) came over to admire the work with me... and then he said, "You know rivers don't actually flow like that, don't you?"

He replied, "Well, for one thing, they generally don't branch out from each other; they branch in. Also, in some places they look like they flow downhill and then back uphill. So basically, your rivers don't make sense."

Did you ever find a way to retcon some of these rivers? Rivers might not generally split up, but it does actually happen. In London we have a small island (called Eel Pie Island) in the middle of the Thames (where logically you would expect an island to get swept away :o ).

I'm sure that (although it would be a fudge to fix an eariler flaw) you could design something into the system to split up rivers. If Savage Coast can have a special mineral that turns into Red Steel, then maybe Thunder Rift can have hard rocks and soft rocks. If you had natural veins of soft rocks, the water could carve out those channels and the geography could actually be defined by what is easiest for the water to push away.

As for rivers seeming to flow uphill, was that actually ever prooven? Could you get away with splitting Thunder Rift valleys into a series of different height valleys? If the first valley was 1,000 feet above sea level and the next one was only 900 feet above sea level that could give you 100 feet of "drop" that could give you a bit of room to fudge things.

And if that doesn't work then how about copying the magical nature of Savage Coast and creating a material that causes rivers to flow up hill! :D

And if that doesn't work then how about creating a "rift" in the World Shield that intereferes with gravity and causes subtle changes in the local direction of "up"?

I'm sure that some sort of thing could turn your "mistake" into an interesting feature that makes Thunder Rift more fun.
Somewhere in the world, there is someone out there who loves every single last product line that TSR (and WotC) have stopped supporting. WotC have provided some support for out of print settings, but sadly there is a lot of "edition war" and "setting war" on their forums. They even zapped the out of print forums a while back because we were not "posting enough to deserve separate forums".

The Piazza mostly has Mystara and Spelljammer fans (at the moment), but I think we would all love to see experts in every setting come onboard our forums and teach us a bit more about some of these lesser known classics.

I think Dragonsfoot does a great job for the grognoids, but over here we seem to be trying to bring together both the fans of old stuff and the fans of new stuff, so that we can put all the "my game is better than your game" nonsense to the side and learn from games we don't yet know about. So while a 3rd edition (or 4th edition) conversion of Thunder Rift wouldn't be appropriate for Dragonsfoot, I'm sure that a lot of us would love to see one get started over here. The Mystara conversions are still both on the core setting (the Known World) so Thunder Rift would need to go into the queue, but I'd love to download a 3e Thunder Rift Campaign Setting PDF (and while I don't play 4e, I'd love to see the 4e fans get to play with your world too).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:So while a 3rd edition (or 4th edition) conversion of Thunder Rift wouldn't be appropriate for Dragonsfoot, I'm sure that a lot of us would love to see one get started over here. The Mystara conversions are still both on the core setting (the Known World) so Thunder Rift would need to go into the queue, but I'd love to download a 3e Thunder Rift Campaign Setting PDF (and while I don't play 4e, I'd love to see the 4e fans get to play with your world too).
I could see us running multiple version of the Thunder Rift gazetteer, one for each edition. Ofcourse, we would have to finnish one version of the gaz before we can begin thinking too much about other versions... :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:So while a 3rd edition (or 4th edition) conversion of Thunder Rift wouldn't be appropriate for Dragonsfoot, I'm sure that a lot of us would love to see one get started over here. The Mystara conversions are still both on the core setting (the Known World) so Thunder Rift would need to go into the queue, but I'd love to download a 3e Thunder Rift Campaign Setting PDF (and while I don't play 4e, I'd love to see the 4e fans get to play with your world too).
I could see us running multiple version of the Thunder Rift gazetteer, one for each edition. Ofcourse, we would have to finnish one version of the gaz before we can begin thinking too much about other versions... :)
I think the best way to deal with this is to pick one edition - go with that, and then raid the artwork, maps and diagrams for the next project.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Colin McComb wrote:

Thanks for having the forum here! For some reason, I never realized that TSR/WotC had actually promoted Thunder Rift beyond the first burst of adventures - I'm glad to see it's picked up some extra life!

-Colin
I've made that mistake myself. However, there are a few types of branching rivers: Anabranch, Braided River, and Distributary channel.

Check out this map of the Fraser River watershed in British Columbia.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:22 am

So I'm probably going to start another campaign set in Thunder Rift - yet I noticed most of the modules are "2nd level" or above (and that Quest for the Silver Sword says it is the second module).

What would be a good order to run the modules in? Besides the "board game", are there any 1st level adventures set in TR?

Also - Is Stonefast a fan made item or it is an official product?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm a bit confused by this boxed set:
Havard wrote:Boxed sets
  • 1106 The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game - this is a standard sized boxed set reprint of 1106 The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game.
1106 is a reprint of 1106? And as well as having the same number it also has the same name. If it is a reprint of itself, wouldn't it just be listed with the name and a mention that there was a second printing? :?

Is this a reprint of something else (like "1070 Dungeons & Dragons Game")? :?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'm a bit confused by this boxed set:
Havard wrote:Boxed sets
  • 1106 The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game - this is a standard sized boxed set reprint of 1106 The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game.
1106 is a reprint of 1106? And as well as having the same number it also has the same name. If it is a reprint of itself, wouldn't it just be listed with the name and a mention that there was a second printing? :?

Is this a reprint of something else (like "1070 Dungeons & Dragons Game")? :?
Hmm...I copied that from Belathauzer as indicated in the first post.

The acaeum has more info, but does not include product codes.

1070 is what the acaeum refers to as the Fifteenth Edition (labelled the New And Easy to Master Dungeons & Dragons Game).

I believe that 1106 is the product the Acaeum refers to as the Seventeenth Edition, where the name changed to the Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game (1994).

The text of all of these boxes are identical (some changes in editing and layout) and ruleswise this is all 99% similar to BECMI and the RC.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Thunder Rift”