Photo manipulation Software. Any free ones?

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

Photo manipulation Software. Any free ones?

Postby Seethyr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 pm

One of my games describes a lake in the caldera of an inactive volcano set in a desert which is made entirely of the liquid mercury (quicksilver). I have absolutely zero art skill and even less desire to buy an expensive art program that I’ll only use this once.

I figure this could be done with photo manipulation - is that possible? Is there a free program that might have that capability?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Re: Photo manipulation Software. Any free ones?

Postby agathokles » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:37 am

The GIMP is suitable. It is free software.
GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Morfie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 am

Photoshop is free for the first 30 days.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm

agathokles wrote:The GIMP is suitable. It is free software.

Are there any GIMP tutorials that show how to use it to make RPG art?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dulsi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 pm

There are GIMP tutorials. I used one to turn a picture of my wife into a zombie. You need to be more specific on what you need for a tutorial to answer if one exists.

Seethyr: What are you looking for? Do you have an image and know what you want done to it? (I'm by no means an expert on GIMP so I may not be able to find your answer.)
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Seethyr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Thank you all so much! These are wonderful suggestions, I'll give GIMP a shot to start off with.

dulsi wrote:There are GIMP tutorials. I used one to turn a picture of my wife into a zombie. You need to be more specific on what you need for a tutorial to answer if one exists.

Seethyr: What are you looking for? Do you have an image and know what you want done to it? (I'm by no means an expert on GIMP so I may not be able to find your answer.)

I'm sure your wife loved that! :lol:

There is a location in one of the deserts of Maztica known as the Sunstone. There is actually no stone involved - it's a lake that formed in the caldera of an extinct volcano made entirely of mercury. It has some magical properties in 2e, and I am thinking of repurposing it to represent the blood of the goddess Maztica after she was slain by Zaltec.

I'm looking for a picture to use online (legally) that I could manipulate for a future adventure that fits the bill.

EDIT: I think I misremembered its definition a tad. It's a lake of liquid silver, which I must have assumed at one point was mercury/quicksilver.

The Maztica Boxed Set wrote:
This mysterious artifact occupies the crater of an abandoned volcano. Within the crater lies a lake of liquid silver, about 200 yards across.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:35 am

It sounds like you're already giving GIMP a try, but in case you're looking for someone to second the suggestion, I will. I'm no expert by any means, but I've used GIMP to handle small image manipulation projects for the fanzine that I work on. I've Googled some tutorials, and there seem to be a fair number of them out there. If I can't find a GIMP tutorial, I'll sometimes watch/read a PhotoShop tutorial instead. The menu items and commands may be a bit different, but the concepts are generally pretty similar.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to The Wishing Well