Photo manipulation Software. Any free ones?

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Photo manipulation Software. Any free ones?

Post by Seethyr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 pm

One of my games describes a lake in the caldera of an inactive volcano set in a desert which is made entirely of the liquid mercury (quicksilver). I have absolutely zero art skill and even less desire to buy an expensive art program that I’ll only use this once.

I figure this could be done with photo manipulation - is that possible? Is there a free program that might have that capability?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Photo manipulation Software. Any free ones?

Post by agathokles » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:37 pm

The GIMP is suitable. It is free software.
GP

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:16 am

Photoshop is free for the first 30 days.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:29 pm

agathokles wrote:The GIMP is suitable. It is free software.
Are there any GIMP tutorials that show how to use it to make RPG art?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:30 pm

There are GIMP tutorials. I used one to turn a picture of my wife into a zombie. You need to be more specific on what you need for a tutorial to answer if one exists.

Seethyr: What are you looking for? Do you have an image and know what you want done to it? (I'm by no means an expert on GIMP so I may not be able to find your answer.)
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Thank you all so much! These are wonderful suggestions, I'll give GIMP a shot to start off with.

dulsi wrote:There are GIMP tutorials. I used one to turn a picture of my wife into a zombie. You need to be more specific on what you need for a tutorial to answer if one exists.

Seethyr: What are you looking for? Do you have an image and know what you want done to it? (I'm by no means an expert on GIMP so I may not be able to find your answer.)
I'm sure your wife loved that! :lol:

There is a location in one of the deserts of Maztica known as the Sunstone. There is actually no stone involved - it's a lake that formed in the caldera of an extinct volcano made entirely of mercury. It has some magical properties in 2e, and I am thinking of repurposing it to represent the blood of the goddess Maztica after she was slain by Zaltec.

I'm looking for a picture to use online (legally) that I could manipulate for a future adventure that fits the bill.

EDIT: I think I misremembered its definition a tad. It's a lake of liquid silver, which I must have assumed at one point was mercury/quicksilver.
The Maztica Boxed Set wrote:
This mysterious artifact occupies the crater of an abandoned volcano. Within the crater lies a lake of liquid silver, about 200 yards across.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:35 am

It sounds like you're already giving GIMP a try, but in case you're looking for someone to second the suggestion, I will. I'm no expert by any means, but I've used GIMP to handle small image manipulation projects for the fanzine that I work on. I've Googled some tutorials, and there seem to be a fair number of them out there. If I can't find a GIMP tutorial, I'll sometimes watch/read a PhotoShop tutorial instead. The menu items and commands may be a bit different, but the concepts are generally pretty similar.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Mike Myler
Entropic Half-Fiend Flail Snail

Post by Mike Myler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 am

I'm a huge fan of Paint.net (download here). Simple to use and you can almost always find a plug-in by googling real quick.
There are dozens of free PDFs for my campaign settings on my website! Veranthea Codex (a coterie of 6 diverse areas of play in one heavily detailed 380+ page Pathfinder RPG book), Hypercorps 2099 (superhero cyberpunk Pathfinder and D&D 5E), Mists of Akuma (eastern fantasy noir steampunk for D&D 5E), 2099 Wasteland (apocalyptic atomic fantasy D&D 5E), and Book of Exalted Darkness (holy decopunk and evil for D&D 5e)! Check em out!

Return to “The Wishing Well”