WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
User avatar
Dragonhelm
Aurak
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:32 am
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:11 am
I'd like to see support for Ixalan with physical products. That would definitely make me take D&D 5E more seriously.
Why Ixalan in particular? I don't know much about it, that's why I am asking :)
For me, Ixalan is particularly intriguing as it is a fantasy MesoAmerican setting that isn't a direct rip-off of real-world history (read: Maztica). Yes, some of the real-world themes exist, but we don't view the natives as victims. Plus lots of cool visuals, including dinosaur riding.

In my own games, I'd replace Maztica with Ixalan any day. Just throw in Eagle and Jaguar Knights and you're good.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Image

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

User avatar
Dragonhelm
Aurak
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:04 am
This RPG.net post has the top 8 finalists. Rich Burlew came second and Nathan Toomey came third. The other runners up didn't sell their campaign settings to WotC, and some of them published their worlds via other publishers.
I had always thought that Dawnforge and Morningstar were the two runner-ups. I didn't know there were two that beat them out.

Links provided if anyone is interested, btw.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Image

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 8561
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:51 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:15 am
Aquela was a world that James Wyatt wrote up for the campaign setting search (the one that Eberron won). He published it free on his own website. It's been taken down since, but it was pretty interesting. I'm not sure if the Wayback Machine has a copy.
Taken down? Wut?

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23718
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:29 am

Havard wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:15 am
Sorry, I meant Aquela. :oops:

Aquela was a world that James Wyatt wrote up for the campaign setting search (the one that Eberron won). He published it free on his own website. It's been taken down since, but it was pretty interesting. I'm not sure if the Wayback Machine has a copy.
Maybe we should have a thread about it......? :ugeek:
We do: James Wyatt's Aquela. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23718
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:38 am

Dragonhelm wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:04 am
This RPG.net post has the top 8 finalists. Rich Burlew came second and Nathan Toomey came third. The other runners up didn't sell their campaign settings to WotC, and some of them published their worlds via other publishers.
I had always thought that Dawnforge and Morningstar were the two runner-ups. I didn't know there were two that beat them out.

Links provided if anyone is interested, btw.
I've been told that Wizards of the Coast bought all three of the finalist campaign settings and asked each designer to write a campaign bible.

It looks like the Eberron campaign bible impressed them more than the other two campaign bibles.

Technically, they could publish either of the other two as a 5th Edition campaign setting, as they own both of them. They don't own the rights to any of the other campaign settings. That's why the designers were able to sell them elsewhere. (WotC might have had a NDA period, while the contest was in process.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3176
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by willpell » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 pm
For me, Ixalan is particularly intriguing as it is a fantasy MesoAmerican setting that isn't a direct rip-off of real-world history (read: Maztica). Yes, some of the real-world themes exist, but we don't view the natives as victims. Plus lots of cool visuals, including dinosaur riding.

In my own games, I'd replace Maztica with Ixalan any day. Just throw in Eagle and Jaguar Knights and you're good.
I don't disagree with these parts of your proposition, but I do come to a different conclusion. In my opinion, Ixalan is too simplistic; it's a nice start, but as written, it's not complex enough to make a decent setting. With the same number of cards to work with, the designers of the original Ravnica made a setting that was ten times more multifaceted and rich with possibilities, which is why two subsequent years of Magic cards (including the current one) have revisited and expanded upon Ravnica, and it has finally ended up getting a D&D book. I seriously doubt that Ixalan can be expanded enough to make it similarly interesting; as written, it's a very small setting with only four major factions, all of them racing to reach a single prize. Once one of the four achieves that goal, what else is there to do with that whole setting?

User avatar
Dragonhelm
Aurak
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:11 am

willpell wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:17 pm
Dragonhelm wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 pm
For me, Ixalan is particularly intriguing as it is a fantasy MesoAmerican setting that isn't a direct rip-off of real-world history (read: Maztica). Yes, some of the real-world themes exist, but we don't view the natives as victims. Plus lots of cool visuals, including dinosaur riding.

In my own games, I'd replace Maztica with Ixalan any day. Just throw in Eagle and Jaguar Knights and you're good.
I don't disagree with these parts of your proposition, but I do come to a different conclusion. In my opinion, Ixalan is too simplistic; it's a nice start, but as written, it's not complex enough to make a decent setting. With the same number of cards to work with, the designers of the original Ravnica made a setting that was ten times more multifaceted and rich with possibilities, which is why two subsequent years of Magic cards (including the current one) have revisited and expanded upon Ravnica, and it has finally ended up getting a D&D book. I seriously doubt that Ixalan can be expanded enough to make it similarly interesting; as written, it's a very small setting with only four major factions, all of them racing to reach a single prize. Once one of the four achieves that goal, what else is there to do with that whole setting?
I kind of see Ixalan as a good place to visit for a few sessions, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I'm super excited for Ravnica. Finally, a new setting book!
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Image

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18586
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Havard » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 pm

Indeed, I could see Ixalan as a sourcebook to borrow material from for my Mystara/Hollow World games. I'm surprised that they want to publish each MtG setting separately rather than just a single MtG core book with additional supplements adding further detail to each plane. With one book per MtG setting that might get in the way of seeing any of my favorite TSR era D&D settings for years...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Dragonhelm
Aurak
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 am
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 pm
Indeed, I could see Ixalan as a sourcebook to borrow material from for my Mystara/Hollow World games. I'm surprised that they want to publish each MtG setting separately rather than just a single MtG core book with additional supplements adding further detail to each plane. With one book per MtG setting that might get in the way of seeing any of my favorite TSR era D&D settings for years...

-Havard
Did they say they were going to publish each one, or are they just doing some here and there?

Personally, I'm hoping for a mix.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Image

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:43 am

One of my players is running a side campaign for our group on Sundays, as opposed to my regular campaign on Wednesdays. He asked me what he can run - as his campaign is set in the world I designed, so I told him where my influence stops (anywhere off the map, basically), and that I had no intention of picking up Ravnica, or using Ixalan, Innistrad, or any of the other M:tG settings for D&D, and that he could use any of them if he wanted to.

As a matter of fact, I had set Ixalan in my campaign world, but far outside of my campaign area, so he could set it anywhere he wants to. I, as a player in his group, would love to adventure in Ravnica or Ixalan. Innistrad - not so much. :shock:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3176
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by willpell » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:55 pm

I would pick Innistrad over Ixalan, but I would pick New Phyrexia over either of them :twisted:

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:31 am

willpell wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:55 pm
I would pick Innistrad over Ixalan, but I would pick New Phyrexia over either of them :twisted:
I have nearly everything 1e/2e Ravenloft, so I'm good. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I like Innistrad, but its too dark for my D&D tastes. Phyrexia? Oh hells no. :o
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3176
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:12 am

What can I say, I like the dark settings, as long as they're cool. Gritty postapocalypse-type settings don't work for me, but anything that really lets you brood upon the horror, I'm into it.

User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 8561
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:55 am

I love my horror in my ttrpgs. Bring on New Phyrexia.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 18586
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 pm
Havard wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 pm
Indeed, I could see Ixalan as a sourcebook to borrow material from for my Mystara/Hollow World games. I'm surprised that they want to publish each MtG setting separately rather than just a single MtG core book with additional supplements adding further detail to each plane. With one book per MtG setting that might get in the way of seeing any of my favorite TSR era D&D settings for years...

-Havard
Did they say they were going to publish each one, or are they just doing some here and there?

Personally, I'm hoping for a mix.
Nah, they never said they were going to publish all of them.

But as the pool of worlds they *might* publish, in addition to the occasional new world has increased dramatically, so are the chances of seeing our favorite TSR era settings reduced.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 am

This might have been pointed out before (and I may even have been the one to have said it), but WotC stands to profit from this no matter what. By adding M:tG worlds & tropes to D&D rules, WotC will get those repeat customers - those who were M:tG players first, and a smaller percentage of D&D players with interests piqued in M:tG products that have nothing to do with D&D, but bear the familiar setting names that were ported over to D&D.

And yes, there is an Ixalan "board-game" (Explorers of Ixalan?) that is actually a M:tG card game, it's new approach is to include 4 pre-constructed M:tG decks, one for each "faction", and several terrain hex board tiles that the players put down randomly during play. I think it even has scout meeples for each player, to indicate brief ownership of the hex tiles.

Am I interested? Yes. How applicable will this be for a D&D Ixalan based campaign? Marginally. You can use the treasure cards in conjunction with the Planescape: Ixalan D&D setting PDF, so there's that. Woo.

And if this trend of producing relatable yet incompatible games gathers steam, then yes, Havard, we could indeed see a reduction in 'traditional' D&D setting products.

Why? As a corporate model, this strategy is ideal. You don't have to employ overly creative types to create games, but just repackage what you have, and make more money by selling it twice.

It's much cheaper than employing a creative type to create something new, that is untried and unproven, and hoping that it is fashionable or otherwise popular enough to make as much money as the other repackaged thing mentioned above.

If all they're planning is re-using M:tG settings as crossovers, then we aren't really getting anything "new".

The only way we get anything new is to look in the Piazza's own Homebrew section. If interest piques with our regulars here, and someone decides to market it (as some of us already have designs of doing), then we could get something new, but, getting it produced by WotC?

Probably not without DM's Guild. At this point.

We're better off with 3rd party producers that Kickstart or have Patreons.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1898
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by shesheyan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:20 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 am
This might have been pointed out before (and I may even have been the one to have said it), but WotC stands to profit from this no matter what. By adding M:tG worlds & tropes to D&D rules, WotC will get those repeat customers - those who were M:tG players first, and a smaller percentage of D&D players with interests piqued in M:tG products that have nothing to do with D&D, but bear the familiar setting names that were ported over to D&D.

And yes, there is an Ixalan "board-game" (Explorers of Ixalan?) that is actually a M:tG card game, it's new approach is to include 4 pre-constructed M:tG decks, one for each "faction", and several terrain hex board tiles that the players put down randomly during play. I think it even has scout meeples for each player, to indicate brief ownership of the hex tiles.

Am I interested? Yes. How applicable will this be for a D&D Ixalan based campaign? Marginally. You can use the treasure cards in conjunction with the Planescape: Ixalan D&D setting PDF, so there's that. Woo.

And if this trend of producing relatable yet incompatible games gathers steam, then yes, Havard, we could indeed see a reduction in 'traditional' D&D setting products.

Why? As a corporate model, this strategy is ideal. You don't have to employ overly creative types to create games, but just repackage what you have, and make more money by selling it twice.

It's much cheaper than employing a creative type to create something new, that is untried and unproven, and hoping that it is fashionable or otherwise popular enough to make as much money as the other repackaged thing mentioned above.

If all they're planning is re-using M:tG settings as crossovers, then we aren't really getting anything "new".

The only way we get anything new is to look in the Piazza's own Homebrew section. If interest piques with our regulars here, and someone decides to market it (as some of us already have designs of doing), then we could get something new, but, getting it produced by WotC?

Probably not without DM's Guild. At this point.

We're better off with 3rd party producers that Kickstart or have Patreons.
Maybe we should read and evaluate the Ravnica setting before passing judgment on what WoTC is doing in terms of new settings...

User avatar
Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant
Posts: 1267
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Location: "The Good Life"

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:26 am

Oh, I'm sure that Ravnica will be a good setting for D&D. I'm just not convinced of promises of "new". ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 1898
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by shesheyan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:58 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:26 am
Oh, I'm sure that Ravnica will be a good setting for D&D. I'm just not convinced of promises of "new". ;)
I don't play MtG. Not everyone does. I don't really know what Ravnica is all about. For us it will be new. :lol:

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3176
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: WotC says more MtG/D&D Crossovers and New D&D Worlds in the works

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 am
And yes, there is an Ixalan "board-game" (Explorers of Ixalan?) that is actually a M:tG card game, it's new approach is to include 4 pre-constructed M:tG decks, one for each "faction", and several terrain hex board tiles that the players put down randomly during play. I think it even has scout meeples for each player, to indicate brief ownership of the hex tiles.
They aren't meeples, just a tiny cardboard disk with a color-coded picture for each faction.

Post Reply

Return to “The Wishing Well”