Sovereign Stone being converted to Pathfinder RPG

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Sovereign Stone being converted to Pathfinder RPG

Post by Big Mac »

Tony Lee* has just put up a Kickstarter project up to fund a new Pathfinder RPG conversion of Sovereign Stone.

* = Tony was previously in charge of the 3.5 conversion of Sovereign Stone.

Here is what Tony is saying on the Sovereign Stone Pathfinder Edition page:
Help us bring Larry Elmore’s epic fantasy tale and world of Sovereign Stone back to tabletop gaming!

Sovereign Stone was a collaboration of tabletop RPG gaming luminaries featuring Larry Elmore, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Through Elmore's vivid visual renditions of unique personalities, clashing nations, fantastical creatures, and enchanting landscapes along with a saga weaved by Weis & Hickman, the culmination chronicled the struggle of mortals' attempt to master the unfathomable power of the Sovereign Stone given them from the gods--an artifact forged for peace among races but ignited war between brothers.

Now, Timeout Diversions humbly seeks your help in returning the heroic adventures and breathtaking backdrop of Sovereign Stone to gaming, in an iteration re-envisioned by the creators and redesigned for the most popular RPG system in the world -- Pathfinder® Roleplaying Game.

Sovereign Stone and the continent of Loerem originated as the brainchild of the award-winning, iconic fantasy artist, Larry Elmore. Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (of Dragonlance fame) recounted its gripping conflict in a best-selling novel trilogy from HarperCollins, while a collection of sourcebooks further refined and detailed the setting.

Beyond the arc that took us from the explosive destruction of Old Vinnengael to the final showdown with Dagnarus, the Prince of Void, Mr. Elmore still had plenty more stories to tell: about the dragon-hunting bahks, the wandering monks who record history as tattoos on their bodies, the magical Portals, the aftermath of the Vrykyl War... everything!

With your help, we can both introduce an amazing world to those who have yet to experience its rich past, and discover the future of Sovereign Stone together.

Timeout Diversions intends to achieve the former by marrying the property to the Pathfinder® game system under Paizo Publishing's Pathfinder® Compatibility License. As the most popular RPG worldwide, Pathfinder® boasts legions of players for us to acquaint them with all that is unique about Loerem and Sovereign Stone, from distinctive races such as seafaring orks, nomadic dwarves, feudal Japan-like elves, pint-sized pecwae and their human barbarian Trevinici protectors, to a whole new interpretation of magic and spellcasting specific to the setting, yet with familiar Pathfinder® mechanics. Additionally, we plan to present innovative options, including Destiny Points that reward personal accomplishments and cooperative roleplaying. Your pledge will enable us to not only revive Sovereign Stone, but create new enthusiasts for the setting.

You also have everything to do with the latter. Given your help, we can continue to explore Loerem with new, engaging storylines from Mr. Elmore, whose storytelling has regaled friends and fans at conventions throughout the world. What will become of the Sovereign Stone and those destined to inherit its power (who could very well by YOUR character in a campaign)? What new forces will rise, and what alliances will perish? What mysteries and wonders await daring adventurers in the uncharted land opposite Loerem? Your pledge will open the door to infinite intrigues.

WHO ARE WE?

Timeout Diversions is responsible for Wild World Wrestling, the undisputed champ of all pro-wrestling RPGs (which features a nifty maneuver system to make your own moves on the fly!), and Killer Thriller, a game designed to simulate slasher movies to the last drop of blood. The outfit is led by Tony Lee, who has been designing, developing, editing, and contributing to game-related stuff for over 15 years. For Sovereign Stone, Timeout has assembled a talented and experienced roster (Larry Elmore, Don Perrin, Trampas Whiteman, and more) to ensure the project's success.

Please check out our website for more info.

Considering the project was only put up today, it has already raised $4,219 of its $10,000. So I think that it will probably go over the limit before the 26th of May.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: Sovereign Stone being converted to Pathfinder RPG

Post by Princess Strega »

Backed at the $30 level!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Wow. The project already got $12,188, which is above the $10,000 funding goal, so will be financed.

Here are the initial stretch goals:
Tony Lee at Kickstarter wrote:GOAL #1: $15,000

Adventure Anthology: A collection of scenarios in PDF for you to begin your adventures in the world of Sovereign Stone.

GOAL #2: $20,000
New Sovereign Stone Short Story in PDF: Written by none other than the popular and prolific Matt Forbeck (Brave New Worlds, Amortals, Vegas Knights)!

GOAL #3: $25,000

Special 8"x10" Commemorative Prints: Cover-art prints of all three core books, plus a Certificate of Authenticity signed and numbered by Larry Elmore; limited to backers of Scholar of Loerem level and above.
Scholar of Loerem is $79 in the US only. There is also an International Scholar of Loerem that is $109 in Canada and $129 outside of Canada.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Amazing!

I'd love to see a return of Sovereign Stone and the fact that it has already made its goal means that it will be happening! I think Pathfinder is a great choice of system and I love how Pathfinder is expanding to multiple settings now.

How many PF settings are there?

Based on some posts on Facebook, Larry Elmore seems very enthusiastic about this project, which is cool :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar »

Well, count me psyched to see more work by Elmore. His work is D&D to me. (yes, I know it's Pathfinder but I think you know what I mean)
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

ghendar wrote:Well, count me psyched to see more work by Elmore. His work is D&D to me.
I agree with Elmore defining D&D to me. Unfortunately, the review of the older Sovereign Stone kinda turned me off to the 3/3.5 version. Specifically it using an entirely different spell system. I suspect they will do the same here. Not that it matters that much to me since I have Pathfinder yet.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

Hi, all! As you probably all know, I've been a part of the Dragonlance 3.5 design team. I'm happy to say that I am going to be helping Tony on this project in a big way. I'm really excited by where this is going.
dulsi wrote:
ghendar wrote:Well, count me psyched to see more work by Elmore. His work is D&D to me.
I agree with Elmore defining D&D to me. Unfortunately, the review of the older Sovereign Stone kinda turned me off to the 3/3.5 version. Specifically it using an entirely different spell system. I suspect they will do the same here. Not that it matters that much to me since I have Pathfinder yet.
There were, in my opinion, a few mistakes that prior editions of Sovereign Stone had.

Basically, there were only 3 classes from the PHB that were included - barbarian, fighter, and rogue. That invalidated a good chunk of the core rules for the setting. In the place of the core rules were a bunch of new rules, such as the spellcasting system and new classes. A good portion of those new classes were redundant.

It comes down to the debate of setting vs. system. We've seen with prior editions of Sov. Stone how setting won out, pushing away Pathfinder fans. We have seen the other opposite extreme with the Forgotten Realms where the setting has to change based on system changes.

What Tony and I are going for is a nice marriage of the two. We want to preserve the flavor of the setting, while using the Pathfinder rules as much as possible so that Pathfinder fans who find Sovereign Stone can jump right in. :cool:
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:I'd love to see a return of Sovereign Stone and the fact that it has already made its goal means that it will be happening! I think Pathfinder is a great choice of system and I love how Pathfinder is expanding to multiple settings now.

How many PF settings are there?
I don't know how many campaign settings there are for Pathfinder, but given that I disagree with the "AD&D had too many settings" mantra, I'd love to know how many settings there will be for Pathfinder by the time Sovereign Stone is converted.
Havard wrote:Based on some posts on Facebook, Larry Elmore seems very enthusiastic about this project, which is cool :)
Larry Elmore is actually plugging the Kickstarter on Facebook with a Sovereign Stone Pathfinder Event. Here is what he said:
Larry Elmore on Facebook wrote:Hey Everyone, the Sovereign Stone RPG is coming back. My good buddy Tony Lee has licensed the Sovereign Stone world from me to produce a Pathfinder edition. I am so excited to be working with Tony on this, as there were many stories yet to be told.

Please check out his Kickstarer page at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571 ... er-edition.

With your help, we can bring Sovereign Stone back!!!
dulsi wrote:
I don't own Codex Mysterium yet. But it does seem to be quite different from standard D&D. I do remember that the Tome of Magic had elemental magic built into it (although there was no void there). I would wonder how that compares to Codex Mysterium. I think it would be good to have a thread in the Other Worlds forum to talk about this book, as I for one would love to know more about it.

But to get back to your point, the Kickstarter package does include a core book called "The Codex Mysterium", so I'm guessing it is going to go down a similar route. Here is the blurb:
Tony Lee on Kickstarter wrote:The Codex Mysterium: Spellcasters enter combat in full armor, firing spells that befall cities. Wizards collaborate to unleash unstoppable arcane might. The Codex Mysterium introduces new options for magic and spellcasting, all fully compatible with the Pathfinder® system. Within these pages you'll find new spells for Elemental and Void mages, new prestige classes, rules for spell creation, plus detailed information on spellcasters in the Sovereign Stone world, including the formidable battle-mages from the Temple of the Magi, the mysterious Elven Wyred, the mage guilds of Dunkarga, the devout Nimran priests, the rampaging Dwarven Firewielders, and much more. SRP: $30.00
If you are interested in the other aspects of the campaign setting, maybe you could toss the built in magic system and use the standard Pathfinder magic system instead. You can actually buy some of the books without buying The Codex Mysterium, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to buy all the other books without buying this one.
Dragonhelm wrote:There were, in my opinion, a few mistakes that prior editions of Sovereign Stone had.

Basically, there were only 3 classes from the PHB that were included - barbarian, fighter, and rogue. That invalidated a good chunk of the core rules for the setting. In the place of the core rules were a bunch of new rules, such as the spellcasting system and new classes. A good portion of those new classes were redundant.
So basically, they only kept the non-magical classes? That is quite radical, but then again the 3e Dragonlance Campaign Setting was also fairly radical with the magical classes. So there is a precedent for this sort of stuff in an in-house campaign setting. Ironically you have Tracey Hickman and Margaret Weis writing the novels for both magic-rebooted settings.
Dragonhelm wrote:It comes down to the debate of setting vs. system. We've seen with prior editions of Sov. Stone how setting won out, pushing away Pathfinder fans. We have seen the other opposite extreme with the Forgotten Realms where the setting has to change based on system changes.
I would go for setting over rules system every time. I kind of thing there is an "implied fluff" that goes along with crunchy stuff. If you start adding something like a paladin, that is going to imply the virtues of paladinhood and maybe paladin orders and they are going to have to come along with it.

But I think that new rules can be brought in, if you have a mechanism that brings in new people. Maybe a new continent could be designed for Sovereign Stone at some point, so that parts of the Pathfinder/D&D system that have never belonged there could be associated with a discovered island or somesuch.
Dragonhelm wrote:What Tony and I are going for is a nice marriage of the two. We want to preserve the flavor of the setting, while using the Pathfinder rules as much as possible so that Pathfinder fans who find Sovereign Stone can jump right in. :cool:
I'm hoping that there will be some previews and updates that are made public at some point.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Big Mac wrote:Wow. The project already got $12,188, which is above the $10,000 funding goal, so will be financed.
The project has reached $21,152, so has got to its first and second stretch goals!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Wow. The project already got $12,188, which is above the $10,000 funding goal, so will be financed.
The project has reached $21,152, so has got to its first and second stretch goals!
The project is now on $26,522, so the third stretch goal has also been unlocked. They now have two further goals:
Tony Lee at Kickstarter wrote:GOAL #4: $30,000
New Sovereign Stone Story in PDF: Written by game designer and novelist Don Perrin, with a short scenario based on the story!

GOAL #5: $40,000
New Vinnengael: Empire of Might PDF: Everything you want to know about the new incarnation of Vinnengael, the most crucial city on Loerem and the pinnacle of humanity! Help us bring this completely new, never-published-before sourcebook to you -- our backers and fans of Sovereign Stone!
I'm not totally sure about goal 5, right now, but I think they will hit the 4th goal.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

I am now a backer. Would be a shame to miss this one :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:I am now a backer. Would be a shame to miss this one :)
CANADIANS, BRITS AND EUROPEANS! SWITCH YOUR PLEDGE NOW!

Tony Lee has negotiated reduced shipping rates for both Canada ($30 savings) and the UK and Europe ($20 savings).

If you have backed the Kickstarter project at Scholar, Adventurer, or Luminary, you need to drop your pledge from the original international rate to one of these new rates (otherwise Kickstarter will take the higher amount of money from your account).

Here is the full announcement:
Tony Lee at Facebook wrote:It is our pleasure to inform fans of Larry Elmore and Sovereign Stone in Canada, United Kingdom, and Europe that we have found a way to drop the cost of shipping to your parts of the world! We listened, we looked around, we looked around some more, and then we worked hard on a solution... The result? A sizable saving of $10-$30 off original shipping cost with new, revised Reward Levels (at Scholar, Adventurer, and Luminary) specifically for Canada, UK, and Europe!

There's nothing more we want than to have as many fans worldwide enjoy the new edition as possible, and though it took us a while, we finally broke down the barrier... Sure, we have just under two weeks left for this Kickstarter, but that's no excuse for us not to save you money or give others more reasons to discover Loerem and Sovereign Stone!

We hope our Canadian, British, and European backers, current and prospective, will find this a delightful as well as enticing development. And if that's you, please tell a friend or a dozen :), especially if they're Pathfinder players.

(Please note that we were, unfortunately and regrettably, unable to lower the shipping cost for Hero levels and above, due to US Postal Service rates for hardcover books and other restrictions.)

If you've already pledged at an International level for Scholar, Adventurer, or Luminary, please switch your pledge to the appropriate revision according to your location (once again, for those in Canada, U.K., and Europe only), so you can save immediately.

Thank you all for your support!
If you know anyone that has backed this project, please pass this information onto them, so that people do not accidentally pay extra.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

That is great news. Saved me some money there :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

Tony Lee from Timeout Diversions had this to say about magic on the Paizo boards:
What we're planning to do is to present two systems: one which won't stray too far off the conventional Pathfinder magic so PF players can pick up the tweaks quickly, and one "optional" where "spellcasting rolls" and other ideas from the old system you mentioned are still in effect.

To start off, all spells from the PF Core Rulebook will be divided by elements. So "Cure Wounds" are exclusively Earth spells, "Invisibility" is Air, divination is either Fire or Water depending on end effects, necromantic spells are Void, etc. Some spells will get "elemental overlay"; for example, if you pick up "Magic Missile" as a Fire Mage, it's a "Fire Magic Missile"; as a Water Mage, "Water Magic Missile".

If you're using the PF magic system, spellcasters like Wizards and Sorcerers become Elemental Mages and they must choose an element (similar to how clerics choose Domains), with choice of "multi-classing" into another (or more) element later. From there, they get the spell list for their chosen elements, cast spells and progress like in any normal PF game.

The deviation for using the Sovereign Stone magic system from d20 3.0/3.5 comes after that. Each spell will be given a Casting Threshold (CT) and it goes off once you've matched or exceeded the CT. In other words, the general basis for the old system will remain, but is simplified and more streamlined, with expansion provided in the Codex Mysterium (admittedly with a PF slant since that's rather unavoidable). So yes, while the PF side figures to be more prominent, you can pretty much still have the "old way" of doing magic for your campaign if you want--we haven't forgotten our old fans... :)
I think this is a great compromise. The classic system, which many fans loved, will be represented, but you will also get a more Pathfinder-ized version for traditional Pathfinder fans.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

It is almost a year on now. I've checked the recent updates on Kickstarter and the PDFs are entering the proofreading phase, with Kickstarter backers helping to make sure that errors are moved before the physical books are printed.

I am not sure how long it would be before the books go to press, but I asked if there was a buy-in option for anyone who missed the Kickstarter and here is what Tony Lee said:
Tony Lee at the Sovereign Stone group on Facebook wrote:Absolutely. Please have them contact me at info at timeoutdiversions dot com. Thanks!
I'm guessing that some of the personalised options (like getting yourself painted as a Dominion Lord or Vrykyl might now be impossible, but if the books have not gone to press, it might still be possible to print some extra copies.

I would recommend shooting off an email, to see what is still available.

Return to “The Wishing Well”