Dragon Kings Project - spiritual successor to Dark Sun

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

Dragon Kings Project - spiritual successor to Dark Sun

Postby Allen Varney » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Original Dark Sun campaign setting co-creator Timothy Brown and artist Brom are teaming again to create a multimedia "spiritual successor" to Dark Sun, the Dragon Kings Project:
I’m creating a new role-playing game universe that I want to conceive in fiction, art, and music all at the same time. I’m calling it Dragon Kings, and it will be my ‘spiritual successor’ to the fantasy setting Dark Sun.

Right now I believe that will include:
  • A progressive rock CD
  • An art-intensive ‘album’ or ‘concert’ style book that expands heavily on each song (with lyrics, more stories, maps, specific art, etc.)
  • A hardbound game book
That’s the plan!

Watch this space. I’ll be putting up ideas and art, even scratch tracks and finished songs as we go along. I’m recruiting a lot of old friends to contribute, and some really talented people who I’m working with for the first time, too.

It’s going to be a journey, kind of an adventure in itself, and while I have all the basic concepts designed now I just tell you how far all these ideas will eventually go.

The collaboration with other talented people is just beginning, and those aspects of the world are starting to take shape. I’ll tell you one thing: I haven’t had this much fun in years! I think you’ll enjoy it, too, and look forward to sharing it with you as it comes to life!

Dragon Kings Project
Allen Varney
Bugbear

Re: Dragon Kings Project - spiritual successor to Dark Sun

Postby Havard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:38 am

Sounds like fun!

I wonder how much this will have in common with the original setting. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragonhelm » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:53 am

This looks really neat! I love the idea of combining an RPG with music.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby agathokles » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm not into music, but the project seems interesting even for just its gaming part.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Havard wrote:I wonder how much this will have in common with the original setting. :)

It sounds like it will be inspired by Dark Sun and use some similar themes. A lot of it is not copyrightable. But they won't be able to use the same names and explain things in the same way.

Perhaps a Dark Sun fan could shoehorn the Dragon Kings setting onto the back of Athas. Maybe Athas.org will publish some sort of conversion PDF that helps people raid stuff from Dragon Kings and convert it to Dark Sun.

I see a lot of names I know on the Dragon Kings Kickstarter page:

Dragon Kings Kickstarter page wrote:THE DRAGON KINGS TEAM

Timothy Brown, Dragon Kings’ creator, has said “this is my spiritual successor to Dark Sun.” He is a writer, songwriter, and performer on the project.

He has recruited a talented team to contribute to the project including but not limited to...

Artists and Cartographers: Thomas Babbey, Thomas M. Baxa, Brom, Diesel, Thomas Denmark, Alyssa Faden

Musicians: Frank Klepacki, Mark Stevens, Mike Stone

Game Designers and Editors: Ricardo Bianconi, Tom Cadorette, Darren W. Pearce, Thomas M. Reid

Short Story Authors and Editors: Jamie Chambers, Jeff Grubb, Shane Hensley, James Lowder, Colin McComb, Don Perrin, Jean Rabe, Steven Schend, Stan!, James M. Ward, Steve Winter

Community & PR Manager: Mathew Anderson

Social Media Manager: Robert Adducci

They have impressive resumes. Check them and others out on the Dragon Kings website at:

http://www.dragonkingsproject.com/bios

A couple of those names are people with accounts at The Piazza. I wonder if they will write about Dragon Kings here, when it gets published. Maybe there will be a Dragon Kings forum at The Piazza one day. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dulsi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Looks like it is available on drivethrurpg. Did anyone join the kickstarter or purchase it?
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 pm

dulsi wrote:Looks like it is available on drivethrurpg. Did anyone join the kickstarter or purchase it?

I didn't join the Kickstarter. To be honest, I wasn't exactly sure what the Kickstarter was supposed to be. There wasn't enough information for me to make a purchasing decision. I was not really interested in the music and was not sure what actual game content the Kickstarter would provide.

Now it is out, I might get a chance to read (and listen to) some samples, so that I can work out if I want it.

There is a Dragon Kings Gazetteer on their website that you can download. It isn't really enough of a "gazeteer" to play a RPG session. It seems more like a booklet inserted into the CD case to me. But it does look really awesome and it proves that they have good enough production values.

I am interested in the Dragon Kings World Book, but there is no description on the DriveThru page, the page for the Worldbook on the Dragon Kings website* is a deadlink. I'm not even sure if there are going to be actual RPG rules in the book. :?

* = Link found under "Learn more" under the World Book section on the Dragon Kings homepage.

EDIT: I found a link to a Dragon Kings flyer that has the Pathfinder RPG, Savage Worlds and 13th Age logos, but I'm not going to buy anything from DriveThru RPG until I confirm that I'm buying the right thing.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Raddu » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the heads up.

The Worldbook link now works.

Tim is going to get a description up on DriveThruRPG, here's what he's putting up.

… the savage world revealed, a book of wondrous lore

Read of the Dragon King Pretenders in their Black Fortress, of the factions and strange races vying for control of the wastelands and their sand-blasted cities. The Dragon Kings World Book tells many tales, many legends, and sets the stage for the many adventures to come.

Behold, those who would dominate the savage world of Khitus!

Factions

Bev al-Khim: Mysterious pale-skinned agents and brokers
Boneshards: Deadly assassins scarred by hidden weapons
Dramidge: A magic college of isolated wizards devoted to dragons
Gare Attessa: The omnipresent Chroniclers, royal advisers and watchers
Kuad Ahir: The Awakened, followers of the Prophet
Merchants: From peddlers to caravan masters, the world’s traders
Nyutu: The All-Seeing, transient entertainers with unique mental powers
Qath Manhir: Equivocally honorable brigands and enforcers
Raetann: Bureaucratic Water Guild, emergent challengers to power
Rakar: A magic college, the Cozeners, keepers of slave decoys
Shadazim: Right Minders, new clergy of the ancient gods
Trakeen: The Faithful, worshipers of the departed Dragon Kings
Yenfansa: Feared and little-understood Devil’s Children, the White Eyes

Tribes and Races

Attites: Human negotiators and peacemakers
Chindi: Human matriarchal traders and warriors on the fringes of the known world
Cold Skins/Oritahl: Lizard men of the swamps with growing awareness
Krikis: Bug men that hoard bright lode
Makadan: Human warrior culture and source of many Khitan mercenaries
Nordor: Human barbarian stone carvers from the frigid north
Pachyaur: Elephantaurs of the equator
Penmai: Daring acrobatic humanoids with prehensile tails
Prajalu: Short, stocky humans feared as poison makers and child stealers
Watu: Slaver elephantaurs

Dragon Kings is the new fantasy role-playing setting by Timothy Brown, co-designer of Dark Sun and 2300AD.

The Dragon Kings World Book is system-agnostic; get the free PDF rule supplements to play with your favorite game systems, including Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and 13th Age! (available soon through Studio 2!)

Written by Timothy Brown
Cover Art by Brom
Interior Art by Thomas Denmark, Thomas M. Baxa, Thomas Babbey, and others
Cartography by Alyssa Faden
Founder of Image
@Raddu76
Raddu
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Raddu wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the heads up.

The Worldbook link now works.

Thanks!

Raddu wrote:Tim is going to get a description up on DriveThruRPG, here's what he's putting up.

<snip>

Looks good.

The Dragon KingsWorld Book page has some stuff that is written differently to DriveThru RPG. I think it is worth discussing here:
Dragon KingsWorld Book wrote:Dragon KingsWorld Book

When the warrior’s tale ends, the epic struggle for Khitus just begins!

Dragon Kings is a complete role-playing setting, described in the World Book, supplemented with additional gaming items including free PDF rules supplements for Pathfinder, Savage Worlds and 13th Age, with more to follow!

WORLD BOOK

In better days, the Dragon Kings ruled beneficently over the face of Khitus. The city-states around the Inland Seas thrived beneath their wings. They let each nation and each civilization flourish in its own idiom, all free peoples, unmolested, unafraid.

But those days lay buried beneath dust and sand.

Over the centuries, the Dragon Kings retreated gradually from the world, and in their absence malignancies grew. Greed, war, and pestilence emerged to blight the land. The world’s best days faded into memory.

Now the Dragon Kings are spoken of only in hushed tones, for fear of incurring their wrath. They oversee the savage plundering of Khitus, the theft of anything and everything of value. Their raiders steal it all – metal, gemstones, even food and weapons – and march the weak away in chains. Worse still, the Dragon Kings employ powerful magic to redirect entire rivers and keep the very clouds for themselves, leaving a scorched wasteland of bones and despair.

Khitus is a world in need of heroes, but who can face these wicked Dragon Kings?

Dragon Kings will be a rich and diverse fantasy setting that emphasizes a unique struggle of good versus evil and desperate survival on a dwindling world being quite literally plundered dry.

Chapter 1: One World Among Many
Chapter 2: The Struggle for Khitus
Chapter 3: Races & Realms
Chapter 4: The Cities
Chapter 5: Traversing the Wastelands
Chapter 6: Traces of the Daragkarik
Chapter 7: Bestiary
Chapter 8: Sorcery’s Mind
Chapter 9: Gods & Demigods
Chapter 10: Khitus in Flux

The page says that the World Book is a 168 page PDF or a hardback.

I'm guessing that "Khitus" is the world name.

I wonder if Khitus would fit onto an empty part of Athas (or vice versa).

I wonder if Khitus's Dragon Kings could be rebooted as Sorcerer Kings, if someone was trying to use this as a Dark Sun expansion. Alternative, I wonder if both ideas could co-exist, without invalidating each other.

Dragon KingsWorld Book wrote:More role-playing accessories:

Vital game and world information plus the New Dunes Marauder 16-page introductory adventure (Coming soon!)

The world of Dragon Kings, drawn by Alyssa Faden (Coming soon!)

FREE PDF Rules Supplements (Coming soon!)
ImageImageImage

Savage Worlds and the Savage Worlds logo are trademarks of Pinnacle Entertainment Group. Pathfinder and the Pathfinder logo are trademarks of Paizo, Inc. 13th Age and the 13th Age logo are trademarks of Pelgrane Press, Ltd.

I wonder if "Vital game and world information plus the New Dunes Marauder" is one thing or two things.

Alyssa Faden - Woohoo! :D But what is Diesel doing (he is listed on the Bios page) if Alyssa is doing the cartography?

Does free mean free to everyone, or free to anyone who buys the World Book? If it is free to everyone, that could probably help a GM get players to give Dragon Kings a go.

Will the free PDFs be any use to anyone who wants to play a Dark Sun game using Pathfinder, Savage Worlds or 13th Age rules or are they so specific to Dragon Kings, that someone would have to start a Dark Sun conversion from scratch?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby XstarkillerX » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Well this seems like a great project.
While I'm not really into prog rock, the book looks really interesting. I especially like the fact that the main book will be systemless, and the free companion PDFs for the various RPG systems is just the icing on the cake. I'm looking forward to scavenge this books for use with the unknown parts of Athas.
I wonder if we'll see a D&D conversion with the imminent release of the new edition.
I think I'll probably have to acquire this product. :P
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:45 am

XstarkillerX wrote:Well this seems like a great project.
While I'm not really into prog rock, the book looks really interesting. I especially like the fact that the main book will be systemless, and the free companion PDFs for the various RPG systems is just the icing on the cake. I'm looking forward to scavenge this books for use with the unknown parts of Athas.

It does look pretty good.

XstarkillerX wrote:I wonder if we'll see a D&D conversion with the imminent release of the new edition.

Technically, WotC will not be releasing the 5e OGL until after the PHB, DMG and MM have all been published. So there could not be a D&D conversion of Dragon Kings until after that.

However, there is already a Kickstarter to revive the Necromancer Games name as a "5th Edition Rules - 1st Edition Feel" publisher. So I guess their plan is to comply with the D&D Basic Rules, get everything ready and then make any modifications as soon as the 5e OGL and SRD are published.

So the Dragon Kings Team could do the same thing if they wanted to. But it is probably outside the scope of the original Kickstarter.

XstarkillerX wrote:I think I'll probably have to acquire this product. :P

I might get it too.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Wishing Well