Lankhmar coming for DCC Classics

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Lankhmar coming for DCC Classics

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Dungeon Crawl Classics fans will be interested in this news:
GaryCon is happening this weekend and over there Goodman Games announced that they have the following in the works:

This is especially interesting because Pinnacle Press have also stated that they will be releasing Lankhmar for their Savage Worlds RPG.

I guess fans of Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar will have plenty to pick and choose from then! :)

According to RPG.netGoodman Games have one module available now (depicted above) and a boxed set in the works for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Savage Worlds fans can look forward to the following books/material:
  • The Savage World of Lankhmar
  • Lankhmar: City of Thieves ( detailing the city itself and its most important players—including Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser)
  • Savage Foes of Nehwon
  • Savage Tales of the Thieves’ Guild
  • Lankhmar Game Master’s Screen
  • premium metal miniatures (probably useful for those wanting to use DCC, AD&D or other systems as well!)

Piazza fans of Lankhmar might also want to check out this thread for more discussion of this gritty fantasy setting.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Lankhmar coming for DCC Classics

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Awesome news!
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:04 pm

Very exciting!
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:27 pm

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Nice scoop! Do we know what system the DCC product will be written for?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:Nice scoop! Do we know what system the DCC product will be written for?
Most of their stuff lately has been for the DCC RPG but that's easily convertible to early editions of the World's Most Popular Role-Playing Game (to use "industry talk")

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Yeah I am pretty sure the DCC Classics products will be for the DCC Classic RPG, even though Goodman Games have been making modules for other editions under the Dungeon Crawl Classics brand for years of course.

There was some discussion on RPG.net suggesting that the designers are considering making changes to the rules to better accomodate the Lankhmar setting. Not sure what that will mean specifically.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:43 pm

Havard wrote:Yeah I am pretty sure the DCC Classics products will be for the DCC Classic RPG, even though Goodman Games have been making modules for other editions under the Dungeon Crawl Classics brand for years of course.

There was some discussion on RPG.net suggesting that the designers are considering making changes to the rules to better accomodate the Lankhmar setting. Not sure what that will mean specifically.

-Havard
Magic needs an overhaul. There don't seem to be any spell-granting clerics, and sorcery seems a long, tedious and ritual-based process. Possibly all characters should be able to learn sorcery, and/or if they want to have a "sorcerer" class, some sort of multiclassing must be allowed (see e.g. the Mouser.)
The best treatment of Lankhmar sorcery I have seen to date is in the RuneQuest supplement Lankhmar Unleashed.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 pm

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:05 am

Havard wrote:Yeah I am pretty sure the DCC Classics products will be for the DCC Classic RPG, even though Goodman Games have been making modules for other editions under the Dungeon Crawl Classics brand for years of course.
Thanks for the clarification. It seems like they have done a similar thing to Pathfinder (starting off with adventure material written for other people's rules and then adding their own rules).
Havard wrote:There was some discussion on RPG.net suggesting that the designers are considering making changes to the rules to better accomodate the Lankhmar setting. Not sure what that will mean specifically.
Do you have a link to the RPG.net discussion?
rabindranath72 wrote:The best treatment of Lankhmar sorcery I have seen to date is in the RuneQuest supplement Lankhmar Unleashed.
I would like to know more about that book. We don't have a topic about it yet, so I just created a Lankmar Unleashed topic (in the Other Worlds forum).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 am

Aaah. Would buy that one in a heartbeat. DCC, with a setting tightly tailored around it, an even better game.

Lankhmar, a Lankhmar box, certainly a great base - DCC's Known World is really interesting, but with 100++ supplements out for it, rather difficult for newbies.
Lankhmar, however, is almost nerdy folklore at this point, and certainly a pretty rewarding novel series to adapt for actual play.
"Rise, O artist, from thy slumbers - hasten from thy couch unworthy;
Forge from gold the Moon for Northland - forge anew the Sun from silver..."

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Le Noir Faineant wrote:Aaah. Would buy that one in a heartbeat. DCC, with a setting tightly tailored around it, an even better game.

Lankhmar, a Lankhmar box, certainly a great base - DCC's Known World is really interesting, but with 100++ supplements out for it, rather difficult for newbies.
Lankhmar, however, is almost nerdy folklore at this point, and certainly a pretty rewarding novel series to adapt for actual play.
The 3.x and 4E DCC modules really built upon the Known World but their newer DCC RPG stuff not so much. It takes place in the Known World but has little connection to it so they can be easily ported over to anywhere else.

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:26 am

Sure; still so, it's a matter of customer incentive: Sometimes, you just want the full product, not just a part of it.

That's why it's a wise choice by GGG to launch a few mothership titles, with the Judges Guild collections, and Lankhmar,
and have DCC take a seat in the back, again, as it used to be when the line started.

Lankhmar, or similar small-scale projects like Thieves' World, Dragon Age, etc. have the distinctive advantage that you really don't need a lot to play.
Especially with the self-contained DCC game, that's a pretty attractive combination. :)
"Rise, O artist, from thy slumbers - hasten from thy couch unworthy;
Forge from gold the Moon for Northland - forge anew the Sun from silver..."

Return to “Lankhmar”