Talislanta: Savage Lands update

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

Talislanta: Savage Lands update

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Stephan Michael Sechi posted an update about the forthcoming sequel to Talislanta in the private Talislanta group on Facebook. He just gave me permission to share that update at The Piazza:
Steve Sechi on Facebook wrote:Image
Talislanta Savage Land Update: Hi all- just wanted to drop in here with a quick update on TSL. What's new since last update: the cover for TSL is currently being painted by Italian artist, Mario Teodosio, and work is underway on the full-color Archetype illustrations, which are being done by artist David Arenas (see sample below). Jerry Grayson has been laying-out the Archetype and Bestiary sections of the book, a sample page from which will be posted in a future update. The book is going to look amazing. Orchestration on the soundtrack CD orchestration is about 1/4 complete, and the tracks sound great so far. Still working on another TSL-related project that I can't tell you about yet, but hopefully will be able to do so soon. :)
The only "bad news" so far, is that play-testing of the game system has been delayed, because John has been so busy with Blades in the Dark. We hope to get into that as soon as possible, and once that happens I'll post the info here. That's about it for now - hope you're enjoying your Summer. :)

It sounds like this product is going to have a similar structure to Dragon Kings.

You can see some of Mario Teodosio's art on deviantArt. David Arenas has a deviantArt page too.

RPG Geek has a list of the RPG products that Jerry Grayson has worked on.

Doug Bramlett, John Harper and Tony Herring have also been helping Stephan Michael Sechi work on the TSL manuscript (which is currently at what SMS is calling "2.0" stage). (Aside from Talislanta, Tony Herring would probably be best known to Piazza members for his work on Hollow World. :) )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Talislanta: Savage Lands update

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Doug Bramlett said that Dean Poisso Desi Conrad and Mark Williams are also involved.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby writermonk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Big day of news for the Savage Land project over on our Facebook group.

From SMS:
“The Savage Land RPG is in production, and is doing well despite some additional changes in personnel and logistics (explained below). The color painting for the book cover has been completed by Italian artist Mario Teodosio, and it looks amazing. Most of the 24 full-color archetype paintings, by artist David Arenas, have also been completed. Once those are done, David will start in on the full-color Bestiary illustrations.

“On the production side, work on the layout has begun, and we’re creating a new logo for TSL. We’re also just about ready to start on the color map of the Savage Land, which will be based on a detailed rough created by Mark Williams.

“We’re behind schedule on playtesting, but hope to get that going soon.

“Some weeks ago, John Harper had to drop out of the TSL project, due to the tremendous success of (and responsibilities entailed in) the Kickstarter campaign for his new game, Blades in the Dark.

“A couple of days later, Jerry Grayson also decided to drop out, as he was unable to devote as much time to TSL as we’d hoped due to his own (excellent) games and upcoming projects.

“Fortunately, just as John and Jerry left, a new publisher stepped in: Stewart Wieck, formerly of White Wolf Games, and now owner of Nocturnal Media. Stewart has been a Tal-fan since the mid-80s, and he published a number of reviews and articles about the original Talislanta game in White Wolf Magazine.

“Stewart quickly jumped in on the production side of things, and has been tremendously helpful with all the nuts and bolts publishing-stuff like scheduling artwork, planning the book’s layout, and creating a marketing and production plan for the game.

“In addition to the RPG, we’re also producing a webcomic based on the Talislanta: The Savage Land setting and game. I wrote the script for this story, which will run around 80 pages, and it will be illustrated by UK artist Ben Dennett. Called “Tales of the Savage Land”, the comic will be available by subscription at DriveThruComics.com.”

So, there you have it! News on the advancement of TSL and an announcement of a new Talislanta webcomic!

How cool is that?
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby writermonk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:12 am

http://www.nocturnal-media.com/blog/2015/10/16/announcing-talislanta-the-savage-land
ANNOUNCING TALISLANTA: THE SAVAGE LAND
October 16, 2015
STILL “NO ELVES” IN THE NEW TALISLANTA ROLEPLAYING GAME

HOUSTON, Texas - October 2, 2015 - Nocturnal Media today introduced Talislanta: The Savage Land (TSL), a new vision for the classic Talislanta Roleplaying Game. The first version of the Talislanta RPG debuted in 1986. It was known for its non-traditional fantasy setting, which featured hundreds of unusual races, creatures, and archetypes, and for a series of ads that ran under the headline, “No Elves”.

“TSL is a project that I’ve wanted to do for many years,” said Stephan Michael Sechi, creator of Talislanta, “but probably wouldn’t have ever gotten around to doing it if it hadn’t been for John Harper and Jerry Grayson — two terrific game designers who, after I described it as ‘Talislanta on steroids and acid’, told me that they thought it was a cool idea. TSL is set in an earlier era in Talislanta’s history: a post-apocalyptic ‘dark ages’ hinted at in several of the old Talislanta books, but never really explored until now.“

Preferring to concentrate on the creative work of building the prequel to his famous game world, Stephan opted to seek a publishing partner instead of self-publishing the roleplaying game as he did the original Talislanta. He chose Nocturnal Media, operated by award-winning game designer and publisher Stewart Wieck, founder of White Wolf Publisher and co-creator of roleplaying games such as Vampire: The Masquerade and Mage: The Ascension.

“My first company White Wolf also dates to 1986 with the first issue of White Wolf Magazine,” said Stewart Wieck, publisher at Nocturnal Media. “In those years of covering games beyond the industry-leading Dungeons & Dragons, Talislanta stood out as a great achievement. We featured Talislanta in several issues and on the cover of one issue too. I’m very excited to now have the opportunity to work with Steve creating a Talislanta-prequel.”

Talislanta: The Savage Land is the first all-new Talislanta game book to be produced in almost thirty years. Where the first Talislanta game was set many centuries after a cataclysm known as The Great Disaster, TSL takes place just a few years after this catastrophe, which the inhabitants of this era refer to as The Fall. In this post-apocalyptic fantasy setting, the great civilization of the Archaens is no more. The last kingdoms have fallen, and the sorcerer-kings have fled or been killed by their own creations. With them went all knowledge of spell-casting, leaving only primitive rituals and superstitions. In this milieu, Talislanta is truly a savage and dangerous land, ruled by wild tribes and beast-folk consumed by the constant struggle to survive.

The game world still has “no elves”, but rather features a host of unique races such as the Drakken, massive reptilian humanoids whose ancestors once ruled the entire continent of Talislanta, and the Talosians, intelligent automatons created by the technomancers of old Archaeus. Each of these so-called archetypes forms the basis for player characters and each is presented in a painting by talented Spanish illustrator David Arenas.

“TSL is an action-packed RPG that is easy to learn and play,” explained Stephan Michael Sechi. “Like the original Talislanta, it’s a total departure from traditional fantasy RPGs. You can play any of 24 Savage Land archetypes, such as Vandar Warriors, Shaka Hunters, Kasiran Seers, Warlok Assassins, and Drakken Warrior-Poet. Or use the simple Mass Action Table rules, and become chieftain of your own tribe, conquer other lands, build or demolish strongholds, and maybe even become a legend. These are just a few of the possibilities in Talislanta: The Savage Land.”

In addition to the RPG is a webcomic based on the Talislanta: The Savage Land written by Stephan Michael Sechi and illustrated by UK artist Ben Dennett. Called "Tales of the Savage Land", the comic will be available by subscription at DriveThruComics.com.

The first installment of this saga tells the story of Severus, a living relic from the past who may be the last of a legendary race of hybrid-warriors known as the Vandar. Discovered and taken captive by Golgoth slavers, the newly-awakened Severus finds himself in a strange and hostile post-apocalyptic world in which only the strongest can hope to survive.

“Talislanta’s rich setting inspired me when I was a young artist delving into worlds of fantasy,” said illustrator Ben Dennett. “And while my work like concept art for wands and magical artifacts in Harry and the Goblet of Fire is a far cry from the post-apocalyptic world of TSL, I am honored and pleased to play a part in telling the tales of the history of the Savage Land.”

Talislanta: The Savage Land is scheduled for Summer 2016 and “Tales of the Savage Land” will launch on DriveThruComics.com in December 2015. Both the RPG and webcomic will seek funding as Kickstarter projects. Dates for these campaigns will be announced in coming months.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Return to The Wishing Well