WotC Forums Shutting down

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

WotC Forums Shutting down

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:06 pm

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/wizards-coast-community-forums-be-shut-down

Wizards.com wrote:The shutdown will occur on October 29, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. PT. We want to provide enough time for our forum members to move their content, and we recognize that given our forum's vibrant user base and extensive history, this may take time. Any information still on the forums on the cut-off date will be deleted.

This is pretty sad news. Time to save as much information as we can before the forums there are deleted?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: WotC Forums Shutting down

Postby Canageek » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Damn. There has been some really cool stuff on those forums over the years, though the fact they deleted everything off them every few years means a lot of it is already gone.
Canageek
Hobgoblin

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:58 pm

I think this means the "commoner campaign" will be lost forever :(
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby night_druid » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Ashtagon wrote:I think this means the "commoner campaign" will be lost forever :(

Opportunity to launch a new Commoner campaign here on the Piazza? Maybe one set in Spelljammer, to make BigMac happy...;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby NPCDave » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:21 pm

I definitely think we should save what is worth saving, the problem is, I have no idea what that is.

People are talking about 4E Charop Gen stuff that is worth saving, is that custom 4E classes or popular builds of 4E classes using the rules?

What is this commoner campaign?

Is anything for old TSR campaign settings on there?
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:35 pm

The Piazza is making an open invitation to all Dungeons & Dragons fans at the Wizards of the Coast forums. If you have friends there, please pass on the invite.

Canageek wrote:Damn. There has been some really cool stuff on those forums over the years, though the fact they deleted everything off them every few years means a lot of it is already gone.

It is not going to be easy to save everything. I've posted a topic called Please archive your content at the Eberron forum at The Piazza in the hope that some of the Eberron fans there will come over to help copy and paste some of that content.

Ashtagon wrote:I think this means the "commoner campaign" will be lost forever :(

;(

There are some documents elsewhere, but it would be really hard to archive that uber-topic.

night_druid wrote:

Opportunity to launch a new Commoner campaign here on the Piazza? Maybe one set in Spelljammer, to make BigMac happy...;)

Are you suggesting that I go visit Ashtagon and run one-PC adventures with her? ;)

NPCDave wrote:I definitely think we should save what is worth saving, the problem is, I have no idea what that is.

People are talking about 4E Charop Gen stuff that is worth saving, is that custom 4E classes or popular builds of 4E classes using the rules?

What is this commoner campaign?

I think the best thing to do right now, is get the word out there, and make sure as many people as possible know that content relating to the setting or rules system that they like is at risk.

There just is not time to save everything, but if people from specific sub-communities at WotC sign up and start crossposting important stuff here, that will mean that the people who are already here can save other stuff.

It might be worth starting topics in specific forums, to help anyone who wants to save topics to co-ordinate their work. Then anyone with a specific interest can focus on the areas of the WotC forums that they know best.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Thorf » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:36 am

I don't know if it still works, but I created an index of Mystara threads that might be useful for this. It's posted in the Mystara forum, but it was many years ago, so it will likely take some digging to find it now.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby RobJN » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:57 am

Have any of the admins/mods approached WotC via their social media outlets (Faceborg, Tweeter) to promote archiving stuff here at the Piazza?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby agathokles » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:32 pm

NPCDave wrote:People are talking about 4E Charop Gen stuff that is worth saving, is that custom 4E classes or popular builds of 4E classes using the rules?

AFAIK, "Charop" is the character optimization forum -- they produced very detailed guides to creating highly optimized characters (for maximum average damage per round, highest defenses, etc) within the rules. There were also a number of specific builds, once more usually with specific optimization goals.

I think Shawn has collected everything from Mystara. For the other settings, I wouldn't know.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:56 am

Thorf wrote:I don't know if it still works, but I created an index of Mystara threads that might be useful for this. It's posted in the Mystara forum, but it was many years ago, so it will likely take some digging to find it now.

A forum search limited to the Mystara forum and your user account might cut things down a bit. :)

PRE-POST EDIT: I think this is it: [Archives] Wizards Mystara Message Board Threads (A-Z).

The links are broken, but if someone copies and pastes the WotC topic titles into their search system, that should hopefully work.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:08 pm

On a related note, Athas.org just announced that they will be reopening their old Arena forums.

I wonder if similar things will happen elsewhere on the web?

I see alot of new people have been signining up to The Piazza over the last few days as well. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Let's make those new users feel welcome.

I am going through a bit to see what I want to save, and there is some good stuff there. In fact my short article in Threshold Magazine #8 came about because of an idea I posted years previously on the WotC boards which I then completely forgot about...until searching for something else made me stumble across that particular post of mine.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:03 pm

That's a great move. I was sorry to see Arena get shut down. Obviously I want to see the Dark Sun forum at The Piazza thrive, but fans should have choices.

Havard wrote:I wonder if similar things will happen elsewhere on the web?

They might do, but there is a deadline for getting things off, so if anyone wants to help save WotC forum content, they need to start moving it now - not wait for new forums to get set up.

Havard wrote:I see alot of new people have been signining up to The Piazza over the last few days as well. :)

It's great to see people joining. Its sad that it is not under better circumstances tough.

NPCDave wrote:Let's make those new users feel welcome.

We certainly should do that. :)

They have just been booted out of WotC and might not know how The Piazza is organised and might also struggle with how to do a few things with the phpBB software that The Piazza uses. We should expect some newbie questions about posting or setting up forum avatars or forum signatures.

NPCDave wrote:I am going through a bit to see what I want to save, and there is some good stuff there. In fact my short article in Threshold Magazine #8 came about because of an idea I posted years previously on the WotC boards which I then completely forgot about...until searching for something else made me stumble across that particular post of mine.

Great. I've started to put together a list of WotC forums that need content archived from them, that match up with Piazza forums, within my post making an open call for D&D fans to help save content.

I am making pairs of posts (one at WotC and another here) to try to make it easier for people to see that those forums are about to be deleted...and see how they can use The Piazza to "save their stuff").

I don't know what forum you are saving stuff from, but perhaps you could jump aboard one of my Piazza stickies (and/or the post at WotC) to see if you can coordinate with anyone else trying to save content from the same part of WotC.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby shesheyan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:55 pm

The Gleemax d20 Modern sub-forums were a fun and civilized place to be but with the advent of 4E the forum was reduced to a single page... haven't been there in a long time.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:24 pm

shesheyan wrote:The Gleemax d20 Modern sub-forums were a fun and civilized place to be but with the advent of 4E the forum was reduced to a single page... haven't been there in a long time.

If you check out my Please archive content from the forums at WotC! post, you will see that I've not gotten around to inviting/asking the d20 Modern fans to start moving their topics over here yet. But if you are a fan of the stuff that WotC had there, it would be awesome if you could start moving some of it here, so that people could continue here, where the topics left off back there. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby shesheyan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:09 pm

The forums are still live...
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby willpell » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:03 pm

shesheyan wrote:The forums are still live...

They're scheduled to die for real on Thursday.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby willpell » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:38 am

And, my final rescue effort was cut short by one hour, due to my failure to empty my backup disk in order to retain room. Who would have thought that I could fill close to seven gigs almost entirely with threads from the moribund forum? And even at that, I haven't gotten close to finding everything worthy of salvage. I must simply hope that others have done their part, and that the things I will someday wish I had saved will have turned up somewhere else.

From now on, this place is all I have left....
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:28 am

willpell wrote:And, my final rescue effort was cut short by one hour, due to my failure to empty my backup disk in order to retain room. Who would have thought that I could fill close to seven gigs almost entirely with threads from the moribund forum? And even at that, I haven't gotten close to finding everything worthy of salvage. I must simply hope that others have done their part, and that the things I will someday wish I had saved will have turned up somewhere else.

We all did what we could do Willpell. Some of us were fortunate enough to be able to do more than others. Some of us could just spread the word. Some of us didn't have any spare time. I'm grateful for anyone who tried, regardless of how successful they were.

We probably missed some stuff, but we have to let it go.

willpell wrote:From now on, this place is all I have left....

...and you can help this place grow and become more than the WotC forums ever were.

There are less people here in total than there was at the WotC forums, but we have a lot more openness to niche communities here. I've found the freedom at The Piazza to talk to fans I never got to talk to before (because of things like the Edition War nonsense getting in the way of a good exchange of views). I've watched the campaign forum area expand from a handful of D&D worlds to so many that they don't fit on my screen without scrolling any more.

If you let some of your friends know this place is here, welcome newcomers and help people discuss minority campaign settings in Other Worlds and minoirity rules systems in the Crunchy Bits forum, you can watch the forum grow into a bigger and bigger place before your very eyes.

So I'm sad to see the place where I met some of my best online friends go away, but I've met so many cool people at The Piazza, that I'm looking forward with hope.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Giant Space Hamster » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:38 am

Wizards of the Coast have just deleted their forums. Here is a copy of their announcement:

On behalf of The Piazza, thank you to everyone who archived content, both here and elsewhere, to save it from deletion. If anyone has private archives, that they have not uploaded to their own site, we would be very interested in talking to you about how to make those publicly accessible (to all D&D fans - not just people with accounts here).

We would also like to thank the various forum staff members at the WotC forums, who helped build the community that migrated over here back in 2008. The Piazza is still here, supporting all D&D worlds and systems (both old and new). But we would not have been here if it wasn't for the community building that once happened back at the WotC forums.

Please let your friends know that the community that split off from the WotC forums back in 2008, is still extending its open invitation for former WotC members to come and join the rest of us.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.
Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:18 pm

willpell wrote:And, my final rescue effort was cut short by one hour, due to my failure to empty my backup disk in order to retain room. Who would have thought that I could fill close to seven gigs almost entirely with threads from the moribund forum? And even at that, I haven't gotten close to finding everything worthy of salvage. I must simply hope that others have done their part, and that the things I will someday wish I had saved will have turned up somewhere else.

From now on, this place is all I have left....

It was sad day I agree. But at least we do have this place. Let us make sure The Piazza remains the friendly haven for Gaming World fans that it has been since Ashtagon set it up for us back in 2008 :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby willpell » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:We probably missed some stuff, but we have to let it go.

Or we could fester with retributive hatred and spend the next half decade nursing a grudge at the injustice that was perpetrated against us, seething with a primordial need to avenge the slight, simmering in powerless rage, until eventually we get distracted and forget. I'll probably do that second one.
willpell
White Dragon

Return to The Wishing Well