Please archive content from the forums at WotC!

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Please archive content from the forums at WotC!

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:06 pm

willpell wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
willpell wrote:Does anyone on this board care enough about Magic to take care of those forums in this way?
I would strongly advise you to get in touch with M:tG communities as soon as possible. There are only 15 days left. You could perhaps act as a middleman, helping them to get a copy of Ender's app, but don't wait for him. If he gets into technical difficulties and runs out of time, they might not have time to come up with their own solution. The sooner you can get the word out, the more chance there is that a M:tG fan can come up with an automated solution to save their content and get it hosted on a M:tG or CCG fansite.
Any chance that you can link me to your portal into that site? I doubt I can ever find it again. By "portal", I mean wherever you first posted the "please come join us" ad (if you posted more than one, please link me to all of them, or as many as you can find - my Google-Fu would be terrible even if the Wotco boards had a functional internal search or could be effectively reached by Google advance searching, neither of which is true). I saw such an ad once, and that is how I am here; the page is the best possible rendezvous site thereon, but I will probably never find it, unless someone, most likely you as the creator of it, know exactly where it is.
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

I have not posted anything suggesting that Magic: the Gathering fans come to The Piazza as this forum was founded to support Dungeons & Dragons fans.

If you want to find Magic: the Gathering fans to help save M:tG content just look for "Magic the Gathering forum" on Google.

Good luck.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
To clarify:
willpell wrote:By "portal", I mean wherever you first posted the "please come join us" ad.
Was in reference to what you posted in the D&D section of the Wizards forums. Do you have that link?

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:56 pm

Good news!

We worked out some bugs in the program and it works! I have a full capture of the Eberron subforum as of an hour ago. If anything gets posted after that, I'll have to get another capture of it. Altogether, it takes up about 50MB for 115 pages of threads and ran for an hour before completing. Not bad. I'll see if we can modify it to get the other forums as well, though they may take longer.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:00 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:Good news!

We worked out some bugs in the program and it works! I have a full capture of the Eberron subforum as of an hour ago. If anything gets posted after that, I'll have to get another capture of it. Altogether, it takes up about 50MB for 115 pages of threads and ran for an hour before completing. Not bad. I'll see if we can modify it to get the other forums as well, though they may take longer.
Wow, that is great! It would be fantastic if you are able to get the rest as well. :) We don't have that many days left now...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:16 am

That is great news, enderxenocide0! Well done!

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:23 pm

I am thankful. I hope you are able to get enough copies of the program running on enough computers that you can salvage the entire Community (including groups and wikis and such), but of course it's a long shot. I also hope whoever's job it is to press the killswitch on 10/29 comes down with the stomach flu and gives you a few extra days.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:48 pm

willpell wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
To clarify:
willpell wrote:By "portal", I mean wherever you first posted the "please come join us" ad.
Was in reference to what you posted in the D&D section of the Wizards forums. Do you have that link?
I posted in a number of different places, asking people to archive specific content in a specific part of The Piazza.

I didn't post in any place relating to Magic: the Gathering, as I figured that somebody who was on a M:tG forum would be taking care of that. I'm not sure how reading a post inviting people to archive something like Birthright topics would help you to find M:tG fans. :?

You are running out of time if you want to attempt to organise a rescue of that content.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:50 pm

willpell wrote:(including groups and wikis and such)
The wikis were already deleted a while ago, without any notice. The Nentir Vale wiki used to be especially useful. :(

I think the groups are still there, but they are not connected directly to the forums. Saving them would require experimentation. Actually finding all the URLs of the useful groups might take more time than is needed to save them.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:17 pm

I have given up on any hope of saving content other than that which I personally posted upon, and not much of that. There are tragic losses, but I'll see if I can ever get around to sharing a few of the gems which I did manage to salvage (such as Oakspar777's epic 44-page "Lessons learned from DMing for my GF"). I only hope others have done the same, and that not too much of the creme de la creme gets missed.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:33 am

willpell wrote:I have given up on any hope of saving content other than that which I personally posted upon, and not much of that. There are tragic losses, but I'll see if I can ever get around to sharing a few of the gems which I did manage to salvage (such as Oakspar777's epic 44-page "Lessons learned from DMing for my GF"). I only hope others have done the same, and that not too much of the creme de la creme gets missed.
Okay, *now* my frantic efforts are at their end. The axe falls tomorrow at about noon my time; I'll be at work then, and while there's potentially as much as a half hour left before my Library Internet session ends for tonight, I've officially run out of ideas for what I can Google to try and locate whichever of my 4000+ posts I haven't already salvaged. (Not that I only care about saving my stuff, but lacking a better "shopping list" for stuff deserving salvation, I had to settle.) Whatever remains lost somewhere on that site, possibly including my definitive answer to "what's the deal with chimeras, like seriously", it is as thoroughly lost as everything posted there prior to 2007. I have done everything I could do and more. There is nothing left to do but curse the names of our fickle and faithless WotCoverlords, who built their empire on our backs, played our passions like a fiddle, and strung us along for decades while we suffered their incompetence, only to finally abandon us with barely a moment's warning. May their fortunes wither in punishment for their deeds.

Onward to happier subjects. Now that I'm free of that millstone, expect to see more Whiteleaf and WOD stuff from me in the near future.

EDIT - Actually I spoke too soon. It seems they've pushed the date for killing the forum back ONE WEEK. They still intend to kill it, and this is clearly no proof that they're any less bastards than they were; it probably just means that the person whose job it is to pull the plug took a week's vacation. Regardless, I'll now be spending whatever time I can spare trying to salvage just a few more things, before the end finally arrives.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Awesome news. I also read on the Eberron forums you will be migrating over to the Eberron section of The Piazza. I look forward to a full community from the campaign settings section coming over to the Piazza.

I think the discussions of the Settings section are worth saving and the ones that have the least attention on being migrated over to other forums. The rules, gaming, DMing, and optimization threads seem to be more popular over at EnWorld.

If there is anything I can help, let me know. I have a spare computer and hard drive space, and I'm off for the next few days. With the deadline pushed back to November 5th (did I read that right?), we just might be able to grab sizable chunks of the forums.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:49 am

I am currently working on manually salvaging the posts of Wrecan and the discussions in the Astrid's Parlor section. Not because these are necessarily the best places to work, but because they were what I could think of. My work will not be complete, I suspect - I won't even try to get most of the 4E stuff by Wrecan, for instance, since I don't play it. And my definition of which Astrid's stuff meets "notability" criteria will be thoroughly informed by my non-female, non-feminist nature (there are certainly interesting conversations aplenty, and I'm fine with people representing ideas I don't agree with, if they do it in an articulate and interesting fashion - but many feminists, in my personal experience, do not live up to this standard). So I would encourage others to target these sectors as well, and I also solicit any further suggestions on similar notables to work on, during the remaining 10-15 hours I will have to do it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:10 pm

That's great news.

I have a Facebook friend trying to do the same thing too.

If we can find a way to convert some of these grabbed topics back into forum topics at The Piazza, that would make them searchable. (I've done about 20 percent of the archiving of the Spelljammer forum...manually...but got caught up with real-life problems and didn't get past that. I'm going to try to carry on with that. If people can get archives, they can continue to copy and past after the deadline.)

In theory - and I say in theory, because it could be a very big job - I could use my Junior Admin account to "give back" individual posts. I don't know what how much time that would take, so I would give priority to working topics, where people do things like edit posts to add in extra information.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Wizards of the Coast have just deleted their forums. Here is a copy of their announcement:

On behalf of The Piazza, thank you to everyone who archived content, both here and elsewhere, to save it from deletion. If anyone has private archives, that they have not uploaded to their own site, we would be very interested in talking to you about how to make those publicly accessible (to all D&D fans - not just people with accounts here).

We would also like to thank the various forum staff members at the WotC forums, who helped build the community that migrated over here back in 2008. The Piazza is still here, supporting all D&D worlds and systems (both old and new). But we would not have been here if it wasn't for the community building that once happened back at the WotC forums.

Please let your friends know that the community that split off from the WotC forums back in 2008, is still extending its open invitation for former WotC members to come and join the rest of us.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Wishing Well”