Print on Demand book on D&D Classics!

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Would you buy out of print D&D books in Print on Demand format?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 15

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Print on Demand book on D&D Classics!

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:55 am

I'm not sure if this is an indication of things to come, but the copy of Elemental Evil Player’s Companion on D&D Classics, is available on Print on Demand as well as PDF! :o :shock: :| :) :D :mrgreen:

Here are the options they have:
  • PDF £0.00
  • Softcover Color Book (Premium) £6.61
  • Softcover Color Book (Standard) £5.29
  • PDF + Softcover Color Book (Premium) £6.61
I'm not so much interested in this specific book (although it might be good to have - I've nothing against it) but I've been wanting D&D Classics to put out Print on Demand books for ages, and I'm not the only one, and here is one that they sneaked out without me noticing!

Here is what they say about the two types of format:
D&D Classics wrote:Note on the Print Editions: Standard Color uses a thinner paper stock than Premium Color. This usually means the colors are much less vivid, but it also means the price drops a bit per page in the production process.

Examples of pages: Premium Color vs. Standard Color.
They also gave this answer, in the comments, when asked for more details on the format:
D&D Classics wrote:Premium color version should come saddle-stitched.
Standard color version should come perfect-bound.
The PDF is free, so if you want to see what a PoD D&D book might look like, I would encourage you to get the free PDF first, and then decide if you want to go back and buy the "Standard" or "Premium" version.

I can not see any sort of press release about this book, so I'll probably need to approach DriveThru RPG and/or Wizards of the Coasts to see what else they might be putting up.

But assuming that D&D Classics was to convert more of their range to Print on Demand, what books would everyone like to see published in PoD format the most?
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Print on Demand book on D&D Classics!

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:But assuming that D&D Classics was to convert more of their range to Print on Demand, what books would everyone like to see published in PoD format the most?
The (Mystara) Gazetteers. Would love to see a reprint of those. And the Rules Cyclopedia. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:42 pm

I've added a poll. And I voted "Yes". :)
Big Mac wrote:But assuming that D&D Classics was to convert more of their range to Print on Demand, what books would everyone like to see published in PoD format the most?
To answer my own question, I would be most interested in buying things that could support a Spelljammer campaign in the Known Spheres.

I am interested in "primary" Spelljammer sources, "secondary" Spelljammer sources and then other products that are in ranges for planets that have a Spelljammer tie-in, in that order.

I've got almost all of the Spelljammer products now, but might be tempted to buy boxed sets converted into hardbacks.

I want to expand Greyspace (the Greyhawk crystal sphere), Krynnspace (the Dragonlance crystal sphere) and Realmspace (the Forgotten Realms crystal sphere). There are quite a few books that namecheck Spelljammer stuff, and I want to get them all, but I also want enough books to give me a good idea of how the regions of each of these three worlds work. (And that also applies to the sub-settings located on Oerth, Krynn and Toril.

Planescape has some crossover stuff with Spelljammer, and even Mystara has a couple of things that crossover. But I think that PoD products for Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms could keep me busy saving up to buy things for a couple of years.
Havard wrote:
The (Mystara) Gazetteers. Would love to see a reprint of those. And the Rules Cyclopedia. :)
Don't you have a full set of those already? Would you actually buy PoD versions of books you already have? :?:

I would probably buy a full set of the Mystara Gazeteers in PoD as I'm sure that D&D Classics could undercut the prices that theeBay bandits charge.

But, as a 3e fan, I'd need some convincing that there was content in the Rules Cyclopedia (or any other set of D&D core rules) that could improve me 3e game.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've added a poll. And I voted "Yes". :)

Me too! :)

Havard wrote:
Don't you have a full set of those already? Would you actually buy PoD versions of books you already have? :?:
Some of my gazetteers are really well worn due to heavy use by myself and my players. I would love to have a pristine set. The original Gazetteers came with loose cover jackets (or whatever you call those things) and I think it would be interesting if those were to be turned into regular booklets.

I have two copies of the Rules Cyclopedia (one signed by Frank Mentzer! :cool: ), but would pick up another one for sure.

I would probably buy a full set of the Mystara Gazeteers in PoD as I'm sure that D&D Classics could undercut the prices that theeBay bandits charge.

But, as a 3e fan, I'd need some convincing that there was content in the Rules Cyclopedia (or any other set of D&D core rules) that could improve me 3e game.
Not sure I could convince you of that. I own every edition of D&D there was.
OTOH, there is material in there that isn't necessarily edition specific, such as the mini-gazetteer section at the end for the Known World and the Hollow World, a couple of artifacts, Encounter tables that could be considered Mystara-specific etc.

Furthermore, you could probably use the War Machine (Mass Combat Rules) and Dominion Rules systems and use them as is with most editions of D&D. I havent really seen any edition do Dominion Rules like BECMI did.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:
Some of my gazetteers are really well worn due to heavy use by myself and my players. I would love to have a pristine set. The original Gazetteers came with loose cover jackets (or whatever you call those things) and I think it would be interesting if those were to be turned into regular booklets.

I have two copies of the Rules Cyclopedia (one signed by Frank Mentzer! :cool: ), but would pick up another one for sure.
If DriveThru RPG made some out of print products available as PoD versions, it would be interesting to know how many people would be buying things they already own.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I would probably buy a full set of the Mystara Gazeteers in PoD as I'm sure that D&D Classics could undercut the prices that theeBay bandits charge.

Not sure I could convince you of that. I own every edition of D&D there was.
OTOH, there is material in there that isn't necessarily edition specific, such as the mini-gazetteer section at the end for the Known World and the Hollow World, a couple of artifacts, Encounter tables that could be considered Mystara-specific etc.

Furthermore, you could probably use the War Machine (Mass Combat Rules) and Dominion Rules systems and use them as is with most editions of D&D. I havent really seen any edition do Dominion Rules like BECMI did.
I might start a topic (over in the Classic D&D forum) to ask more details about the non-Classic specific things in the RC.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:18 am

It would be beyond awesome to get some of the older material that is ridiculous expensive on the secondhand market back into the hands of people that want a physical copy without the premium cost.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:13 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:It would be beyond awesome to get some of the older material that is ridiculous expensive on the secondhand market back into the hands of people that want a physical copy without the premium cost.
It certainly would.

And if WotC had any concerns about the cost of reformatting the electronic files to make them work...or if additional fees need to be paid to the original authors, I would certainly consider supporting a Kickstarter campaign, where I essentially would be paying in advance for a PoD version of a specific product.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:It would be beyond awesome to get some of the older material that is ridiculous expensive on the secondhand market back into the hands of people that want a physical copy without the premium cost.
It certainly would.

And if WotC had any concerns about the cost of reformatting the electronic files to make them work...or if additional fees need to be paid to the original authors, I would certainly consider supporting a Kickstarter campaign, where I essentially would be paying in advance for a PoD version of a specific product.
After a certain point, I think Dragon and Dungeon both started buying all rights to the work, rather than just first serial (they learned their lesson with the Archive CD), so it'd be considered "work for hire," like their books, modules, rulebooks, etc.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Return to “The Wishing Well”