[Pathfinder] Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Pathfinder] Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

Post by Havard » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Anyone else hear about this?

Sandy Peterson (Call of Cthulhu) is writing a new Lovecraft based game for the Pathfinder system called Cthulhu Mythos. A Kickstarter will be launching soon.

Oh, and if you want a glow in the dark Elder Thing figurine, you can sign up now:

https://gleam.io/zaaCe/sign-up-and-earn ... lder-thing

Edit: Kickstarter is now up! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... pathfinder?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: [Pathfinder] Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:22 pm

d20 was already proven to be a poor match for the Cthulhu Mythos when they put out the Call of Cthulhu d20 game. So I'm not optimistic here.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:40 pm

It depends on the goals. CoC with d20 doesn't work. Cthulhu & the like in a D&D campaign, OTOH, are easy to fit, as shown in Freeport, for instance.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:37 pm

Kickstarter is now up so you can see for yourself what this is about: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... pathfinder

:)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:03 am

I'm enough of a Lovecraft junkie and Pathfinder fan that I'm considering backing it. I probably would have immediately if my current Freeport campaign wasn't winding down...
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Havard wrote:Kickstarter is now up so you can see for yourself what this is about: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... pathfinder
It's a Cthulhu Mythos bestiary for Pathfinder, plus miniatures. Not bad, although personally I don't use miniatures and I've only been looking at Pathfinder very recently.

GP

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:36 am

agathokles wrote:It's a Cthulhu Mythos bestiary for Pathfinder, plus miniatures. Not bad, although personally I don't use miniatures and I've only been looking at Pathfinder very recently.
The lowest reward levels let you get the book (PDF, or PDF + physical book) without any miniatures. That's the level I'll be backing at, if I do so.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Interesting stuff; it reminds me of d20 CoC.
willpell wrote:d20 was already proven to be a poor match for the Cthulhu Mythos when they put out the Call of Cthulhu d20 game. So I'm not optimistic here.
"Proven" by who, exactly?
Actually I had (and am having) very good experience with d20 CoC. Just stop character advancement at 5th or 6th level (which roughly corresponds to 100% in skills, using the conversion guidelines) for the grittiest experience. Although 1st and 2nd level characters in d20 CoC are even more fragile than BRP ones, so the game is even deadlier. Plus, the fact that skills are tied to ability scores means that playing the game with newbies is easier as they are not overwhelmed with the tens of skills in CoC (which are also divorced from attribute scores). d20 CoC also does pulp quite well with the option of increasing AC with level.
Finally, the interface provided with D&D 3e is excellent; I have used both d20 CoC as an expansion for D&D for grittier games, and as a fantasy game with bits from 3e in a Freeport campaign that is still going on. Excellent in both cases.
So...I'll probably skip this Pathfinder offering as I don't play Pathfinder, and d20 CoC covers more or less the same (and then some) ground.
I hope they do something similar for 5e; I'd get definitely get it.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am

willpell wrote:d20 was already proven to be a poor match for the Cthulhu Mythos when they put out the Call of Cthulhu d20 game. So I'm not optimistic here.
The Cthulhu Mythos has already been heavily integrated in the Pathfinder Campaign Setting (Golarion) and it has been pulled off very well. I suggest doing some research before panning something that you are not familiar with.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm

It's easy enough to integrate the Cthulhu bestiary into D&D. That's roughly what happened with mind flayers once the serial numbers got stripped away, and there's a fair amount of superficial similarity between lizardmen and deep ones. Plus a large number of aberrations would be right at home in the mythos. However, what makes Call of Cthulhu as a campaign setting special is the idea that you aren't an enemy to the big bads -- you're irrelevant to them. The horror of Cthulhu mythos isn't the jump scare or the realisation that you might die fighting this beastie. It's the dawning realisation that nothing you can ever achieve will matter. The "zero-to-hero" paradigm of level-based systems doesn't do that well, as there is a certain amount of cognitive dissonance involved in levelling up but not getting more powerful.

The old WotC CoC book ultimately failed to convey the mythos appropriately. It's possible this new PF book may do it, but I'm not holding my breath, because the basic concept of level-based systems is at odds with what the mythos is all about. That's not to say you can't integrate aspects of it, but it's like comparing Bram Stoker's Dracula to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Same monster list, but ultimately different genres entirely.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Just pre-ordered mine. Was hoping to get the limited edition version, but for whatever reason the shop at petersongames.com won't accept my prepaid VISA. So I paid with it over at Paizo for the non-collector's edition.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:12 am

Ashtagon wrote:there's a fair amount of superficial similarity between lizardmen and deep ones.
The Deep One equivalent isn't the lizardmen, it's the Kuo-Toa.
The "zero-to-hero" paradigm of level-based systems doesn't do that well, as there is a certain amount of cognitive dissonance involved in levelling up but not getting more powerful.
You can get more powerful while still remaining irrelevant to the Great Old Ones. Enjoy being level 20, when Cthulhu is effectively level 99 (and Azathoth is infinite, and Nyarlathotep is 99 characters of various levels).
That's not to say you can't integrate aspects of it, but it's like comparing Bram Stoker's Dracula to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Same monster list, but ultimately different genres entirely.
That's a good analogy.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:36 am

willpell wrote:You can get more powerful while still remaining irrelevant to the Great Old Ones. Enjoy being level 20, when Cthulhu is effectively level 99 (and Azathoth is infinite, and Nyarlathotep is 99 characters of various levels).
There's a piece of art in the "D&D Appendix" of the Call of Cthulhu d20 book that depicts Cthulhu battling some of the D&D 3E iconics. Wizards later revealed on their website that the piece was based on something they did in playtesting: They had a party of 20th-level iconics battle Cthulhu (who was CR 34 in the final draft), and each time a character died, that player brought in a fresh 20th-level character the next round. IIRC, they eventually got lucky enough to get off a wish that banished the Great Old One, at least temporarily. They counted it as a draw. :twisted:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 pm

timemrick wrote:There's a piece of art in the "D&D Appendix" of the Call of Cthulhu d20 book that depicts Cthulhu battling some of the D&D 3E iconics. Wizards later revealed on their website that the piece was based on something they did in playtesting: They had a party of 20th-level iconics battle Cthulhu (who was CR 34 in the final draft), and each time a character died, that player brought in a fresh 20th-level character the next round. IIRC, they eventually got lucky enough to get off a wish that banished the Great Old One, at least temporarily. They counted it as a draw. :twisted:
That is awesome! I'd love to GM a one-off pvp grudge match with the players taking on the roles of monsters in the King Kong & Godzilla universes.

Return to “The Wishing Well”