[My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic] Official RPG Announced

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

[My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic] Official RPG Announced

Postby Alzrius » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:58 pm

A few weeks ago, it was quietly announced that an official RPG based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic would be released in 2016, titled Tails of Equestria (and no, that's not a typo). Tails of Equestria will be produced by European game company River Horse (of course), and the game has its own page over on Facebook.

There's an interview with some River Horse staff in a video at that first link posted above, with the section relevant to Tails of Equestria starting just before the 42:00-mark, and lasting about a half-hour. Several details about the game are given, which I've summarized below:

• The RPG will be released as a hardcover book, not a boxed set.
  • It will not make use of miniatures (that is, this won't require miniatures to play).
  • The character sheets will be for earth ponies, unicorns, pegasi, and "draw your own." Each character sheet will have a space to draw a picture of your character (the three pony races will have a basic image to embellish, and the "draw your own" will have a blank space), as well as a second space to draw your cutie mark.
  • Characters will have the option of starting as a pony that's already obtained their cutie mark, or as a blank flank and discovering their cutie mark during the course of the game.
  • "Nobody can start as an alicorn."
  • Characters will have three stats: Body, Mind, and Charm.
  • As part of character creation, you have a d4 and a d6; you pick which of these are associated with your Body and Mind stats (they didn't say what determines Charm).
  • There's no "class" for characters; what you are is determined by your race and your special talent.
  • Your level of talent is determined by the size of the die you roll. An ordinary unicorn has a d6 for Telekinesis; Twilight Sparkle is described as having "a d12 or d20."
  • Similarly, pegasi automatically receive a d6 in the Fly talent, while earth ponies automatically have their Body die increased to the next die size.
  • Each character chooses a personal talent, as well as a personal flaw.
  • Your Body stat will determine your Stamina points, which are the game's version of hit points.
  • Making an action that's opposed by another creature (e.g. hoof-wrestling) is determined by opposed rolls. Trying to accomplish a task against a situation (e.g. kick down a door) is made by rolling to equal or exceed a target number.
  • The game uses an "exploding dice" mechanic. More specifically, if you roll the maximum value on a die, you may then roll the next larger die, and keep whichever result is better. This can happen cumulatively, so if you roll a 4 on a d4, and then roll a 6 on a d6, you can go ahead and roll a d8, keeping that value if it's higher than your 6 from the d6.
  • The game will include stats for personalities from the show, including the Mane Six, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna.
  • The game will include an introductory adventure; adventuring will include being sent on missions by the Cutie Map.
  • Supplementary materials will include things such as character sheets and a GM screen.
  • The designers mention that they're willing to receive proposals from RPG writers who want to submit other supplements for publication.

Hopefully more details, and a release date, will be forthcoming soon!
Alzrius
Bugbear

Re: [My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic] Official RPG Annou

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Interesting. I know there is a Pathfinder equivalent with serial numbers filed off called Ponyfinder.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Krimson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:08 pm

I'm kind of surprised that WoTC didn't do this since Hasbro has always owned MLP. Then again, it was probably the third party company that approached them for a licence. MLP 5e would be pretty awesome though, even if I'm not a fan of the show (tried to watch one episode, didn't last five minutes).
Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Postby DaemonAngel » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Transformers RPG would also be great. :)
DaemonAngel
Orc

Postby timemrick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:40 am

My kids will want it if they learn of its existence. Meanwhile, we backed the Epyllion Kickstarter, because that game seems to be essentially "MLP but with dragons."
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby Alzrius » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 pm

A small update: a month ago, the game's official Facebook page said that the game was in playtesting. A little over a week ago, when a fan mentioned wanting to playtest the game also, the game's developers replied:

We are doing 'closed doors' playtesting for now, but soon we'll open it up a bit more...

Hopefully this means that we'll see more updates in the near future!
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Alzrius wrote:A small update: a month ago, the game's official Facebook page said that the game was in playtesting. A little over a week ago, when a fan mentioned wanting to playtest the game also, the game's developers replied:

We are doing 'closed doors' playtesting for now, but soon we'll open it up a bit more...

Hopefully this means that we'll see more updates in the near future!
Very cool! Can't wait to get my mitts on a digital playtest packet! :cool:
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Alzrius » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:48 pm

So the latest newsletter from River Horse - the European company producing Tails of Equestria - has a short article about the game. It's mostly an overview, as the newsletter hasn't discussed it prior to now, (being focused on more imminent games, such as the Jim henson's Labyrinth board game they're getting ready to release) but it does confirm a Winter 2016 release date for Tails, as well as a working sketch of a character from the cover.

Here's the text of the email:

FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC

Some months ago we released the information that we were working hard on our next game and, as we work with manufacturers to bring you the magic of Labyrinth late this summer, we thought we would give you a sneak peek at our next game, which has an entirely different type of magic.

Planned for release Winter 2016, Tails of Equestria is a role-playing game based in the fantastic world of My Little Pony – Friendship is Magic. Players will find themselves creating their own pony-adventurer, with unique cutie marks, colours and talents. The PCs (Pony Characters, of course!) will then face amazing challenges and learn that to prosper they will have to harness all six elements of harmony, and the most important power of all - friendship! Check out above the amazing concept artwork for the magic-using Unicorn who will feature on the cover the book, courtesy of talented artist Amy Mebberson!

I took a moment to talk to the writer of Tails of Equestria, Alessio Cavatore and to ask why we chose it as our next product, this was what he had to say;

"I wanted to write this game because I both love My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic, after watching every single episode of the TV show (repeatedly!) with my seven-year old daughter. As a professional geek, I also love role-playing games and the fantasy elements that permeate Equestria and its denizens convinced me that the two together would make a great game."

And so, Tails of Equestria is shaping up to be a fantastic introduction to the world of role-playing games as well as a joyous romp through Equestria for older fans of the show!
Last edited by Alzrius on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:26 am

Alzrius wrote:
  • The RPG will be released as a hardcover book, not a boxed set.

That makes sense. Boxed sets might look cool, but they are a waste of money (and a waste of money means higher prices for punters). A hardcover book can be done on a Print on Demand basis and can remain available to fans for years.

Alzrius wrote:
  • It will not make use of miniatures (that is, this won't require miniatures to play).

It's good that you don't "need" miniatures, but I'm sure that a ton of MLP fans would love to collect miniatures. They should cut a deal if they can.

Alzrius wrote:
  • The game will include an introductory adventure; adventuring will include being sent on missions by the Cutie Map.
  • Supplementary materials will include things such as character sheets and a GM screen.

Sounds like they are thinking of additional products, if they are planning a GM screen.

Alzrius wrote:
  • The designers mention that they're willing to receive proposals from RPG writers who want to submit other supplements for publication.

Hmm. How many RPG designers do I know who are My Little Pony fans. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Alzrius » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:29 pm

A new update! The cover image has been revealed!

There's also a press release from the publisher's latest newsletter:

You want to see something cool? Check out the full cover of My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria by clicking on the picture above (or here!). You see? Pretty cool, that's what you will have to be looking out for later this year when we release the full game! For those of you not in the know, we at River Horse have been working our hooves to the bone to bring MLP and traditional roleplay gaming (RPGs) together (MLPRPG or Milerperpegeh) and its been a blast! I thought I would take this moment to talk a little about the cover, a hugely important part of any book!

What design choices went into the cover?

We knew pretty early on what we wanted out of the cover, we wanted to show anyone who looked at it what they would be getting when they opened the book, that is to say ponies and adventure! Working with the fantastic Amy Mebberson, we decided that catching an adventuring party halfway through their travels would give the best impression. So it went that we created a party, following the classic three person fighter/wizard/rogue set up that is such a staple in traditional roleplaying games. My little pony is a fantastic introduction to roleplaying games partly because of its vibrant world and varied species which meant we could show the magical unicorns, strong earth ponies and speedy pegasi in an instant and people would immediately identify with the archetypal party we made. After that it was a matter of placing them in an adventure (navigating through the Everfree forest!) and the rest fell into place.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Alzrius » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:47 pm

Here's a blurb that was in the latest newsletter from River Horse:

The link in that picture went to the game's Facebook page, but rather oddly that picture isn't there (at least not yet).

I'm becoming slightly nervous about the game. First the cover spotlights three standard fantasy classes (fighter, wizard, and thief/rogue), and now it's highlighting a new creature that's presumably a monster to be fought. I know it can be difficult to make a role-playing game (or rather, story-telling game, as they're calling it) about solving friendship problems with understanding, empathy, and respect, but I really hope they don't turn it into a game focused around fighting monsters and taking their stuff.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Alzrius » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:31 pm

So there's been an announcement of the game's first adventure, The Curse of the Statuettes!:

Take the first step into the exciting world of Tails of Equestria (coming 2017) with our first full length adventure – The Curse of the Statuettes!

Equestria is in trouble and it needs your help!

All over Equestria ponies have started to turn into statuettes, figurine versions of themselves. Nopony knows why, nopony knows when and to make it all worse, nopony knows where the Mane six have gone! It looks like it’s up to you to travel to distant lands, overcome terrifying danger and save ponyville, neigh the world!

In The Curse of the Statuettes ponies will explore the mysterious badlands and have to find ways to befriend or outfox the many ponies and creatures they will meet. Creatures such as the Roc, a mythical bird that uses its massive size and slate-like feathers to intimidate anypony who gets in its way or the greedy Dr Caballeron, caring more for wealth than for than good of ponykind!

For the latest in ponynews check out our facebook group and subscribe to our newsletter!
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Alzrius » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Some major announcements and previews have been handed out regarding the Tails of Equestria MLP RPG in the last few days! We now know when the game will ship, and what will be released first, thanks to a pair of new articles over on ICv2. The first article has several highlights:

• The North American distribution will be done by Shinobi 7, the new game company created by Ninja Division and Seven Seas Publishing.
  • The artwork (obviously notwithstanding the cover) for the book will be screen-grabs from the show, and "art from Hasbro's My Little Pony artists." Presumably this will be the case for subsequent releases as well.
  • Three items will ship in March of 2017. These will be Tails of Equestria main rulebook, The Curse of the Statuettes Adventure Story Box Set, and Tokens of Friendship.
  • The core rulebook will be a 152-page book with full-color artwork.
  • The Curse of the Statuettes Adventure Story Box Set is being called a "boxed expansion," and will have 48-page full-color adventure book, a gamemaster screen, a set of six polyhedral dice, and 40 customizeable character sheets.
  • Tokens of Friendship are twelve gemstones with a collector's bag. These are used as a play mechanic, where you can turn in tokens to affect the course of events in the game (e.g. re-roll a failed check, etc.).
  • After these initial releases, new products will come out quarterly.
  • River Horse - the European company producing the game - is said to be "currently working on a big line" for the game, with "lots more exciting things that they're planning for it."
  • There's currently "no comment" on the possibility of miniatures for the game being made.
  • According to Ninja Division Partner and Sales and Marketing Director Deke Stella, the game's target audience is the "tween demographic," but added, "However, one of our goals with it is to make it accessible to everybody."
  • According to the same source, "It's a roleplaying game, but we're using the term a storytelling game. It's a light roleplaying mechanic."
  • There's also the possibility of some "light" organized play happening. Deke Stella noted, "Like with most roleplaying games, as far as organized play, what we'll probably look at is doing some game nights, some introductory adventures, and things like that, kind of light engagement stuff that makes it so that you can learn how to play a game at night with a group of people, that sort of thing."
  • The game is being sold via the book channel, and should release across all channels simultaneously.

If that wasn't enough, there's also a second article that goes more directly into previews for the game, including several screenshots of pages from the core rulebook! Specifically, there are four images of the final products, and six images of pages from the interior of the Tails of Equestria book.

Between the article and the screenshots, we can get a few more hints of what we can expect to see from the final products:

• The Curse of the Statuettes Adventure Story Box is for characters level 1-3.
  • The "tokens of friendship" product/mechanic are supposed to represent "pure crystallized friendship." (Despite this, I'm doubtful that the tokens are supposed to have any sort of in-game representation, considering that they're used as a meta-mechanic.)
  • Some of the screenshots of the core rulebook's interior pages note that, when creating a pony character, you associate your character with one particular Element of Harmony. While this might just be used to help flesh out your character's personality, another page specifically mentions who the "last" pony was to have each Element (e.g. the Mane Six). I have to wonder if this is meant to indicate that your characters become the new bearers of the Elements!
  • When starting the game, the number of friendship tokens you gain is equal to the total number of players, including yourself and the game master. It notes that they are "difficult to earn." It gives examples of using them in play: 1 can be spent to re-roll a failed "test." 2 can be spent to re-roll a failed test with a d20. 3 can be spent to auto-succeed on a test. It also notes that they can be spent to create narrative effects, and that the game master can adjust costs as appropriate.
  • Level 1 is characterized as being "young ponies that have just earned their cutie mark."
  • We actually get to see stats for several creatures: diamond dogs, mohawks, quarray eels, timberwolves, ursa minors, and even Zecora herself!

There's no pre-order entry for any of these products on Amazon that I saw, but it's probably only a matter of time now!
Last edited by Alzrius on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Alzrius » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Woot! The latest newsletter from developer River Horse has an image of the game's character sheet! Check it out!

Interestingly, the basic pony image seems to be for a mare (based on the eyelashes and shape of the muzzle). Maybe there'll be more than one version in the final game (or, more likely, in the Curse of the Statuettes adventure/supplement)?
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:46 pm

This might be of interest to anyone waiting for this game: Weekender: New GF9 Tanks Game First Look & Hasbro My Little Pony RPG Interview:
TheBeastsOfWar on YouTube wrote:My Little Pony RPG

We had Alessio Cavatore in the studio this week and we had a surprise interview where we talked with him about My Little Pony, a new license that River Horse has picked up, and the RPG they have planned for it.

Could you see this being the neat role-playing game for kids to have a go at?

I've not heard of Alessio Cavatore before. Does anyone have anything else he has designed?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Alzrius » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 pm

You're a little bit late to the party on that one, Big Mac. That's the same video that you can find in the first link I posted in the first post of this thread.

That said, thanks for embedding it here!
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Alzrius » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:25 pm

River Horse has posted an update about supplementary products for the Tails of Equestria RPG line. This includes for the products we knew would be releasing alongside the Core Rulebook this March, as well as heretofore unannounced products that will be released later in the year!

The picture (which is too large to directly embed here), notes the following new products:

• Tails of Equestria Role-Playing Dice are small cases that appear to contain a full set of polyhedral dice. There are three dice sets - one each for earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi - and each one includes a mini-adventure! Each case has two ponies from the Mane Six on them to show what set they are, such as having Pinkie Pie and Applejack for the earth pony set, or Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash for the pegasus set. Interestingly, the unicorn set has Rarity and Starlight Glimmer!
  • Pony Sheet Pads are, from the look of things, character sheets identical to those in the Curse of the Statuettes expansion set. The blurb here confirms that the pictures on the pads will either be blank, or will have an earth pony, pegasus, or unicorn picture on them, and notes that there are filly and colt versions.
  • The last entry is simply for "expansion books," naming only one in particular: The Bestiary of Equestria!

A blurb accompanies the picture:

As we get ever closer to release, we thought it would be nice to share some of the products that will accompany our core rulebook, some on release and some further down the line – from the essentials such as roleplay dice and pony sheets right down to the simply awesome. You’ll love the Bestiary, which has rules for creating Dragon, Griffon and other non-pony characters as well as tons of creatures from the series for you to include in your stories!

This seems to confirm that the Core Rules won't have options for non-pony characters, which is probably to be expected. Moreover, I'd be willing to bet that there won't be special character sheets for dragons, griffons, or other non-pony races; in all likelihood, the character sheet with the blank picture is likely to be what's used for them.
Last edited by Alzrius on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:07 am

The more I see of this the more I realise that I'm never going to want to play this game.

But I also realise that this is going to be a ton of fun for people who like My Little Pony. And it's going to be great for young children who might not yet be up to tracking a ton of different stats and skills. I've seen starter sets for D&D and they have never really seemed satisfying as a game for beginners. They have always felt like a 'try before you buy" system for getting people to play the full game. But this MLP RPG is going to be a game that kids can pick up and play for years. I can even see it teaching young kids to GM MLP adventures.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Alzrius » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Big Mac wrote:The more I see of this the more I realise that I'm never going to want to play this game.

Well that's a sad irony, since there's a character in the show named "Big Mac." (He's Applejack's older brother, famous for his taciturn nature.)

But I also realise that this is going to be a ton of fun for people who like My Little Pony. And it's going to be great for young children who might not yet be up to tracking a ton of different stats and skills. I've seen starter sets for D&D and they have never really seemed satisfying as a game for beginners. They have always felt like a 'try before you buy" system for getting people to play the full game. But this MLP RPG is going to be a game that kids can pick up and play for years. I can even see it teaching young kids to GM MLP adventures.

Here's hoping! I'm going to do an in-depth review of the Core Rulebook when it comes out, and I'm anticipating that it'll be a lot of fun. The light role-playing mechanics aren't what I usually use, but I've liked what I've seen so far. I doubt that we'll ever get any conversion documents between this and other RPGs, but that's what the fan community is for!
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Alzrius » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:49 pm

A few days ago, Tabletop Weekly posted an interview with Alessio Cavatore, Managing Director and Lead Designer of the My Little Pony Tails of Equestria Storytelling Game. During the interview, they let several new tidbits about the game slip:

• The Core Rulebook will include a two-page full-color spread of the (updated) official map of Equestria.
  • In the game, "PC" means "pony character."
  • The combat section will be referred to as "scuffling," and will result in, at worst, characters being knocked out or captured, rather than killed.
  • The initial adventure included in the Core Rulebook will apparently be called "The Pet Predicament," and will involve the PCs rescuing the Mane Six's pets while their owners are away.
  • The reason that the Mane Six are away is that they're investigating why ponies all over Equestria are turning into statuettes; naturally, this initial adventure will serve as a lead-in to the Curse of the Statuettes adventure/expansion.
  • The idea of ponies turning into statuettes is a feature from Alessio's own gaming history, as he'd always have deities curse the PCs to turn into statuettes (and back again) at random times...and so giving an in-game representation for what happened when someone couldn't make it to game night! (It's unclear if that will be in effect in Tails of Equestria, but it seems likely at this point.)
  • Alessio lets it slip that one of the new PC races that will be in The Bestiary of Equestria will be changelings!

Tabletop Weekly will be posting a preview video of the game on February 14th. Here's hoping that we can find some new information then too!
Last edited by Alzrius on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:03 pm

I gotta admit, I'm just a squee bit excited! ♥
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Alzrius » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:55 pm

A quick update; during his interview, Alessio briefly showed some character sheets used by (if I recall correctly) his daughter and her friends during the game's playtesting. You can now see those character sheets in more detail, along with brief overviews of the characters, over on the River Horse webpage.

Interestingly, alongside the Body and Mind stats, there's one for what looks like "Cuteness" as well.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby night_druid » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:The more I see of this the more I realise that I'm never going to want to play this game.

My group might do it as a one-off. And take that train as far off the rails as we could (While Princess Prettypretty is distracted admiring her new shoes, I cast thermo-nuclear fireball, centered on her). ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Alzrius » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:47 pm

night_druid wrote:My group might do it as a one-off. And take that train as far off the rails as we could (While Princess Prettypretty is distracted admiring her new shoes, I cast thermo-nuclear fireball, centered on her). ;)

Yeah, you're talking about the princess who once did this, so good luck with that. :P
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby night_druid » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Alzrius wrote:Yeah, you're talking about the princess who once did this, so good luck with that. :P

Hey, so long as mass destruction and casualties was caused, its all good. :mrgreen:
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Next

Return to The Wishing Well