Nocturnal Media Acquires West End Games

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Nocturnal Media Acquires West End Games

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:10 pm

For a long time fan of all the classic West End Games RPGs from D6 Star Wars to TORG to Shatterzone, to MasterBook (Indiana Jones and others) to Paranoia as well as legendary board games like Junta, I am happy to see WEG being brought to the surface again after Eric Gibson's attempts to revive the company in the 2000s. Gibson since sold off many of the games owned by WEG, but WEG still owns D6, Fires of Amatsumara, Bill Coffin's Septimus and some board games.

I am curious to see what comes out of this!

More details: http://www.nocturnal-media.com/blog/201 ... -end-games

What do you think?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Nocturnal Media Acquires West End Games

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:21 am

Havard wrote:What do you think?
It looks like WEG might be back supporting the d6 system, but how many campaign settings do they still own? Is it just the two you mentioned?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:
It looks like WEG might be back supporting the d6 system, but how many campaign settings do they still own? Is it just the two you mentioned?
I just posted a list of all the WEG settings in this thread where I also indicate which settings are now acquired by Nocturnal Media. It does seem to be limited to Bill Coffin's Septiums (Space Opera), Fires of Amatsumara (Space Western) and the three fairly generic Space/Adventure/Fantasy settings provided in the D6 Core books. The fantasy mini-setting Javarta appeared with the D6 Screen, but I think that world originally comes from the MasterBook Companion Book meaning it now resides with Precis Intermedia.

Many of the lisenced settings could still be renegotiated I suppose, but I dont know if Nocturnal Media (Steve Wieck) is interested in doing that. The focus right now seems to be on getting the D6 Rulebooks into POD as well as Septimus.

One of the most innovative settings created by WEG was TORG. It was sold to the German Company Ulysses Speiele, but is now returning to the English speaking audiences as TORG: Eternity later this year. Though that has nothing to do with Nocturnal Media.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I just posted a list of all the WEG settings in this thread where I also indicate which settings are now acquired by Nocturnal Media. It does seem to be limited to Bill Coffin's Septiums (Space Opera), Fires of Amatsumara (Space Western) and the three fairly generic Space/Adventure/Fantasy settings provided in the D6 Core books. The fantasy mini-setting Javarta appeared with the D6 Screen, but I think that world originally comes from the MasterBook Companion Book meaning it now resides with Precis Intermedia.
Thanks. I'll check that other topic out. :)
Havard wrote:Many of the lisenced settings could still be renegotiated I suppose, but I dont know if Nocturnal Media (Steve Wieck) is interested in doing that. The focus right now seems to be on getting the D6 Rulebooks into POD as well as Septimus.
I think that the licensed settings are a bit of a double-edged sword. While they do have brand awareness, they eat up part of the profits. So a publisher needs to churn out a certain amount of stuff to break even.

If the 2nd Edition D&D era could have multiple campaign settings, I would think that a revived d6 System could have a number of science fiction campaign settings that fill various niche markets who want different SF styles.

If they were able to do that with one-shot books, that were backed up by expandable product lines, they might be able to "get away" with providing less support than something like Star Wars might require.
Havard wrote:One of the most innovative settings created by WEG was TORG. It was sold to the German Company Ulysses Speiele, but is now returning to the English speaking audiences as TORG: Eternity later this year. Though that has nothing to do with Nocturnal Media.
I've heard of TORG (and I know the logo). It's good to see that is also in safe hands.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:I think that the licensed settings are a bit of a double-edged sword. While they do have brand awareness, they eat up part of the profits. So a publisher needs to churn out a certain amount of stuff to break even.
True, but it depends on the deal. According to former WEG President Scott Palter, he was able to get alot of lisences for very low prices back in the 1990s. Even the Star Wars lisence seems to have been a really good deal for WEG for a long time. It is very possible that companies have changed their attitude to this sort of thing in late years though. At least the lisences worth having.
If the 2nd Edition D&D era could have multiple campaign settings, I would think that a revived d6 System could have a number of science fiction campaign settings that fill various niche markets who want different SF styles.

If they were able to do that with one-shot books, that were backed up by expandable product lines, they might be able to "get away" with providing less support than something like Star Wars might require.
I dont see why not. :) But why limit themselves to Sci Fi? In the early 2000s, D6 supported a wide range of genres from Science Fiction to Pulp Adventure to Fantasy.
Havard wrote:One of the most innovative settings created by WEG was TORG. It was sold to the German Company Ulysses Speiele, but is now returning to the English speaking audiences as TORG: Eternity later this year. Though that has nothing to do with Nocturnal Media.
I've heard of TORG (and I know the logo). It's good to see that is also in safe hands.[/quote]

Yes, I was a bit anxious about Ulysses Spiele at first, but now that they have announced their plans to publish for the English speaking market, I am much more optimistic. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:57 am

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think that the licensed settings are a bit of a double-edged sword. While they do have brand awareness, they eat up part of the profits. So a publisher needs to churn out a certain amount of stuff to break even.
True, but it depends on the deal. According to former WEG President Scott Palter, he was able to get alot of lisences for very low prices back in the 1990s. Even the Star Wars lisence seems to have been a really good deal for WEG for a long time. It is very possible that companies have changed their attitude to this sort of thing in late years though. At least the lisences worth having.
WEG was essentially what brought Star Wars back. When it was released in 1987, the last Star Wars movie and novel had both been released in 1983 (RotJ and the last of the Lando Calrissian Trilogy), and the Marvel comic series had ended a year previously, in 1986. The RPG won the Origins award, sold solidly, and became authoritative enough that Tim Zahn was sent copies of game books for reference when he began working on the Thrawn trilogy, which sold incredibly well and was the true start of the multi-media era of Star Wars.

Interestingly, FASA had also wanted the Star Wars license, and had begun development of rules for it. When the license went to WEG, FASA finished developing their game and released it in an original universe as Renegade Legion.

Otto Harkaman
Orc

Post by Otto Harkaman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 am

Interesting...there is more to West End Games than just the rpgs, there was Imperium Romanum, a fantastic recreation of the Roman Empire in a boardgame format.

draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:55 am

Otto Harkaman wrote:Interesting...there is more to West End Games than just the rpgs, there was Imperium Romanum, a fantastic recreation of the Roman Empire in a boardgame format.
They had a lot of great board games - Cosmic Encounter, Junta, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Star Trek: The Adventure Game, Druid, Web and Starship (which will be the first reprint of the "new" WEG), Bug-Eyed Monsters, Kamakura...

Return to “The Wishing Well”