DevGame gain rights to Divine Right RPG and computer game

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

DevGame gain rights to Divine Right RPG and computer game

Post by NPCDave » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:12 am

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from Minaria (Divine Right Setting) topic.

Looks like Castalia House now has the rights to Minaria as a setting for novel and RPG development. And a related group of computer game developers are going to be producing a computer version of the game.

I am looking forward to seeing what will come of this.

http://www.castaliahouse.com/divine-rig ... evelopment

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: DevGame gain rights to Divine Right RPG and computer gam

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:44 pm

NPCDave wrote:Looks like Castalia House now has the rights to Minaria as a setting for novel and RPG development. And a related group of computer game developers are going to be producing a computer version of the game.

Very interesting news! Curious to see what plans they have for this setting indeed! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:39 am

NPCDave wrote:Looks like Castalia House now has the rights to Minaria as a setting for novel and RPG development. And a related group of computer game developers are going to be producing a computer version of the game.

:o WOW!! Very interesting indeed...wonder what the video game will be like...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:44 pm

It's interesting to see Wizards of the Coast licencing out one of their campaign settings. Here is what it says on the DevGame blog:
DevGame wrote:Saturday, July 16, 2016
Divine Right is green-lighted

DevGame can now confirm that DevGame Project #6 will be the Basic Rules Divine Right computer wargame, as Alpenwolf has acquired the rights to produce Divine Right-related games, including the original wargame, from the rightsholder. The plan is to complete and release the Basic Rules version first, then add Advanced Rules and 3rd Edition Rules in the future.

Single-player mode versus AI opponents and multiplayer modes with and without AI opponents will be included.

Castalia House also acquired the right to produce novels and RPG materials set in the world of Minaria and utilizing the Divine Right name.

The map is already well underway and is being prepared for 4k screens. The 78 custom map icons still need to be created and the XY ratio needs to be adjusted, but it is otherwise nearing completion.
I wonder if they have any plans to make a RPG or a novel.

Would they make a 5th Edition compatible RPG (using the 5e SRD)? Or would they build a RPG around whatever rules was in the old Divine Right board game?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Just to note I don't believe WotC owns Minaria or Divine Right, I believe the original creators own it.

Odds are Castalia House will produce a novel set in Minaria. They have a number of talented writers working for them, and as I understand it, they offer more generous royalties because they don't have the overhead of your standard publisher.

As for an RPG, that I am not so sure. They do have an OSR D&D blogger as their main blogger on the site, but I don't know if he has published his own stuff. It is probably planned but they may need to find someone to do it. In fact, if any of you guys would want to work on such a project, you might get in the door if you can impress them with what you have written in the past.

So the system or mechanics would really depend on who they actually bring in.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:04 pm

NPCDave wrote:As for an RPG, that I am not so sure. They do have an OSR D&D blogger as their main blogger on the site, but I don't know if he has published his own stuff.
Who is the Blogger?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:28 pm

He goes by Jeffro...https://jeffro.wordpress.com/

His posts on Castalia House use the same name, they have several people posting there.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:43 pm

Further good news, it has been announced that Rod Walker is the author working on the first Minaria novel.

http://www.rodwalkersf.com/

It has also been confirmed that the tabletop RPG is in an early stage of development.

I will keep you guys posted as further developments happen.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:28 pm

NPCDave wrote:Further good news, it has been announced that Rod Walker is the author working on the first Minaria novel.

http://www.rodwalkersf.com/

It has also been confirmed that the tabletop RPG is in an early stage of development.

I will keep you guys posted as further developments happen.
Do you have sources for this stuff, Dave?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Posted on the blog of Castalia House founder and editor...
I'm delighted to hear that Rod enjoyed working with us, as we're very pleased to be working with him. He is one of the most professional authors in the industry, delivering what must be some of the cleanest manuscripts delivered anywhere. He's not only professional, he's prolific, as we'll be publishing two more of his novels before the end of the year, Alien Game, which is a second Heinlein-style SF juvenile, and an as-yet-untitled fantasy novel set in Minaria, the world of Divine Right.

If you haven't read his first SF juvenile, Mutiny in Space, you really should do so, as it is a fast-paced, old-school, true-Blue SF novel.

One of the things Castalia is building is a community of readers and writers, just as DevGame is the foundation for a community of gamers and game developers. As both the first DevGame game, Elveteka, and Rod's third book with us shows, there is room for a considerable amount of overlap and cross-pollination; a DevGame team is already actively developing the computer wargame version of Divine Right and Castalia will be publishing the print edition of a Divine Right RPG book that is in the very early stages of development.

Return to “The Wishing Well”