[Kickstarter][1e][5e] The Complete Roslof Keep Campaign

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

[Kickstarter][1e][5e] The Complete Roslof Keep Campaign

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Art of the Genre have something interesting up on Kickstarter: a mega-dungeon, called The Complete Roslof Keep Campaign, which they are going to publish with both 1st Edition and 5th Edition stats! :shock:
Scott Taylor wrote:The Complete Roslof Keep Campaign is a mega-dungeon compiled from Folio’s 1-6 in both 1st Edition & 5th Edition fantasy gaming formats. It encapsulates the struggle of your characters joining the Company of the Ivory Scimitar as they take on the dangers of a ‘living’ dungeon in hopes of finding the key to immortality. Six detailed levels broken down in both 3D and 2D (classic blue) maps help spin a story of adventure, struggle, martial prowess, and ingenuity in doing something no other adventuring company has ever been able to do, defeat the Infernal Machine that drives the dungeon.

This unabridged version will be include 6 gazetteers, 6 adventures, 6 mini-adventures to flesh out the campaign, Races of the Nameless Realms supplement, and 2 character sheets (one each for 1E & 5E). Our goal is to attempt to replicate the 128 page format of the old TSR ‘orange bound’ AD&D series of hardcovers from the early 1980s (Stranger Things anyone?), and like those hardcovers this will be covered with brand new commission artwork by artist Jeff Easley who did all those covers.

If you’ve ever dreamed (like I have) of one day getting to expand your old orange collection, then now is the time. Or, if you are a 5th Edition player and are looking for a great way to introduce players to the system while hankering back to the old days, look no further.

My Project: Restating the above, The Complete Roslof Keep Campaign is a 1st Edition & 5th Edition mega-dungeon adventure hardcover. It will be produced as an 8 1/2x11” matte hardcover with both b/w & color interiors. The current page count is scheduled for 128, although this may vary up slightly.

Who’s it for? ALL gamers, both new gamers and old gamers as it is easily expandable or playable as is.The concept is to allow gamers a starting point for adventure that will lead them on an epic quest. This means a hard driving concept (think the Descent series of OSR modules) but some adaptability within the overall frame.The base mechanic will be for 1st Edition with 5th Edition stat blocks in grey.

A LOOK AT A FOLIO MODULE!

When? The initial writing for this mega-dungeon is complete, however, some new modifications will have to be made when compiling it into a single volume. This means we will need time for the modifications and new layout, plus time to print and ship, but all looks good for a December release, just in time for Christmas!

Why Roslof Keep? Well, because I loved gaming artist Jim Roslof, have toured his studio, and always thought he should have received more credit for his work in the dawn of RPGs. This tribute is for his work on the cover of B2 Keep on the Borderlands.

I can’t do this without you: Art of the Genre needs your help! We've trimmed out all excess costs and have a break even amount of $15,000. This covers the printing, shipping, & redesign, to create this OSR tribute. We have already devoted countless hours to seeing this product come together, but to make it ‘real’ and available to all players, we need your help. We believe in this dream, and we hope you do too!

What happens if we pass the goal? If we pass the goal, we hope to be able to continue to add in refinements and bonus material to the book. Remember, this is an epic quest, so the more we can expand the story for you, the more fun is available to you and your players.

TAKE ON THE ADVENTURE WITH CLASSIC OSR DESIGN!

Retro Black & White

Updated Full Color Fantasy

I don't think I've heard anyone doing anything with support for both 1st Edition AD&D and 5th Edition D&D before.

I've not really been following The Folio, and this Kickstarter is 23 hours from ending.

Has anyone bought any of the stuff for The Folio before? What do you think of it?

Is there a campaign setting in this product line, or is it a generic thing?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Kickstarter][1e][5e] The Complete Roslof Keep Campaign

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:29 pm

I've backed each of the previous Kickstarters, and these are high-quality modules. They really remind me of the old AD&D material, all the way down to the art. I haven't actually run/played them, so my experience is limited.

I'm not sure if the author is building a campaign setting. The adventures seem to be made such that they could be dropped into nearly any fantasy setting with little effort.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:50 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I've backed each of the previous Kickstarters, and these are high-quality modules. They really remind me of the old AD&D material, all the way down to the art. I haven't actually run/played them, so my experience is limited.

Has this always been a 1e/5e product line, or is that a new thing?

Tim Baker wrote:I'm not sure if the author is building a campaign setting. The adventures seem to be made such that they could be dropped into nearly any fantasy setting with little effort.

I guess that would come out in the future, if additional Kickstarter campaigns were designed to link back to this one.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:[Has this always been a 1e/5e product line, or is that a new thing?

Yes, all the way back to the first installment.

Big Mac wrote:I guess that would come out in the future, if additional Kickstarter campaigns were designed to link back to this one.

Sounds like a good approach. Considering all of the Kickstarters have been successful, I suspect we'll see more from The Folio.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to The Wishing Well