[Kickstarter] Swords & Wizardry 3rd Printing

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

[Kickstarter] Swords & Wizardry 3rd Printing

Postby Big Mac » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:58 pm

There is a Kickstarter up called Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook 3rd Printing. It's not a new edition. It's a revamped version of the existing edition:
Frog God Games on Kickstarter wrote:Be a part of the old school renaissance! Back the award-winning roleplaying game. Original edition rules. Original edition feel.

About this project

Swords & Wizardry is the ENNIE award-winning retro-clone of the original 1974-1978 edition of the world’s most famous fantasy roleplaying game. We can’t name it specifically, under the rules of the license we used to reproduce the rules, but you know the game we’re talking about.

We’re starting to run low on our stock of the 2nd printing, and it’s time to print some more. We didn’t just want to do an exact reprint, and the history of the changes here date back a while ago to when we were talking with designer Stacy Dellorfano about the fact that many OSR games have a physical appearance and presentation that really targets the 40 year old guys who’ve been gaming since forever, and doesn’t have nearly as much appeal to younger or female gamers of the generations following that first wave of players from the 1980s. In point of fact, old-school games, with their light-rules aspect and emphasis on a game master’s “common sense” interpretation of situations, are actually a really good tool for anyone who feels like rules-lawyers may be spoiling the game by trying to be over-authoritative or even overbearing with a GM. But if the appearance and presentation make the game look like it’s purely a throwback and not a modern tool for good gaming, then there’s a real obstacle to the game’s push into the mainstream gaming community.

As a result of this analysis, we engaged Stacy as a designer to produce an edition that’s no less appealing to older male gamers, while being MORE appealing to younger and to female gamers. Stacy put together a team, all women, to address this dual objective. We think her team has done an awesome job, and when you see the design results, we think you’ll agree.

Unfortunately, we think there may be some controversy about the fact that the design team here is made up entirely of women. We’ve already heard a couple of comments that generally turn on the idea of “Why restrict the project to women designers? Shouldn’t the objective be to pull the best talent whether male or female? What a gimmick.” We’d like to address that out front, rather than have it turn into a back-channel controversy in the halls of the internet. The missing piece of information is this: there are so many different directions that a project can take that there’s no such thing as “the best talent.” Given our goal of making the game more accessible, we hired – through Stacy – talent that coordinates with the goal. We asked Stacy to put together an all-woman team not as a societal goal, but because she had the chops to assemble the kind of team we wanted. This isn’t a “pink” edition of the rules. It’s the more-accessible next printing that we are targeting toward the mainstream market. It has always been our goal to get the open-ended rules of 1974-78 gaming into the mainstream, and this is our objective here. We think that Stacy’s team has hit this goal out of the ballpark, and we think you’ll agree.

Stacy writes: "I am Stacy Dellorfano, the Project Manager for Frog God Games on this project. I’m going to lay out this Kickstarter by walking you through what we’ve done, why I’m passionate about it, and why this work is important. I’ve gotten a great deal of support and advice from Bill Webb, the main force behind Frog God Games, and the author of Swords & Wizardry, Matt Finch."

Go over to Kickstarter, to read the full pitch, but it looks - from what it says there - that Frog God Games are trying to get the message across that this isn't an old school product for older gamers - it's a product that can work for all gamers.

They have already raised $7,851 of the $12,000 goal and there are 33 days left. So it looks like this is going to go through.

Maybe this could give the OSR a boost and help it capture more market share from 5th Edition D&D. Maybe we might even get enough S&W fans on The Piazza to get a bespoke forum going one day. :)

Who plays Swords & Wizardry on The Piazza? What do you think of the art in the 1st and 2nd printing?

Would you like to see a boost in younger players? Would you like to see more local gaming stores selling S&W alongside 5e and running S&W games in store?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

New Swords & Wizardry Kickstarter is live!

Postby InSearchofGames » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:22 am

Hello everyone!

In case you haven't heard, there's a brand new printing of Swords & Wizardry live on Kickstarter right now, and they are, at the point I'm writing this, less than $100 away from funding! That's very exciting!

Pledging $1 or more gets you the PDF copy; pledging $35 or more gets you the hardcopy, and adding on $24 gets you two original adventures, one by my friend Elizabeth Chaipraditkul, and one by Stacy Dellorfano. It's a really great product and Stacy and her crew have done an amazing job putting a lot of hard work into getting this 3rd printing together. It has beautiful artwork, and you can see many examples at the kickstarter page.

I hope you decide to support the project and Frog God Games!

http://kck.st/2dvoyxx
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Re: [Kickstarter] Swords & Wizardry 3rd Printing

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:27 am

I like the idea of a product making OSR more accessible to a broader audience. I'm interested to learn more about the new adventures that are being offered as add-ons.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: New Swords & Wizardry Kickstarter is live!

Postby InSearchofGames » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:18 am

...and it funded in 15 hours! So excited!
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Re: New Swords & Wizardry Kickstarter is live!

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:20 am

Thanks for the heads-up, and welcome to The Piazza.

BTW Kickstarter anouncements for games go into The Wishing Well and we already have a topic for this. I'm going to get your topic merged into that one.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby InSearchofGames » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:57 am

Whoops! Sorry about that, David! Thank you for moving (and merging) it. Still gotta get my feet wet...er...rewet? Rewetted? Whatever it is to come back to a website many years after barely posting here the last time I was around. That.
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:34 pm

I am not sure The Wishing Well existed the first time you were here. :-)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Wishing Well