Breaking news: Anna Meyer working on new 3D Midgard map!

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

Breaking news: Anna Meyer working on new 3D Midgard map!

Postby Big Mac » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:03 am

Anna Meyer just posted the following announcement on her website: Big project – Midgard mapping!:
Anna Meyer wrote:Time to spill the beans, my next project is going to be Midgard by Kobold Press. It will be my biggest commission so far and a major undertaking. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks setting things up and getting started. It will take up a majority of my time for the rest of the year and into spring.

Here is a first sneak peak:

The detail level and scale will match the Southlands map, but a whole range of new techniques will make these maps a large step forward. Better forests, detailed rivers are a few of them. More information will be published at Kobold Press website, and the Midgard Facebook page as the project move forward.

This is one of my dream projects and a great honor to get a chance to do, the drawback is that my other plans will take longer to accomplish. So everything else I have planned (Patreon, example maps and a new website) are still being worked on but only on a limited basis.

She hasn't explained exactly how much of Midgard is being mapped. Perhaps Wolfgang Baur is going to reveal that on the Kobold Press website.

Does anyone recognise what part of Midgard this is?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Breaking news: Anna Meyer working on new 3D Midgard map!

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:47 am

Shaping up nicely!!
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Old Geezer GM » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Big Mac wrote:

The Zobeck region...the Ironcrag Mountains are in the upper left, the Smolten Hills are in the lower left, the souther tip of the Cloudwall Mountains are in the upper right, with the Old Margie very Forest dominating the center and right.

[/nerd cred] :cool:
Captain pledge for World of Calidar
Old Geezer GM
Goblin

Location: The great Commonwealth of Virginia, in the New World

Postby Big Mac » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Old Geezer GM wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

The Zobeck region...the Ironcrag Mountains are in the upper left, the Smolten Hills are in the lower left, the souther tip of the Cloudwall Mountains are in the upper right, with the Old Margie very Forest dominating the center and right.

[/nerd cred] :cool:

Thanks Old Geezer GM.

Do you know of a 2D map (of the same area) that I can look at, to get an idea of what sort of changes Anna is putting in?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Old Geezer GM » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:17 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thanks Old Geezer GM.

Do you know of a 2D map (of the same area) that I can look at, to get an idea of what sort of changes Anna is putting in?

I think this grab from the CS map is pretty close. Some of the areas might be slightly off on Anna's, then again she is going for a more realistic approach.

http://i.imgur.com/nW7LHJc.jpg
Captain pledge for World of Calidar
Old Geezer GM
Goblin

Location: The great Commonwealth of Virginia, in the New World

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Old Geezer GM wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Thanks Old Geezer GM.

I think this grab from the CS map is pretty close. Some of the areas might be slightly off on Anna's, then again she is going for a more realistic approach.

http://i.imgur.com/nW7LHJc.jpg

Thanks for that.

I like the 2D cartographer work there. When Anna had done whatever she is doing, I might even buy and old school map and a new school map, so I can compare them and look at the differences. (I even like looking at sketch maps that designers do and pass to the professional cartographers, when they are willing to release them. They sometimes give you a clue about why certain things are done the way they were done.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Wishing Well