MWP passes Cortex System over to Cam Banks

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

MWP passes Cortex System over to Cam Banks

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Margaret Weis Productions (MWP) and Cam Banks have signed a deal for development of the Cortex System to be passed over to Cam's company Magic Vacuum. Magic Vacuum is expected to be crowdfunding development of new Cortex rulebooks next year.

You can read more on the press release on Margaret Weis's website: Tabletop RPG designer Cam Banks licenses Cortex™ from Margaret Weis Productions, announces new design studio Magic Vacuum

Cam has formerly worked for MWP. He is a Dragonlance fan and has credits on many of their Dragonlance books.

Has anyone on The Piazza seen any of the Cortex books that Cam has already worked on? What sort of things would you be hoping to see from the system next year?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Re: MWP passes Cortex System over to Cam Banks

Post by Krimson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:10 pm

I've spoken to him a few times about Cortex Plus, mostly on Google Plus. I think Cam having the licence is probably the best possible news for the system.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:18 pm

Cam Banks is also a member of The Piazza. :cool:

I think this sounds like great news for Cortex.

What does this mean for the future of MWP though?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Havard wrote:Cam Banks is also a member of The Piazza. :cool:

-Havard
From what I understand MWP is going to focus on publishing fiction. I doubt they will be making any more game products though it may be possible they may licence out more properties. Cortex Plus is one of my favorite systems and bar none the easiest to run in play by post, so that's where my interest is.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:20 am

Krimson wrote:I've spoken to him a few times about Cortex Plus, mostly on Google Plus. I think Cam having the licence is probably the best possible news for the system.
Cam is an awesome guy. He has really helped Dragonlance (as well as MWP). My main regret with him taking on Cortex is that it means he is less likely to be creating Dragonlance stuff.
Krimson wrote:
Havard wrote:Cam Banks is also a member of The Piazza. :cool:

From what I understand MWP is going to focus on publishing fiction. I doubt they will be making any more game products though it may be possible they may licence out more properties. Cortex Plus is one of my favorite systems and bar none the easiest to run in play by post, so that's where my interest is.
The article says that Margaret Weis has given up RPGs for good:
MargaretWeis.com wrote:This announcement coincides with Margaret’s retirement from RPG development to focus on her current novel and film projects. Banks is taking up the reins to develop and ensure Cortex Plus™ fans receive the foundational rulebooks for the Cortex Plus Creator Studio as well as new RPGs based on the system.
From what I can tell, this is all about Margaret Weis making sure the RPG stuff is handed onto someone she knows will do a good job.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Wishing Well”