Thorfinn Tait Cartography Patreon

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

Thorfinn Tait Cartography Patreon

Postby Thorf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:46 am

Today I have launched a Patreon campaign. If you would like to support my mapping activities, please check it out, and consider becoming a patron.

Here's a short excerpt:

This Patreon is about helping me to make more maps for you and others to enjoy, and use in RPGs. During the day I work as a high school teacher in Japan. So all of my mapping is done in what little spare time I can find. I also have two (soon to be three) small children, so my time is quite limited.

That's where I need your help. With a little funding, I could afford to spend more time on mapping. I could also invest in more software to assist with my efforts.

In short, I could make more maps.

I want to produce more Calidar maps. In fact, I want to map the whole world, continent by continent.

You can find it here.

I hope this will open up new possibilities for my cartography, but I can't do it without you. Whether you decide to pledge or not, thank you for your continued support! Please help by spreading word of this campaign.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Thorfinn Tait Cartography Patreon

Postby Sturm » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Great! posted a small pledge, happy to help support you and Calidar. Not much now as I'm facing moving and remodelling a house now, but it's a start! :)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Thorf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Thank you very much, Sturm! Every little helps. :) Thank you for all of your support!
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby hihama » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Small pledge posted.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Azure Admiral » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:26 pm

I'm in! :)
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Ambreville » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:58 am

Am in as well... noblesse oblige! ;)
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Thorf » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:33 am

Thank you all!

Of course patrons who can pledge more are also a huge help, but I think that small pledges are the lifeblood of a Patreon: everyone benefits, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Everyone wins! ;)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Spellweaver » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:07 am

I joined as well - though a bit more restrained than I initially planned. I found out that Patreon adds VAT on all subscribers in the EU and in Denmark the VAT is 25%, meaning that Thorff only ever gets 80% of whatever I donate :-(
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.
Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Postby Azure Admiral » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:37 am

I can check no more the patreon final pledge charging page, where the VAT is detailed. But if i'm not remember wrong, the VAT is actually *added* to the pledge.

So for example: the fourth level pledge is 10$/month: that's the net $ amount Thorf receives, while the supporters are actually charged instead by 12$ (the VAT is charged on subscribers).

Is this correct?
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„
Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Postby Morfie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:55 am

Does this mean no more Mystara maps?
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Thorf » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:04 am

I'm not sure about all the specifics of how it works. But please report back when you find out — it's useful for future reference.

Don't worry Morfie, nothing has changed regarding the Atlas of Mystara project. I know that this is a question that interests a lot of people, because this is the third or fourth time I've answered it lately. ;)

For legal reasons, I have made a clear and deliberate distinction between my Patreon and the Atlas of Mystara. I will never get permission from Wizards to do such a thing for Mystara, so obviously that idea is out. That said, this new project in no way means I will stop doing my Mystara maps (as you saw earlier this year when I took a break from Calidar to do Lining Up Mystara). On the contrary: I hope to apply the techniques and styles I develop for Calidar through this Patreon to Mystara in the years to come.

So while the Patreon is indeed exclusively Calidar (as it has to be), the things I take away from it, and the community support I get from it, will also feed back into my non-profit, non-commercial Mystara projects.

Hope that answers your question, Morfie. :D
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Morfie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:10 am

Well any new software and hardware would assist with any other mapping you might do, but my concern was more with your spare time. It seemed Calidar would take up all of it. I have 2 kids myself and have next to zero RPG time as it is!
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Thorf » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Morfie wrote:Well any new software and hardware would assist with any other mapping you might do, but my concern was more with your spare time. It seemed Calidar would take up all of it. I have 2 kids myself and have next to zero RPG time as it is!

You don't know the half of it — our third is due in just over a month! :o :D

The fact of the matter is that I have always drifted back to my Mystara projects in the past, even after getting married, after getting a full time teaching job, after having two kids, and indeed after starting work on Calidar. Even before any of those things came along, my pattern has always been concentrated work for a few months, then take a breather and work on something else. This is not likely to change.

Plus, I have deliberately kept the commitment to Patreon to a very doable level, with only 1-2 maps expected per month — and I also adopted the "per map" scheme rather than the "per month" scheme, so that it's possible for me to take time out without my patrons being charged for nothing.

Finally, I am fully aware that more than a few people who are backing me on Patreon are also Mystara fans, and would love to see me work on those projects too.

When it comes down to it, you are correct about the lack of time thing, though. That's why my new 5th Edition campaign, as well as almost all my board gaming, has been on hiatus since the summer. There are busy times when I get nothing done on anything but my day job, and there are times like last winter when I spent three months straight on Mystara.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:54 am

The first map from my Patreon has been published! Many thanks to everyone who has backed me and/or helped spread the word about this project.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/narwan-for-and-7414407
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Big Mac » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:14 am

You have a couple of maps out now. How is the Patreon concept working out for you, Thorf?

Aside from the funding, is there anything else going on?

Are any of the backers helping with proofreading maps or doing anything else that is helping in a way that might not be obvious to non-backers?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ambreville » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:18 am

Big Mac wrote:Are any of the backers helping with proofreading maps or doing anything else that is helping in a way that might not be obvious to non-backers?
I do! Does it count? ;)
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Thorf » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:You have a couple of maps out now. How is the Patreon concept working out for you, Thorf?

Aside from the funding, is there anything else going on?

Are any of the backers helping with proofreading maps or doing anything else that is helping in a way that might not be obvious to non-backers?

It has been great so far, David. Thanks for all your help spreading the word!

Bruce has been providing new details for the maps, making them all the more useful for Calidar players and GMs. This is very exciting stuff for all Calidar fans (including of course myself! ;) ).

The best thing so far has been the feedback from patrons on the drafts of each map. I've fallen into a pattern where I post a first draft, then refine it in response to comments and suggestions before publishing the final draft. And since the final draft is public, everyone can enjoy the fruits of the project.

The other fun thing is discussions about what to map next. As you can imagine, there have been some great ideas, and my to do list just keeps growing. I can't wait to get more and more maps done and published so I can share them with everyone.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Return to The Wishing Well