Green Ronin to branch out into tie-in fiction!

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Green Ronin to branch out into tie-in fiction!

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:15 pm

I just stumbled onto a press release by Green Ronin, from two days back GREEN RONIN PUBLISHING TO LAUNCH FICTION LINE:
Nicole Lindroos at Green Ronin wrote:GREEN RONIN PUBLISHING TO LAUNCH FICTION LINE

Plans to release tie-in fiction in print and electronic formats

Seattle, WA (04/12/17): Green Ronin Publishing, best known as a publisher of award-winning tabletop roleplaying products such as Mutants & Masterminds and the Freeport fantasy setting, is pleased to announce the launch of a new fiction initiative in 2017.

Leading this effort as Fiction Line Managing Editor will be Jaym Gates, author and editor, whose guiding hand has recently been evident on projects such as the Strange California anthology and Eclipse Phase: After the Fall, among many others.

“I always said that if we started a fiction line, we needed to do it the right way, and that’s precisely why we’ve brought Jaym on board,” says Green Ronin President Chris Pramas. “She has the chops and the experience to make this line sing.”

“I’m excited and honored to work with the Green Ronin team,” says Gates. “I’ve been a fan of their stories for a long time, and look forward to the opportunity to help bring new stories to life in their worlds.”

Green Ronin aims to include novels, anthologies, and both stand-alone and serialized short fiction in their releases, tied to the rich and varied worlds of their many tabletop roleplaying properties. Early releases will include fiction set in the romantic fantasy world of Aldea from the Blue Rose Roleplaying Game and tales of superheroic adventures set in the world of Earth-Prime from Mutants & Masterminds.

As part of this fiction launch, Green Ronin has come to an agreement with author and editor C.A. Suleiman to publish and distribute his previously existing fiction anthology Tales of the Lost Citadel in electronic and deluxe print formats. Tales of the Lost Citadel will be the first release for the new fiction imprint.
There is some more over there (about Green Ronin and Jaym Gates) but this is the main bit.

This is a really interesting thing. At a time when D&D has been shutting down tie-in novel lines, Green Ronin has chosen to go in the opposite direction.

I'm hoping there will be some Freeport novels at some point (maybe even a Hamunaptra novel).

I didn't catch Tales of the Lost Citadel. I wonder if C.A. Suleiman would get Green Ronin to publish a Redoubt RPG sourcebook as a tabletop tie-in. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: Green Ronin to branch out into tie-in fiction!

Post by timemrick » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:36 pm

I hope they do some Freeport fiction. Among other things, it would give them a place to reprint a couple short pieces that have appeared in gaming magazines and are thus nearly impossible to find now. Plus, it's an IP that I might actually have a chance of writing for.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Nice!

With WotC leaving the fiction market, it is cool to see others jumping in to fill the niche.

I agree with Tim. Novels set in or around Freeport would be fantastic!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Freeport wasn't mentioned in the original press release, but Pramas has indicated on Facebook since then that the first wave will also include it!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:21 pm

timemrick wrote:Freeport wasn't mentioned in the original press release, but Pramas has indicated on Facebook since then that the first wave will also include it!
Fantastic news! :)

I want to read stories about the adventures of Captain Scarbelly! :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:21 am

timemrick wrote:Freeport wasn't mentioned in the original press release, but Pramas has indicated on Facebook since then that the first wave will also include it!
Sweet! :cool: I could never get into FR fiction being that I've literally grown up on the setting since 1991. Reading fiction felt like an act of heresy for some reason, being that I felt emotionally connected it. I do not feel connected to Freeport at all, so fiction may very well help me get more into it.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am

timemrick wrote:Plus, it's an IP that I might actually have a chance of writing for.
I hope you get that chance.

Would you do a Freeport NaNoWriMo?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:17 am

Big Mac wrote:Would you do a Freeport NaNoWriMo?
Great question, Big Mac! I'd love to see some fiction for Freeport by our resident expert!
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 am

I've never tried NaNoWriMo, so couldn't say for sure. This November's free time is already spoken for, I think.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:35 am

timemrick wrote:
I've never tried NaNoWriMo, so couldn't say for sure. This November's free time is already spoken for, I think.
Unless you are working an NDA, can you tell us what you are working on? Is it Freeport related?
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:40 am

Angel Tarragon wrote: Unless you are working an NDA, can you tell us what you are working on? Is it Freeport related?
Research for a project that is still too nebulous for me to know what to say about it yet.

Return to “The Wishing Well”