Best Selling RPGs of Spring 2017

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.

Moderator: Chimpman

Best Selling RPGs of Spring 2017

Postby Havard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 pm

According to ICv2

What do you think about these results? Here is an article on ENWorld about this topic

See also this Piazza thread about RPG companies back in 2014. How does that compare to today?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Best Selling RPGs of Spring 2017

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:12 am

Havard wrote:

What do you think about these results?

It's interesting that D&D 5e essentially shows up on the table twice. First, the official game, and second a 3rd-party setting that uses 5e rules.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Havard » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:38 am

Tim Baker wrote:It's interesting that D&D 5e essentially shows up on the table twice. First, the official game, and second a 3rd-party setting that uses 5e rules.

That is indeed interesting. I bet the combination of these two popular brands must have been a sure way to get into the top 5 list. I believe D&D, Pathfinder and Star Wars have dominated this list for many years. D&D's position on the first place was only challenged by Pathfinder at one point, but that was when WotC had announced that they would end 4E, but did not yet have 5E in place.

I also think that Shadowrun remaining a stayer on the top 5 list over many years is pretty interesting. I rarely see people talking about Shadowrun on the forums I attend to, but maybe they have their own places on the web?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ghendar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Nice to see Pathfinder hanging in there. I always think back to the people who thought Paizo was nuts for going that route and would have no chance against D&D. Good for them. I hope they keep going
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby agathokles » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Havard wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:It's interesting that D&D 5e essentially shows up on the table twice. First, the official game, and second a 3rd-party setting that uses 5e rules.

That is indeed interesting. I bet the combination of these two popular brands must have been a sure way to get into the top 5 list. I believe D&D, Pathfinder and Star Wars have dominated this list for many years. D&D's position on the first place was only challenged by Pathfinder at one point, but that was when WotC had announced that they would end 4E, but did not yet have 5E in place.

Indeed, LotR and Star Wars are two of the most popular franchises. It is unsurprising that they fare so well in RPGs too. If anything, it is surprising that other major franchises (e.g., Marvel and DC Comics) fail to do so.
D&D and Pathfinder are essentially the same thing, Pathfinder being the result of the failed attempt by WotC to kill 3e, and reflects the popularity of that edition (4e was much less popular, and games inspired by it, such as 13th Age, do not fare as well).

I also think that Shadowrun remaining a stayer on the top 5 list over many years is pretty interesting. I rarely see people talking about Shadowrun on the forums I attend to, but maybe they have their own places on the web?

Shadowrun has been running continuously for ages. It is sort-of D&D in a future setting (there are many of the same tropes), so it is once more not so surprising that it is so successful.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Return to The Wishing Well