Old Spice publish D&D character class

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Old Spice publish D&D character class

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 pm

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: Old Spice publish D&D character class

Post by timemrick » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 pm

They claim it's for "the greatest RPG of all time," which they can't legally name, and that phrase is very close to one of the taglines on the D&D 5e covers. But if you read it, it's actually using the Pathfinder rules (and trade dress).

I can't tell if that misleading blurb is part of the joke or not. Someone at Old Spice flying their geek flag is surprising enough, but a sly dig at D&D would be even more surprising. And hilarious.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 pm

P.S. Unlike 99.9% of the internet, some of the comments are worth reading. Someone criticized the class's focus on the opposite sex, and Old Spice replied that they were collecting feedback to revise the class. Classy!
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 am

timemrick wrote:P.S. Unlike 99.9% of the internet, some of the comments are worth reading. Someone criticized the class's focus on the opposite sex, and Old Spice replied that they were collecting feedback to revise the class. Classy!
I saw that. I wonder if they will revise it.

It's obviously a joke, that cost them money to produce. They are not selling RPG rules, so they can't keep sinking money into it. Having said that, if the discussion keeps going and the shares and stories about the class spread, it's continuing to get their name out. So maybe they will follow it up.

I noticed that Pazio is following Old Spice on Twitter.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Wishing Well”