[5E] Strongholds & Streaming Kickstarter

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

[5E] Strongholds & Streaming Kickstarter

Post by timemrick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:39 am

Matt Colville has started the Strongholds & Streaming Kickstarter to fund his strongholds rules for D&D 5E and the streamed campaign he wants to run (both of which he's been talking up for quite some time on his YouTube channel). The project funded almost immediately, and blew through all its stretch goals in 4 hours. After only 2 days, it's already at $785K+ (over 1,500% of the initial $50K goal).
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [5E] Strongholds & Streaming Kickstarter

Post by shesheyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:16 pm

I really like the approach he has taken on this. Very tempting !

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 am

I'm not sure how much I'll ever use it, but I backed it largely because I love his "Running the Game" series, and want to see what else he's got in his bag of tricks.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:42 am

I saw someone on Faceborg saying that this Kickstarter has pulled in more money than the annual budget of most RPG companies.

And I saw someone else saying that live-streaming is now more of an economic pull than traditional RPG design. I don't really buy into that. I follow a couple of live-streamed games and it just is not the cash-cow that people think it is. I think the reality is that there are a couple of people (Matt Colville being one and Matthew Mercer being the other) who were in the right place and the right time, and who worked very hard to build a community around themselves.
timemrick wrote:I'm not sure how much I'll ever use it, but I backed it largely because I love his "Running the Game" series, and want to see what else he's got in his bag of tricks.
I signed up to Matt Colville's Discord server (just to see what was on it) and a lot of people there are saying the same thing. Basically, Matt has spent several years giving people free D&D advice (and even taking the time to talk to many of them personally) and they have been so happy with that, that they have sent other people to him and now they are throwing money at him.

I'm actually wondering how high this will go and how long he will be able to hold off from making any more stretch goals. Other people, who pull in a ton of cash, start promising to make more books and end up having to hire a lot of other people. I don''t think that Matt Colville was expecting this much cash.

I guess that, with some of the Kickstarter purpose being to obtain studio space for filming tabletop gaming, he could hire the space for longer, or buy a building outright. Or he could buy more video equipment and/or hire additional video editors, so he could spend more time appearing in shows and less time setting them up. (Two sets, for example, would allow for games to be run back to back.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:22 am

5 days in, and he's broken $1M. :shock: In his update yesterday, he said that he's not to planning to add any more stretch goals--he wants to focus on delivering on what he's already promised, and doing it well. Probably a good call, since it's his first Kickstarter, so he's learning as he goes.
Last edited by timemrick on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 pm

I just signed up to this yesterday.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 pm

He has added another stretch goal after all: If he breaks the previous record for tabletop RPG KS ($1.3M-something), he'll add rules for pirate ships as strongholds. That would *really* useful if and when I run another Freeport game! And he only need another $200K or so to get there, with over 3 weeks left to go.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Indeed, I thought you would be interested in the Pirate Ship, Tim! :)

I rather love the idea of treating a ship like a Stronghold.

I am toying with the idea of getting some of the minis, but not sure I can afford that right now.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:30 am

I wonder how much of this is from people recalling BECMI rules for Strongholds. IMO this was done much better than any other D&D edition.

I am also wondering how much of an influence BECMI will have on these rules.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 pm

More and more tempting... I may fail my saving throw very soon !

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:22 pm

timemrick wrote:He has added another stretch goal after all: If he breaks the previous record for tabletop RPG KS ($1.3M-something), he'll add rules for pirate ships as strongholds. That would *really* useful if and when I run another Freeport game! And he only need another $200K or so to get there, with over 3 weeks left to go.
He went for $1 USD more than the current highest total raised for a RPG Kickstarter:
Matt Colville on Kickstarter wrote:Image
Hey everybody, Matt Colville here!

We hit a million dollars today which is…I’m beyond all capacity for rational thought at this point. The faith you folks have shown in me, the support of the channel and this product is LITERALLY unprecedented.

And it frankly freaks me out a little, lotta pressure, but rather than worry I figured lets have some fun? Folks have been asking for Stretch Goals for a while, they want to see new cool stuff but thusfar no one has come up with a stretch goal or add on I actually think is a good idea and haven’t we already promised a lot?? Also, technically thusfar isn’t a word but it should be.

I wondered…hey what ah…what is the record for most-funded Kickstarter in the Tabletop RPG category?? Something I hadn’t really considered before and it turns out its $1,316,813 dollery-doos.

So I thought…if we raise $1,316,814 dollars I will add a new type of stronghold to the book! I figured why not have, just completely at random…a PIRATE SHIP!

That’s the next and maybe last stretch goal folks! Raise $1,316,814 and I’ll write up some rules for a Pirate Ship Stronghold! Basically a kind of mobile keep with some elements of an Establishment!

That number seems insane to me but ALL NUMBERS SEEM INSANE TO ME NOW. So what do I know?

We’ll update the graphic soon folks! Stay tuned!

TL;DR $1,316,814 = PIRATE SHIP STRONGHOLD!
Right now the Kickstarter has raised $1,206,478 USD, so they are $110,336 USD short of adding the rules for spelljamming pirate ship strongholds to the book. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Big Mac wrote:Right now the Kickstarter has raised $1,206,478 USD, so they are $110,336 USD short of adding the rules for spelljamming pirate ship strongholds to the book. :)
The Kickstarter is now on $1,322,886, so the stretch goal for pirate ship strongholds is go! :o

...and this is officially the most successful tabletop Kickstarter ever! :cool:

Return to “The Wishing Well”