[Kickstarter] Princess Bride RPG

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Kickstarter] Princess Bride RPG

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:35 pm

A company called Toy Vault is running a Kickstarter for a RPG based on the Princess Bride movie!: The Kickstarter is unsurprisingly called: The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game. Here is the blurb from their page:
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game at Kickstarter wrote:The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Role-play in the fantastic world of The Princess Bride!

About

Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Revenge. Giants. Monsters. Chases. Escapes. True Love. Miracles. You too, can experience the high adventure of The Princess Bride universe with The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game!

The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game is a cooperative story-telling game. Each player takes on the role of a character within The Princess Bride universe. This character can be anything you imagine inhabiting your version of The Princess Bride universe. One of the players will create the world and adventure for the rest of the players. The book is a guideline for you to play fairly within the world, as well as give helpful hints and advice on how to have a fun time around the table.

Author

It's been our pleasure to game with and work with Steffan O'Sullivan on The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game. Steffan has been gaming since the seventies, and has been professionally writing role-playing games since the eighties. He is known for his work on GURPS: Bunnies and Burrows, GURPS: Swashbuckler, and the Fudge engine, which powers this game along with a whole host of other games.

Book

This 250-plus page, full-color, hardback rule book has all the rules you need to play in the world of The Princess Bride. The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game uses a light role-playing engine called "Fudge". Fudge was also designed by Steffan O’Sullivan and features a simple set of rules that requires just three six-sided dice to play. You can even use Fudge dice to make action resolution a bit more streamlined. The book presents a graduated character-creation system, allowing first time players to jump right in, and experienced players can experiment with their own character builds. In addition to the easy rules and character creation, it details the background of The Princess Bride. It has the stats for all the main characters in the movie, as well as descriptions of the places in The Princess Bride. The book also includes adventures and adventure hooks to keep your play group busy for weeks.

The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game is officially licensed, and we have worked with The Princess Bride licensor to bring you this great book full of your favorite shots from the movie.
I don't know Toy Vault or Steffan O'Sullivan (not yet anyway), but the Kickstarter has raised $49,601 USD (with the original target being $49,000) so 626 fans have decided this is going to happen. :)

They have a couple of stretch goals announced:
  • $50,000 PDF of the Thieve's Forest and
  • $60,000 PDF of Guilder
There is a third stretch goal at $70,000, but they are not saying what that is yet.

They have some add-ons, but they have things like limited edition campaign coins and bespoke dice that (while they look cool) are the sort of things aimed at rich people who collect stuff. I would much rather have seen a line of miniature figures. I honestly can't understand why they have put a monopoly clone and a card game down as stretch goals and not done anything using minis. Even people that don't want to play The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game would probably buy the minis. :)

Anyhoo, is anyone on The Piazza backing this? What level did you back at? Are you interested in any of the extras? Would you be wanting to get the products from the stretch goals?
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Kickstarter] Princess Bride RPG

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:35 pm

Before the rest of you go mad with movie quotes and memes, here is one I made earlier: :P
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:58 pm

I took a look earlier. I love the movie (who doesn't) and the game looks great.

Not a big fan of FATE, but I have never really played the system so maybe it is worth checking out?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:08 pm

It is inconceivable that this has not happened sooner.

Fun fact: one of the local theater chains here hosts a yearly "Quote-along" showing of the Princess Bride on Valentine's day. Complementary mask and blow-up sword are part of your ticket price. I dueled the young lady seated a few seats down after the show. She was not left handed.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 pm

RobJN wrote:It is inconceivable that this has not happened sooner.

Fun fact: one of the local theater chains here hosts a yearly "Quote-along" showing of the Princess Bride on Valentine's day. Complementary mask and blow-up sword are part of your ticket price. I dueled the young lady seated a few seats down after the show. She was not left handed.
But were you left-handed that day?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:53 am

Havard wrote:Not a big fan of FATE, but I have never really played the system so maybe it is worth checking out?
The blurb says this game will use Fudge, which is what FATE is derived from, but they're not quite the same system. IIRC, the version of Fudge i've read required a bit more prep to use, because it didn't make any assumptions ahead of time about what skills, or skill hierarchy (pyramid vs. ladder), to use. On the other hand, because this book is being written to recreate a specific setting, I expect most of that heavy lifting will already be done.

It will be interesting to see what O'Sullivan does with Fudge, after all these of years of Evil Hat's FATE getting a lot more attention.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:55 am

It looks like they are only allowed to sell this RPG in the USA and Canada.

EDIT: Hang on they fixed that licence issue and added worldwide shipping options on the 20th of February.

Return to “The Wishing Well”