Paizo announces Pathfinder (2e) Playtest

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Paizo announces Pathfinder (2e) Playtest

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:30 pm

Paizo have announced that they are starting a Pathfinder Playtest (for the next edition of Pathfinder) on August 4th:
Pathfinder Playtest at Paizo wrote:Join the Evolution!

The Pathfinder Playtest officially launches on August 2, 2018!

In 2008, Paizo launched an unprecedented public playtest aimed at updating the third edition rules to make them more fun, easier to learn, and better able to support thrilling fantasy adventures. More than 40,000 gamers just like you joined in the fun by playtesting the new Pathfinder RPG rules and providing feedback, and the rest is gaming history. Now, 10 years later, it's time to put the lessons of the last decade to use and evolve the game once again. It's time for Pathfinder Second Edition!

Pathfinder Playtest Features

The new Pathfinder Playtest rules are the first step in the evolution to the new edition. We have incorporated the best innovations and lessons of the last 10 years to move the game forward in new and exciting ways. As we count down the days to the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook release, we'll be revealing more information on the following topics (and more!) on the Paizo blog:
  • 10th-Level Spells and 4 Spell Lists
  • Alchemists in Core
  • Archetypes and Multiclassing
  • Class Changes
  • Classic Monsters and Magic
  • Clean, Modular Information-Based Design
  • Combat Maneuvers that Rock
  • Designed for All Levels of Play
  • Easier to Play
  • Goblin Player Characters
  • Golarion-Infused
  • Heroic Storytelling
  • Innovative Initiative
  • More Customization
  • New Background System
  • Pathfinder Society
  • Production Values
  • Race Changes and Feats
  • Rebalanced Magic Items
  • Simplified Actions
  • Streamlined Proficiencies
  • Support
  • True to Pathfinder
  • Wayne Reynolds Art
Pathfinder Playtest Products

All Pathfinder Playtest products will be released as FREE downloads exclusively at paizo.com on August 2, 2018. On the same day, we'll release limited-edition print versions of the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook, Pathfinder Playtest Adventure, and Pathfinder Playtest Flip-Mat Multi-Pack for players and Game Masters seeking the ultimate playtest experience. These print editions will be available for preorder from local retailers now and paizo.com between March 20 and May 1. We'll also have copies at the Paizo booth during Gen Con 2018 in Indianapolis on August 2–5.
  • Paizo will not reprint the Playtest Rulebook or Pathfinder Adventure, so players must preorder to ensure they do not miss these items. We have created a preorder form you can print out and take to your local retailer, or you can preorder print editions from paizo.com between March 20 and May 1.

Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook

This massive 400-page rulebook contains everything you need to create characters and run Pathfinder Playtest adventures from levels 1–20! With gorgeous new illustrations by Wayne Reynolds, the Playtest Rulebook lights the path leading directly to Pathfinder's future. Available in three editions: softcover, hardcover, and deluxe hardcover with foil-debossed faux-leather cover and ribbon bookmark.

Pathfinder Playtest Adventure: Doomsday Dawn

This 96-page super-adventure contains seven multi-encounter scenarios designed to introduce the new rules and put them to the ultimate test on your game table! With adventures spanning all 20 levels and featuring most of the game's newest rules, Doomsday Dawn provides a thrilling tour of the new rules, and of the Pathfinder world itself!

Pathfinder Playtest Flip-Mat Multi-Pack

Throw your heroes into the action with this collection of two double-sided Flip-Mats for use with the Playtest Adventure. These beautiful full-color maps measure 24" x 30" unfolded and set the scene for climactic battles that will determine the future of Pathfinder! The maps' erasable surface can handle and dry-erase, wet-erase, or even permanent markers.
There is also a blog and an FAQ over there.

What do you think? Will Pathfinder Second Edition be a bigger success than Pathfinder First Edition? Or will they split their user base?

Do you think that Pathfinder Second Edition will take features from 5th Edition D&D?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Paizo announces Pathfinder (2e) Playtest

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:16 am

My brain exploded with joy when I saw this, I am beyond excited for this!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 am

Pathfinder edition wars ! My pop corn is in the microwave.

Seriously, no mention of skills in the blurb (or they call them proficiencies?).

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:57 am

(Waits for the cries of all the people who have been saying this for 5+ years to come out of the woodwork and say "I told you so!")
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:08 am

Told you so! :D
To be honest, I think that it was about time. And I guess they started developing as soon as D&D5 was out. They stated somewhere that they commissioned all-new artwork from WAR two years ago, which they probably would not have done without some progress already made in the new rules.
I´d guess that backwards compatibility will be less than to D&D3.5, as they stated at some point that they would have loved to change more from 3e, but did not for the sake of compatibility. It might be that they will be closer to 5e with PF2, which would seem logical given 5es success, but is in danger of alienating their own fan base. Oh well, we will see.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:04 am

shesheyan wrote:Seriously, no mention of skills in the blurb (or they call them proficiencies?).
There are still skills in the game (I'm listening to the Glass Cannon podcast where Jason Bulmahn is converting Crypt of the Everflame on the fly). And to stebehil's point (above), Jason does mention that he's been working on this for two years now, so they have been in development for a while it seems.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:46 am

I think it will be successful, but nowhere near as successful as PF1. Pathfinder came in at a time when D&D 4e came out and many people were upset with the new look D&D and thus preferred to go to what looked like an improved version of 3.5, hence why many people consider PF to be D&D 3.75. Their gains were due to WotC losses. PF 2e is coming out when 5e is out and wildly popular. There isn't the market for an alt-D&D as there once was. Will it be D&D 5.25? I don't think so. 5e is still growing and very slowly coming out with new rulebooks.
But they will almost certainly take some things from 5e, and do it better. Better because Paizo are RPG focused, have the staff numbers to do it, and don't have Corporate Hasbro with Big Brother MtG breathing down their necks.

It will definitely split their user base.. those with a current campaign going on will be loathe to change. Every new edition splits a user base, and that is natural. There are still OD&D people from the mid-70's who prefer 0e over AD&D 1st edition. If they do it properly - which I believe they will - I'm guessing 80% will pick up PF2 within 2 years.

However, PF1 has now been around for 10 years with a very heavy release schedule. The bloat is major at this point, and must be overwhelming to newbies. The PRD is the best bet to start with, but has not been updated in nearly 2 years. The amount of adventure modules out for PF1 is incredible and has surpassed previous D&D editions. There is very little left to cover in terms of new rule sets. There are 6 main bestiaries to choose creatures from. The one-off modules had died, but the AP's are still going. PF is at the saturation point.
With the advent of D&D 5e, Paizo has seen their share of the market drop significantly. This is why I thought they went the Starfinder way for something different, rather than bringing in a new PF as well.

In terms of what has been said so far:
- Goblin characters: Who cares? D&D research recently showed that Humans, Elves, and Dwarves were overwhelmingly popular as a race choice. Sure, Goblins were in their yearly free modules, but is this really a selling point?
- 10th level Spells: Interesting, but we still only have 20 Character levels. These will have to be either treated differently than Vancian magic, or the Spell Rate of Progression will be quite different and thus more of a challenge to convert.
- Golarion-Infused: This I like, there is still plenty of Golarion left unexplored, even on the main continent.
- Much of the rest seems like they sat in a room and brainstormed things on a whiteboard - Production Values, True to Pathfinder, Heroic Storytelling, etc. I can see cloud diagrams..
- No direct mention of AP's. This was the best thing about PF.
Last edited by Morfie on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 am

shesheyan wrote:Pathfinder edition wars ! My pop corn is in the microwave.
I was wondering if we would have a split in the Pathfinder forum at The Piazza (for topics about the Pathfinder Campaign Setting to go into Campaign Worlds) but there didn't seem to be enough interest in the 5-10-1 process. I'm wondering how long (if at all) it will take for people to build up enough interest in Pathfinder 2e.

I know we had a D&D Next forum, before 5e came out (based on playtest documents) so we could theoretically get a "Pathfinder Playtest forum" and then have it (and the existing Pathfinder forum) renamed later.

I might munch some of your popcorn, while I'm waiting to see if people at The Piazza are interested enough in the playtest. :)
shesheyan wrote:Seriously, no mention of skills in the blurb (or they call them proficiencies?).
They can always add them back. I suspect that they will pull out a few things, just to see if anyone notices they are gone. ;)

I'm also wondering how much of this is going to be Pathfinder continuing to evolve from 3.5 and how much is going to be a Pathfinderised version of the 5.0 SRD. :twisted:

I suppose they could take rules from other games systems too (seeing as game rules are non-copyrightable) but they wouldn't necessarily be able to use the same names for things.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 am

It is not a surprising move. They had basically all the line on Humble Bundle last year, which is something you typically do to squeeze down the last bits off an edition when you're ready to move to the next.
That said, after 10 years it is likely that a new edition was in order. Given PF's history, it is likely that changes will be more in the domain of consolidation and incremental improvement rather than the more radical changes we've seen from WotC.
In particular, the lack of mention for skills probably means that skills will not change much if at all -- they are part of the core mechanics, and already improved with respect to 3e.
I think Starfinder may give some insights on how PF 2e will look like -- archetypes as part of the core, a somewhat different action economy, etc.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:41 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:My brain exploded with joy when I saw this, I am beyond excited for this!
It's certainly going to be fun to sit back and watch this.

The other interesting thing is that, we are going to have a 3.0 SRD, 3.5 SRD, 5e SRD, 1e PRD and 2e PRD all released under the exact same licence (the OGL). So, I can see people trying to mix and match rules together to create their own Frankenstein's SRDs.

This thing is literally going to be the first step towards that sort of environment.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 am

stebehil wrote:Told you so! :D
:lol:
stebehil wrote:To be honest, I think that it was about time. And I guess they started developing as soon as D&D5 was out. They stated somewhere that they commissioned all-new artwork from WAR two years ago, which they probably would not have done without some progress already made in the new rules.
I'm guessing that they would have experimented with changes during the development of Starfinder, aiming to bring the most sucessful changes over to Pathfinder 2e. (A backlash against changes in Starfinder might have made them pull changes from the Pathfinder Playtest documents.)
stebehil wrote:I´d guess that backwards compatibility will be less than to D&D3.5, as they stated at some point that they would have loved to change more from 3e, but did not for the sake of compatibility. It might be that they will be closer to 5e with PF2, which would seem logical given 5es success, but is in danger of alienating their own fan base. Oh well, we will see.
Paizo have been turning lemons to lemonade since the end of the Dragon and Dungeon licence.

First they converted their magazine business into an Adventure Path business (building the Pathfinder Campaign Setting - with 3.5 rules) to avoid having their magazine userbase leech away. Then they built the Pathfinder RPG to replace their SRD access to the 3.5 core D&D books, when WotC discontinued those books.

Paizo started off as a company designed to support the core business of Wizards of the Coast (with WotC offloading staff from their own magazine onto Paizo) but when WotC pulled the rug out from underneath the company they had outsourced their D&D support to, they forced Paizo to "adapt or die".

Other 3rd Party Publisher companies, from the 3rd Edition Era, failed to adapt to the switch from the OGL to the GSL. I take my hat off to everyone at Paizo who stopped that happening to their business.

Nevertheless, Pathfinder Campaign Setting and the (1e) Pathfinder Roleplaying Game were reactions to WotC removing access to the Dragon and Dungeon licences and then the end of the d20 STL.

What is intersting about Pathfinder 2e, is that they are not being "forced" to do this. They have now gotten to the stage where Pathfinder is it's own thing and have obviously been considering the pros and cons of going to Pathfinder 2e for some time.

They might be doing a limited print run of the Playtest Rulebook and Doomsday Dawn and I'm sure that sales of both those books will help offset some (if not all) of the cost of making the free PDFs, but if they don't have a burning need to finish the playtest, they could take their time getting things right.

(I wonder if they will put out a "Playtest Adventure Path" at some point. :? )

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
There are still skills in the game (I'm listening to the Glass Cannon podcast where Jason Bulmahn is converting Crypt of the Everflame on the fly). And to stebehil's point (above), Jason does mention that he's been working on this for two years now, so they have been in development for a while it seems.
Do you have a link to that podcast episode, Cthulhudrew? I think others would like to listen to that. :)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Morfie wrote:I think it will be successful, but nowhere near as successful as PF1. Pathfinder came in at a time when D&D 4e came out and many people were upset with the new look D&D and thus preferred to go to what looked like an improved version of 3.5, hence why many people consider PF to be D&D 3.75. Their gains were due to WotC losses. PF 2e is coming out when 5e is out and wildly popular. There isn't the market for an alt-D&D as there once was. Will it be D&D 5.25? I don't think so. 5e is still growing and very slowly coming out with new rulebooks.
I honestly think it will be more sucessful than 1E. Having been with the 1E since the Beta softcover release, the system feels stagnant to me and is the reason why I am constantly trying to re-make the core classes. Maybe I'll never stop doing that, but the power desparity between the classes does bug me quite a bit, so I'm hugely looking forward to seeing how the classes get a facelift.

Pathfinder 1.0 is going to continue to be supported. Not by Paizo but they have said that they will allow 3PP material to continue to be published for 1E even after 2E is released.
Morfie wrote:However, PF1 has now been around for 10 years with a very heavy release schedule. The bloat is major at this point, and must be overwhelming to newbies. The PRD is the best bet to start with, but has not been updated in nearly 2 years. The amount of adventure modules out for PF1 is incredible and has surpassed previous D&D editions. There is very little left to cover in terms of new rule sets. There are 6 main bestiaries to choose creatures from. The one-off modules had died, but the AP's are still going. PF is at the saturation point.
I will agree that saturation point has been passed. It was my prediction that 2E was on the way when Paizo started re-releasing the hardcover book in travel sized softcover form.
Morfie wrote:With the advent of D&D 5e, Paizo has seen their share of the market drop significantly. This is why I thought they went the Starfinder way for something different, rather than bringing in a new PF as well.
While Starfinder is its own thing, I want to say that the changes to the D20 system in it are going to be applied to PF 2.0. I really think that the AC overhaul in Starfinder will be present in PF 2.0.
Morfie wrote:Goblin characters: Who cares? D&D research recently showed that Humans, Elves, and Dwarves were overwhelmingly popular as a race choice. Sure, Goblins were in their yearly free modules, but is this really a selling point?
Goblins became increasingly more popular with Paizo breathing more life into them, so yes they are a huge selling point. I am not sure hat I would play one, but I do think it is awesome that they will be a PC race option.
Morfie wrote:10th level Spells: Interesting, but we still only have 20 Character levels. These will have to be either treated differently than Vancian magic, or the Spell Rate of Progression will be quite different and thus more of a challenge to convert.
Less of a challenge than you think. Monte Cook already did this with his Book Of Experimental Might.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:Do you have a link to that podcast episode, Cthulhudrew? I think others would like to listen to that. :)
Here.

I almost never listen to podcasts, but these were awesome. The dynamic of the group is cool and the insight into the rules is amazing. I want to give them a re-listen after the third one is released because they are so enjoyable.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Morfie wrote:I think it will be successful, but nowhere near as successful as PF1. Pathfinder came in at a time when D&D 4e came out and many people were upset with the new look D&D and thus preferred to go to what looked like an improved version of 3.5, hence why many people consider PF to be D&D 3.75. Their gains were due to WotC losses. PF 2e is coming out when 5e is out and wildly popular. There isn't the market for an alt-D&D as there once was. Will it be D&D 5.25? I don't think so. 5e is still growing and very slowly coming out with new rulebooks.
I have very mixed feelings about the Pathfinder/4th Edition Era. I recall a lot of people saying "Pathfinder is better than 4th Edition" back at the time. And I did stick with 3e, so I'm not exactly a fan of 4e. Paizo did some great stuff (and deserve to have praise thrown on them) but I did feel like there was an element of people bashing 4e, because they didn't like the end of 3e support. That Edition War talk left an uncomfortable taste in my mouth and it was quite some time before I felt that I could get objective advice about Pathfinder and 4e.

I now feel like I can talk about both systems (especially on The Piazza) and have people tell me about the stuff they like most about them, without having to wonder if that person is motivated to give helpful advice to a fellow gamer (or motivated to bash WotC or Paizo).

Now is a great time for Pathfinder 2e to get worked on. If that Edition War nonsense is over and done with for good, we can have a clear conversation about features of PF 1e vs the same (or replacement) features in PF 2e. :cool:

And, even if I don't buy Pathfinder Second Edition, I can look at the cool artwork and maybe see if they do additional Distant Worlds support. :)
Morfie wrote:But they will almost certainly take some things from 5e, and do it better. Better because Paizo are RPG focused, have the staff numbers to do it, and don't have Corporate Hasbro with Big Brother MtG breathing down their necks.
Paizo also have the advantage of not needing to bring out Pathfinder Second Edition during the 4th Edition D&D Era or trying to compete with the D&D Next playtest. They literally, can take their time and look out for everything that anyone says is a mistake in 5e and avoid that.

Essentially, they can piggy back on the D&D Next playtest and learn lessons from R&D that WotC paid for. :twisted:
Morfie wrote:It will definitely split their user base.. those with a current campaign going on will be loathe to change. Every new edition splits a user base, and that is natural. There are still OD&D people from the mid-70's who prefer 0e over AD&D 1st edition. If they do it properly - which I believe they will - I'm guessing 80% will pick up PF2 within 2 years.
I think this is partially going to come down to how close 2e ends up being to 1e.

If Pathfinder 1e and Pathfinder 2e are as close together as 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D, there might be more people moving over (and more people buying 2e PF books to use with 1e PF rules).
Morfie wrote:However, PF1 has now been around for 10 years with a very heavy release schedule. The bloat is major at this point, and must be overwhelming to newbies. The PRD is the best bet to start with, but has not been updated in nearly 2 years. The amount of adventure modules out for PF1 is incredible and has surpassed previous D&D editions. There is very little left to cover in terms of new rule sets. There are 6 main bestiaries to choose creatures from. The one-off modules had died, but the AP's are still going. PF is at the saturation point.
With the advent of D&D 5e, Paizo has seen their share of the market drop significantly. This is why I thought they went the Starfinder way for something different, rather than bringing in a new PF as well.
It's interesting that you say the PRD has not been updated for 2 years. That seems to match with the time that Cthulhudrew says the new ruleset has been worked on. A move away from PRD support to R&D support sounds like an explanation for both things.

Do you have a source to back up the market share drop? I've seen people claim all sorts of things about Pathfinder vs 4th Edition, but it's not always easy to get full stats. The only thing I've ever been able to treat as a cold-hard fact is that we have a lot more topics/posts about 4e* than Pathfinder. (There are 306 4e topics with 3243 posts vs 303 PF topics with 1919 posts. And don't forget that 4e's "Points of Light" aka "Nentir Vale" has it's own forum, while Golarion topics are all sitting in the Pathfinder forum, waiting for enough fans to float a bespoke forum request. If you add on the Nentir Vale topics, you get another 116 Nentir Vale topics with 1187 posts.)

* = Part of this could be down to the fact that Zeromaru X is super-awesome at making 4e/Nentir Vale topics interesting. :lol:
Morfie wrote:In terms of what has been said so far:
- Goblin characters: Who cares? D&D research recently showed that Humans, Elves, and Dwarves were overwhelmingly popular as a race choice. Sure, Goblins were in their yearly free modules, but is this really a selling point?
- 10th level Spells: Interesting, but we still only have 20 Character levels. These will have to be either treated differently than Vancian magic, or the Spell Rate of Progression will be quite different and thus more of a challenge to convert.
- Golarion-Infused: This I like, there is still plenty of Golarion left unexplored, even on the main continent.
- Much of the rest seems like they sat in a room and brainstormed things on a whiteboard - Production Values, True to Pathfinder, Heroic Storytelling, etc. I can see cloud diagrams..
- No direct mention of AP's. This was the best thing about PF.
Savage Species allowed for Goblin characters, under 3.0 rules, so Goblin PCs are nothing new. However, I think that Paizo hae a bit of a niche market to their goblins.

10th level spells sound fun. I can see how someone could try to do the sort of thing that Arcane Age did, if Pathfinder Playtest allows for spells that go slightly higher than D&D spells.

Is Golarion-Infused going to be the same as the way that Greyhawk was the backdrop for 3e and Forgotten Realms is the backdrop for 5e?

I think they will continue with APs. But they did say they were switching to shorter (3 part) APs for Starfinder. Maybe they will do that for Pathfinder 2e.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Do you have a link to that podcast episode, Cthulhudrew? I think others would like to listen to that. :)
Here.

I almost never listen to podcasts, but these were awesome. The dynamic of the group is cool and the insight into the rules is amazing. I want to give them a re-listen after the third one is released because they are so enjoyable.
Thanks Angel.

I also found an article by Scott Gladstein called Pathfinder 2nd Edition- Initial Thoughts. He said he has written 100+ 3rd party products for Pathfinder RPG. So it's interesting to see what he thinks.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

I see Pathfinder 2e as a tricky proposition. DD5e is strategically placed between OSR games and 3e SRD in terms of crunch. That is why its so popular. It can satisfy both types of players - more so with the additional book that came out.

Pathfinder on the other hand succeeded because it continued down the 3e SRD tradition. If they move away too much from that, there is a real risk of alienating a lot of customers. Many PF players I know, play it because its a continuation of 3e SRD. They don't like DD5e. But they do like Star Wars SAGA edition. Maybe that is the sweet spot for Pathfinder 2. Streamlined (reduced) skill set but heavily versed in multi-classing, talents and feats.

That being said, there is 0% chance I would move over to Pathfinder 2.0 from DD5. I'm not a fan of the «multi-classing+talents+feats» combo system. Its hard to balance and easily abused.
Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:54 pm

There no way I would ever go to PF 2.0 unless it's a radical departure from the 3.5 ruleset, which it won't be. As a disaffected 3x player, I applauded Paizo when they came out with PF but I have zero interest in it today. Too many rules, much too busy. I've come to loathe the overly scripted APs. These days I'm looking to the past for my D&D. Less rules, more sandbox. Still, it should be fun as a disinterested party to watch this unfold. I'll get my popcorn ready. :D
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Fascinating! Switching to a new edition always involves risk, but I suppose they have a pretty solid base at this point. New core books will mean a lot of revenue too, assuming that the customers are willing to make a switch. Losing customers to 5E is probably less of a problem now since people have already decided whether they are into 5e or not.

Will anything from 1e be useable with 2e?

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Havard wrote:Will anything from 1e be useable with 2e?
I hope so for the poor DMs who bought all the rulebooks over the years. That was the major reason many groups didn't migrate to DD3e from 2e, or from DD4e to 5e. For exemple not being able to use the six PF Bestiaries with PF2e will have the same effect.
Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:33 pm

I guess that the backward compatibility is a big point to consider, but if conversion guidelines are available and the conversion is not too big of a problem, this should work out fine. The move will alienate customers (I already read at least one guy quitting paizo altogether because of this), but then, this is to be expected, and the folks at paizo know this (can´t please all the people all the time, as usual). So, I guess they will aim at making this a "wow, that´s cool" experience that makes people want to change and at the same time lowering the entrance hurdles for newcomers (the core rule book is not beginner-friendly IMO), to make up for the loss. And I´m quite sure that they scrutinized the 5e rules very closely to see what they might want to take from there, within the limits set by the OGL (or whatever it is called right now).

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Two insightful quotes from the Paizo forum :

One quote from a Paizo staff :

------------------------------
2.0 FAQ section :
http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest/faq#v5748eaic9wfk

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 pm

I have mixed feelings about the announcement of PF 2e, but that is not surprising, given that my opinions on PF 1e are already somewhat complicated. My group and I moved from D&D v.3.5 to PF only 4-5 years ago, so in many ways I'm still assimilating the PF 1e rules. Only half of my sizable collection of hardcovers have seen significant use so far, just because there is so much material to delve into and attempt to master. Apart from PFS, I have very little interest in Golarion--I prefer making my own worlds, which the system supports well in its vast variety of options. (One of the big reasons my group switched to PF when we did is because Green Ronin had announced their Kickstarter for a huge new Freeport book that would use PF.)

I was intrigued by many of the changes that appear in Starfinder, but have only had a chance to play it once, so I know very little about how those changes affect play. I gather that PF 2e will be using a lot of the innovations that Starfinder made to the rules, and many others developed since.

I've actually been wondering for a while now that, apart from staying involved in PFS, whether my "Time of the Tarrasque" campaign* might very well be my last long-term Pathfinder campaign. The large amount of crunch in the system fits the kind of setting and feel that I want for that game, but it's also a chore to keep track of it all at times. Unless I specifically decide to run Return to Freeport, my next Freeport game is more likely to be D&D 5e or Fantasy AGE instead, which seem to take much less effort to learn or prep. It will be interesting to see whether PF 2e makes me more or less interested in running future PF campaigns.

(* Still on hiatus, but I hope to change that soon!)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:49 am

The pre-order form has been released and lists the following prices:
  • Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook (Softcover) $29.99, code PZO2100
  • Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook (Hardcover) $44.99, code PZO2100-H
  • Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook (Deluxe Hardcover)$59.99, code PZO2100-SE
  • Pathfinder Playtest Adventure: Doomsday Dawn$24.99, code PZO2100-M
  • Pathfinder Playtest Flip-Mat Multi-Pack $24.99, code PZO2100-FMMP
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:49 am

Morfie wrote:- No direct mention of AP's. This was the best thing about PF.
I haven't seen anything about APs for 2E yet either, but I think it is pretty safe to say that these will remain. Paizo staff have been very transparent that the APs are their bread and butter, and one of the reasons they are able to sell things like the Core rules as essentially "loss leaders," because they more than make up for it in the subscriptions and purchases of the AP line. There is no way I can see them ever getting rid of the APs, although I could potentially see them experimenting with longer and shorter APs (as they are doing with Starfinder).

Return to “The Wishing Well”