Paizo announces Pathfinder (2e) Playtest

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Paizo announces Pathfinder (2e) Playtest

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 am

Tim Baker wrote:The pre-order form has been released and lists the following prices:
Also, I'd note for those curious, the pdf of the Playtest rules will be a free download (as it was during the 1E Alpha and Beta). It is just the physical copy that costs, as this is how Paizo is able to help defray printing costs for it.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:36 am

Cthulhudrew wrote: I haven't seen anything about APs for 2E yet either, but I think it is pretty safe to say that these will remain.
I also am pretty sure this will remain. The APs are indeed their hallmark, dating back from the Dungeon era (2002-2007 - yes, it ended more than a decade ago. Feels like yesterday...). As long as they sell these in the current six-part format, I don´t see them changing that. The contents may change, and have changed somewhat in the past (they had fiction in the first dozen or so issues), and they announced longer adventures, at least for the upcoming "Return of the Runelords" (starting this summer), which will run to 20th level. It is a "never change the winning team" situation, AFAICT. And I´m keeping my charter subscription as long as I can afford it. :D

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:08 am

There's already one post on the new rules:
http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dy ... ut-Actions

It seems that they are indeed simplifying action economy, by replacing the current setup, with seven action types, with just one type of action. The idea is that you have 3 actions and 1 reaction per round, and move, draw, attack all take up one action, whereas spells (or at least most of them) take 2 actions.

GP

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:03 pm

I´ve read some of the comments on the action economy. This is meant to include the iterative attacks (at 0/-5/-10) and probably means that these iterations are available starting at 1st level. Spell casting times might vary, some speculated. Featherfall should be a reaction (otherwise, the spell would be pointless). I could imagine that cantrips are one action, and some more powerful spells that need a full round in 3.x might need three actions. Overall, doing away with the various and at times confusing types of actions seems a good idea, streamlining combat somewhat.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:50 pm

stebehil wrote:I´ve read some of the comments on the action economy. This is meant to include the iterative attacks (at 0/-5/-10) and probably means that these iterations are available starting at 1st level. Spell casting times might vary, some speculated. Featherfall should be a reaction (otherwise, the spell would be pointless). I could imagine that cantrips are one action, and some more powerful spells that need a full round in 3.x might need three actions. Overall, doing away with the various and at times confusing types of actions seems a good idea, streamlining combat somewhat.
They deal with this in the Glasscannon podcast that I mentioned and that TAD linked above. You can indeed attack three times per round even as early as 1st level, with progressively harder chances to hit. Some spells do have casting times of 1 action, such as magic missile. Magic missile isn't used in the podcast, but it is mentioned that you can use from 1 to 3 missiles (each taking one action). Shield costs only one action, but it is a much more active spell than before, acting much like an actual physical shield, so the intent is that you would then use one or more subsequent actions to maneuver your shield to ward off attacks (or magic missiles which it can do in 2E much the way it could in AD&D 1E). Likewise, channeling positive/negative energy can take multiple actions, and gives different effects depending on how many you use. The players use a 3 action channel (I think it was 3) at one point, healing the entire party and obliterating several skeletons attacking them. Also, cantrips seem to use two actions as well; the one cantrip that gets used a lot in the podcast is acid splash, and it costs two actions- one for the verbal component, and one for the somatic. Presumably each different component of the spell costs an action (so adding a material component would then take a third). It would be interesting to see if you could increase your spell's effect by voluntarily adding an extra component.

The changes to action economy are similar- if not entirely the same- as the suggested changes to action economy in Pathfinder Unchained. Likewise, some of the other changes in the game echo some things from Starfinder (characters now get hit points both from class as well as their race).

I'm not likely to be picking up another edition change at this point, but I have been following this all with interest. It's always kind of cool to "see underneath the hood." I suppose I've been intrigued ever since the early days of 3E and trying to piece together all the little bits and pieces and changes to the game from the glut of websites that sprang up just for that purpose (eventually all consolidating largely into Eric Noah's page, which then turned into ENWorld). Hard to believe that was two decades ago now!
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Jason Buhlman explains some of the rules we hear in action in the Glasscannon podcasts: http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dy ... -the-Crypt

Return to “The Wishing Well”