Endless Quest books making a comeback!

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Endless Quest books making a comeback!

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Dungeons & Dragons Endless Quest books are making a comeback! Matt Forbeck is writing four of them and all of his are being released on September 4th!
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Endless Quest books making a comeback!

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:41 am

This is super-exciting news. Granted, the original EQs weren't excellent, but I'm hoping they've learned something about how to make them better over the years, and this might be just the kind of thing the book-publishing industry needs in this day and age.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:44 am

Only a few years late on the product tie-ins!

Big Trouble = Storm King's Thunder/Against the Giants?
Escape the Underdark = Rage of Demons/Drow Series?
Into the Jungle = Tomb of Annihilation/Tomb of Horrors?
To Catch A Thief = Xanathar's Guide?

Published by the same company/imprint that did "Dungeonology" (also by Forbeck)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:47 am

RobJN wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:44 am
Well, that's not a good sign. But those titles do sound evocative. I'd definitely start with "Big Trouble".

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:45 am

Cool. Is there an official announcement somewhere? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:47 am

RobJN wrote:
:lol:

WotC seemed like they were binning the idea of doing anything like novels for D&D. (They have certainly binned the idea of doing novels for Greyhawk, Dragonlance and I think even Eberron.)

I guess this has been about finding a partner company that they trust and getting that company to use authors that know how to do D&D stuff right. Matt Forbeck has history with D&D. I don't think I've read a great deal of his stuff yet, but I have read a bit. And I have no complaints about the books I read. (Perhaps, when I have read more of his stuff, I'll be able to pick up better on his style. :) )
RobJN wrote:
It looks like you might be right, but I'm not totally sure they are tied directly into those adventures. Are you guessing, or did you see something somewhere? From the covers it looked like they had gotten Matt Forbeck to write four choose-your-own-adventure stories based on the four core character classes.
RobJN wrote:
I'm confused about this. Wizards of the Coast said it was Candlewick Press on Twitter. But they shared that from a tweet that Matt Forbeck made and his tweet linked over to a Penguin Random House page for the (new) Endless Quest series. Maybe Candlewick Press is a division of Penguin Random House. :? (When did Penguin Books and Random House merge? :o )

Anyhoo, here is the information for the four books:

Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark
Penguin Random House page for Escape the Underdark wrote:Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark
An Endless Quest Book
By Matt Forbeck
Illustrated by Various
Part of Endless Quest
Category: Children’s Middle Grade Action & Adventure Books | Children’s Picture Books

About Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark

Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you don’t just read a fantastic tale. You become the hero — and choose your own fate.

You awaken in an underground cell, stripped of your armor and your sword. Your fellow prisoners inform you that you’re trapped in the Underdark, soon to be taken to the great drow city of Menzoberranzan and sold off as a slave. But word is that demons are stirring in the underworld’s depth. Perhaps you can use that to break free, fighter.
Dungeons & Dragons: To Catch a Thief
Penguin Random House page for To Catch a Thief wrote:Dungeons & Dragons: To Catch a Thief
An Endless Quest Book
By Matt Forbeck
Illustrated by Various
Part of Endless Quest
Category: Children’s Middle Grade Action & Adventure Books | Children’s Picture Books

About Dungeons & Dragons: To Catch a Thief

Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you don’t just read a fantastic tale. You become the hero — and choose your own fate.

When you tried to pick the pocket of a civilar in the night-shrouded streets of Waterdeep, you never thought she’d catch you — and you never dreamed she’d force you into her service. Now you must find the baby griffon stolen by the beholder Xanathar, leader of the city’s powerful Thieves’ Guild. And if you should fail . . . you can count on spending the rest of your life behind bars, rogue.
Dungeons & Dragons: Into the Jungle
Penguin Random House page for Into the Jungle wrote:Dungeons & Dragons: Into the Jungle
An Endless Quest Book
By Matt Forbeck
Illustrated by Various
Part of Endless Quest

About Dungeons & Dragons: Into the Jungle

The Harpers have lost one of their own, a legendary adventurer named Artus Cimber, keeper of the artifact known as the Ring of Winter. They’ve hired you to travel to the jungle-clad land of Chult to find him. If only you can manage to find Cimber before the frost giants do — or the zombies that infest the land get you first. You’re in the jungle now, cleric.
Dungeons & Dragons: Big Trouble
Penguin Random House page for Big Trouble wrote:Dungeons & Dragons: Big Trouble
An Endless Quest Book
By Matt Forbeck
Illustrated by Various
Part of Endless Quest

About Dungeons & Dragons: Big Trouble

When evil giants attack your home in Ardeep Forest, your parents think you’re dead and they go hunting for your missing little brother. You wake up and set out after them, helped by a giant wizard who lives in a flying tower. You don’t know where they’ve gone, but you know that if you don’t find them, you’re all in big trouble. Wield your magic wisely against the giants, wizard.
Matt Forbeck worked with the Iconics for the 3rd Edition D&D novels (nominally set in Greyhawk). I wonder if these four characters, who they don't even name in the blurb, are 5th Edition's answer to iconics (at least as far as Endless Quest goes). Not naming the characters, and referring to them by the character class, seems pretty similar to the Dragonstrike/Wildspace characters (Dare, Arakeela, Deathmark and Greenthorn) who mostly got referred to by their class in the blurbs for the novels and Endless Quest books they were in.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:12 pm

The target audience is 8-12 and labelled Children’s Picture Books. I'll wait for a review.
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:47 am
RobJN wrote:
:lol:

WotC seemed like they were binning the idea of doing anything like novels for D&D. (They have certainly binned the idea of doing novels for Greyhawk, Dragonlance and I think even Eberron.)
Right. This was why I dug until I found the publisher/imprint, to see if Wizards/Hasbro was going back into the book business or not. Turns out not. Amazon lists Candlewick Entertainment (the entertainment-based imprint of Candlewick Press) as the publisher under the product details for the titles. The Penguin Random house pages to which you linked above also list Candlewick Entertainment as the publisher, so maybe PRH are handling the distribution..?
Big Mac wrote:
RobJN wrote:
It looks like you might be right, but I'm not totally sure they are tied directly into those adventures. Are you guessing, or did you see something somewhere? From the covers it looked like they had gotten Matt Forbeck to write four choose-your-own-adventure stories based on the four core character classes.
My guess to the equivalent adventure path tie-in is just that -- a guess based on the teaser blurb. Rage of Demons, for example, opens with the PCs bound, armoriess, weaponless, captives of the drow.
RobJN wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I'm confused about this. Wizards of the Coast said it was Candlewick Press on Twitter. But they shared that from a tweet that Matt Forbeck made and his tweet linked over to a Penguin Random House page for the (new) Endless Quest series. Maybe Candlewick Press is a division of Penguin Random House. :? (When did Penguin Books and Random House merge? :o )
They merged back in 2013, after the completion of a £2.4 billion merger between Bertelsmann and Pearson to merge their respective trade publishing companies, Random House and Penguin Group.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:45 am

-Havard
I didn't see anything on the Wizbro D&D site -- it's all "watch our streemz" and (Grey)hawking the not-really-Greyhawk Modenkainen's Tome of Foes. :roll:

Of course, the way they've designed that site, I doubt I could find the announcement if it was there. :facepalm:
Rob

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Wow, those covers are awful.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:42 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 pm
Havard wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:45 am

-Havard
I didn't see anything on the Wizbro D&D site -- it's all "watch our streemz" and (Grey)hawking the not-really-Greyhawk Modenkainen's Tome of Foes. :roll:

Of course, the way they've designed that site, I doubt I could find the announcement if it was there. :facepalm:
Perhaps because it is a 3PP release they aren't promoting it as much?

I seem to recall Dungeonology getting a similar non-treatment?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 pm

They will be a good company to the Endless Quests gamebooks I got when I was a kid... :)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:42 pm
Perhaps because it is a 3PP release they aren't promoting it as much?

I seem to recall Dungeonology getting a similar non-treatment?

-Havard
I think an older edition of the Dragon Talk podcast had an interview segment with Forbeck around the time that Dungeonology was released.

Yep, scroll down to the 11/10/2016 show.
Rob

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 pm

I remember the Endless Quest books from my youth. My parents burned them along with a huge portion of my AD&D 2E collection (I miss my Dark Sun stuff) when they thought I was going to become a devil worshiper because of my interest in gaming.
In affectus veritá.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:18 am

Angelika Tatsu wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 pm
I remember the Endless Quest books from my youth. My parents burned them along with a huge portion of my AD&D 2E collection (I miss my Dark Sun stuff) when they thought I was going to become a devil worshiper because of my interest in gaming.
Well that's heavy, sorry to hear that. We never had that sort of branding on D&D in my country.
To my knowledge, Endless Quest books were never translated here, but I have some of the following series, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Gamebooks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... _Gamebooks) which were translated in italian.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 am

Angelika Tatsu wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 pm
I thought the "devil panic" was a thing of the past by the time AD&D 2e went into print :(

Despite living in close contact with the Vatican, in Italy we never experienced anything like that. Some people REALLY are more royalist than the king!

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:27 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 am
Despite living in close contact with the Vatican, in Italy we never experienced anything like that. Some people REALLY are more royalist than the king!
At the risk of getting a bit too political, I think that being "more Catholic than the Pope" or equivalent is a uniquely American attitude (Tatsu can correct me if not from America, but I've never heard of this happening elsewhere and I'd be surprised). This is the county that was founded by Puritans and Quakers and other such religious exiles; for three hundred years, since long before we became independent, we've raised one generation after another in an echo chamber of self-talk based on what the Mayflower colonists wanted to believe, that God himself had chosen this near-perfect site for them to settle in (which really was a wildly improbable coincidence, so you can get how they felt that way). Thusly you have a huge but young country with a lot of people who grew up being convinced they are God's chosen people, but were somewhat isolated from the primary sources of those beliefs, so often didn't fact-check the exact details of their beliefs (pretty sure America also brought us the idea of Cliffs Notes; I'm convinced that very few Christians, particularly American ones, have actually sat down and read the entire Bible, as it's so much more fun to go to church and hear a preacher excerpting the most engaging bits and leaving out "minor" details of the context). This is largely how we got the concept of "manifest destiny" (although good old-fashioned greed was also a factor there), it's probably related to how Mormonism and arguably even Scientology sprang up and became successful here, and it perfectly explains why a bunch of parents here would think a roleplaying game where you can literally go to hell and KILL Satan himself is somehow a tool of the same entity IRL. This is what we have instead of a physical wall we can wail at.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Sturm wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:18 am
To my knowledge, Endless Quest books were never translated [...] in italian.
Endless Quest gamebooks were actually translated (although not all of them) in Italian too (as Avventure Infinite, by Garden Editoriale): http://www.librogame.net/index.php/enciclopedia/libri

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:43 am

I wonder if they will make Endless Quest books for other settings in addition to the Forgotten Realms in the future?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:18 pm

I guess it will depend on the success of these four... :)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Wake me when they write one about an Incarnate....

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:02 am

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 pm
Endless Quest gamebooks were actually translated (although not all of them) in Italian too (as Avventure Infinite, by Garden Editoriale): http://www.librogame.net/index.php/enciclopedia/libri
Thanks, never saw them. In 1986-88 I did not play yet so probably I missed them.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Randall Right wrote this about the new Endless Quest Books :
« They arrived in the mail yesterday; I got all four. Here are some observations.

* These are for readers ages 8-12. You are not going to get a gritty, gameist story out of these. They are to introduce kids to the idea of interactive storytelling.

* There are no dice or character sheets, just text choices with the vague assumption of a predetermined class's features. They will not satisfy someone's desire to "play" D&D.

* Each is about 120 pages long. The pages are small (novel-sized) and the font is huge (16-point?), meaning they read quickly.

* The production quality is high; pages are full color, lots of art (old and new).

* There is essentially nothing novel or innovating that you could learn from these, at least nothing related to single-player interactive adventures using 5e D&D. But if you like other books in the Endless Quest franchise, you might enjoy them. I like looking at them on my bookshelf. »
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:34 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 pm
(quoting another author): "I like looking at them on my bookshelf. »
The glory of modern capitalism; buying books which you know aren't worth reading, just so they can class up your apartment. Coming next: The latest non-edible "fashion foods" from Milan.

Return to “The Wishing Well”