WotC petitioned over 5e Hero Lab/Realm Works content

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

WotC petitioned over 5e Hero Lab/Realm Works content

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Joshua Plunkett has set up a petition called: WOTC - Please license Hero Lab to sell official D&D 5e content! We want to buy your content for use in their digital tools!:
Joshua Plunkett at Change.org wrote:Dear Wizards of of the Coast.

Please let us as consumers give you more money by allowing Lone Wolf Development to sell licensed Dungeons and Dragons 5e content on Hero Lab.

Hero Lab is the character builder of choice for many people. It is a robust and powerful tool which allows us to create and manage our characters and also includes some powerful GM tools for managing combat.

Hero Lab has a number of differences over your current licensed tools in that it is not web based and has a very robust editor allowing us to create custom 'things' for our games. It has robust DM tools for managing combat. It appeals to a different market than the currently licensed tools and is very appealing to those of us who use technology at the table but don't want to use full blown virtual table top software. It's more advanced software than what is currently available and satisfies a different demographic. Not everyone wants simplicity in their tools as simplicity often demands limitations. Hero Lab shines for people who want the freedom to create their own home brew items with everything from Races, Classes, Magic Items, Monsters, custom rules, etc being possible.

We love Dungeons and Dragons 5e and would love to be able to supplement the game with our tools of choice.

PS... please also license Realm Works and Hero Lab Online and just Lone Wolf Development in general. There is already a consumer base here waiting to give you money.

Thanks,
More potential digital consumers.
Do you use Hero Lab, Hero Lab Online or Realm Works?

Would you buy 5th Edition D&D content sold for Hero Lab and other Lone Wolf products?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: WotC petitioned over 5e Hero Lab/Realm Works content

Post by Coronoides » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes I would.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 pm

I have never seen the need for digital systems to generate characters. Why do people find it so useful? Asking because I would like to know :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:17 am

For D&D not as useful as for point based systems like Mutants & Masterminds 3e or GURPS. Good for quickly making higher level characters. Good to have an electronic version of sheets for back-ups, sharing and portability. One issue I have is adding home-brew rules and options is either not supported or (in Herolab's case) requires better computer skills than my old man pre-computer brain has. This last is a big issue for me.

A form-fillable pdf sheet can do most of this
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:06 am

Havard wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 pm
I have never seen the need for digital systems to generate characters. Why do people find it so useful? Asking because I would like to know :)
I use Hero Lab for Pathfinder because: it will handle the tedious math parts of char-gen; you can print out the text for all your special abilities, magic items, and spells for easy reference; the journal feature is handy for tracking XP and gold; and if you use the app during game (rather than a printout), you can quickly apply changes (buffs, damage, conditions, etc.) without having to do the math yourself.

I don't need all of that for 5e, because it's a much simpler system. (I use HeroForge for that system.) However, I would still be interested in Hero Lab for 5e because it has a lot of useful features.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 pm
That's like asking why people find calculators useful. :) If you have ever met a tabletop player that spends ages struggling with creating a PC and levelling up, that's the sort of person that software like Hero Lab is aimed at. Instead of flipping books and looking for rules, the designers get people to import them into some sort of database, where a user can select them all. WotC originally gave away a free CD with the 3e PHB, that had software similar to Hero Lab on it.

The problem with tools like this is that the usefulness comes down to the question: "Are all the rules you want to use available?" That's what this petition is about. They are trying to get more content onto Hero Lab.

There is some information on the Hero Lab website, that shows you the features you can get from it now.

You can also get Hero Lab Starter Edition for free. It's a cut down version of the application that only works with Pathfinder Beginners Box and Evil Hat's Spirit of the Century.

There is even a "Powered by Hero Lab" program, for publishing content that gets supported by Hero Lab. I know you help look after Blackmoor: The MMRPG. It might be possible for you to use that program...or some other way of importing files into Hero Lab, for the folks over at The Comeback Inn to create a Blackmoor Hero Lab collection that includes all the content of those adventures (so that Blackmoor fans that use the MMRPG don't have to type it all in themselves). I bet that, if you asked a few people you knew about "Does anyone want Blackmoor content on Hero Lab" you would find a few people who were interested.

I am not totally sure, but I believe that users of Hero Lab can already buy 5e books and type everything in. But the petition is asking for WotC and Lone Wolf Development to get together and make some sort of downloads that include everything that a Hero Lab user would want to type in.

I don't actually use Hero Lab, so that's about as much as I can tell you.

Realmworks is more like a content management system (CMS), for a GM to organise their game. You could probably use any other CMS to do the same thing. Obsidian Portal have gone the other way and tried to get people to fill up a wiki over on their website...and also run virtual games there.

There is no doubt, that if we are going to have virtual tabletop gaming, we are going to need online tools that do things like this.

I don't know if the industry can try to brute-force things (like WotC has tried to do with D&D Beyond and DMs Guild, where they make all the decisions) or if consumers are going to be able to force some sort of openess, like they are trying with this petition.

I think that my biggest concern with any of these things is that there are licence agreements. And having seen how D&D has discontinued support for Conan, Lankhmar, World of Warcraft, Kingdoms of Kalamar, Paizo's PDF store, DDI and some other things I can't recall, I'm not sure that people buying the electronic content are going to be able to continue to use it.

If I was going to use Hero Lab (and it would be with 3rd Edition) I think I would rather type in 3rd Edition Spelljammer conversions manually, than pay for content that vanishes when 6th Edition D&D comes out.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Wishing Well”