Dune RPG Gale Force Nine!

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Dune RPG Gale Force Nine!

Post by Havard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:10 pm

LEGENDARY ENTERTAINMENT AND THE FRANK HERBERT ESTATE AWARD GALE FORCE NINE MASTER TABLETOP GAMING LICENSE

Tabletop role-playing game planned for late 2019 release, with additional original tabletop games from Gale Force Nine and their sub-licensees to follow

BURBANK, CA – August 6, 2018 – Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties LLC have reached a multi-year licensing agreement with Gale Force Nine (GF9). The award-winning game publisher is now set to bring the beloved sci-fi franchise DUNE to the world of tabletop gaming.

“Gale Force Nine has consistently demonstrated a skill and passion for building successful tabletop game series alongside category leading partners and we are thrilled to announce this exciting addition to the Dune licensing program ,” said Jamie Kampel, Vice President of Licensing & Partnerships for Legendary. “Legendary looks forward to a fun and meaningful contribution to this revered legacy property.”

The agreement calls for Gale Force Nine to produce original tabletop games drawing from the full scope of the Dune franchise—spanning the many publications from Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson—along with multiple direct tie-ins with Legendary’s highly-anticipated film from director Denis Villeneuve.

“This is only the beginning of our big plans in tabletop for this captivating franchise,” says John-Paul Brisigotti, CEO of Gale Force Nine. “Dune is a rich and wonderful universe, and we expect to produce an equally expansive and inspired line of games for years to come.”

The full range of tabletop games, including board and miniatures games are slated to hit the market just prior to Legendary’s theatrical release of DUNE in 2020. In addition, GF9 plans to align with other game companies on numerous categories and formats in the future.
http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=179

This is great news! I am a huge fan of the Dune novels.

Is this the first RPG produced by Gale Force Nine?

Now can we get a re-release of the old LUG version of the Dune RPG designed by Matt Colville? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Dune RPG Gale Force Nine!

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:45 pm

For some reason I thought they were not doing a Dune RPG, just the minis and board games. This is awesome news! :)

Anyone else excited about a Dune RPG? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:48 pm

I nearly plotzed when WotC announced that they were doing a D20 Dune game. Alas, my heart sunk to the depths of despair when the game died before release.

Now my heart is lifted aloft on new wings of wondrous joy with this news.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:10 pm
Now can we get a re-release of the old LUG version of the Dune RPG designed by Matt Colville? :)
What is a LUG version? Is that the name of the rules system?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 pm
Havard wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:10 pm
I have seen photos but that’s the extent of my knowledge
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:30 am

Big Mac wrote:
Name of the company. Last Unicorn Games.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 am

ICv2 says Modiphius will be the partner for the Dune rpg. Logically it will probable be a 2d20 game.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/411 ... s-tabletop

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:11 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 am
ICv2 says Modiphius will be the partner for the Dune rpg. Logically it will probable be a 2d20 game.

Sounds like a good guess. Makes sense that Gale Force Nine picks a partner on this rather than getting into the RPG business themselves.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:11 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 am

Sounds like a good guess. Makes sense that Gale Force Nine picks a partner on this rather than getting into the RPG business themselves.

-Havard
Yes it makes sense. With a release date scheduled for December 2019 that leaves only one year to write and test a rpg. Going with 2d20 seems logical since its a known quantity. The INFINITY version of 2d20 pretty much established all the sci-fi elements (technology, equipment) for the writers of Dune. Its just needs to be adjusted and tailored (voice powers, etc) for the Dune setting.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:59 pm

You can subscribe to follow the development of the game by Modiphious. I did.
https://www.modiphius.com/dune.html

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:30 am
Big Mac wrote:
Thanks Angel.

The Wikipedia article for Last Unicorn Games says the game (Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium) was actually shelved, but revived after LUG got bought by Wizards of the Coast.

Apparently only 3,000 copies were made and most went to GenCon 33 and other conventions and WotC lost the rights to continue the product line.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:30 am
Big Mac wrote:
Thanks Angel.

The Wikipedia article for Last Unicorn Games says the game (Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium) was actually shelved, but revived after LUG got bought by Wizards of the Coast.

Apparently only 3,000 copies were made and most went to GenCon 33 and other conventions and WotC lost the rights to continue the product line.
WotC thought they were going to get the rights to Star Trek. Some speculate that this was the only reason they bought and shut down LUG. Others suspect it was just to shut down competition from a very promising team of designers. The official explanation was that WotC was looking to recruit the talent of this up and coming company.

Regardless, both the rights to Start Trek and Dune were lost, probably due to clauses in the lisencing agreement LUG had obtained and WotC was not able to do anything with them unless you count the GenCon micro release. The d10 based LUG house system was locked into WotC's vault never to be heard from again, although I suppose modern understanding of copyright laws mean that anyone could create an RPG using that system as long as Trade Marked terms etc are avoided.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 pm
Regardless, both the rights to Start Trek and Dune were lost, probably due to clauses in the lisencing agreement LUG had obtained and WotC was not able to do anything with them unless you count the GenCon micro release. The d10 based LUG house system was locked into WotC's vault never to be heard from again, although I suppose modern understanding of copyright laws mean that anyone could create an RPG using that system as long as Trade Marked terms etc are avoided.
I suppose that all depends on if the old system was actually popular enough with the fans. (And if the original Dune RPG had a limited release, there might not be a big enough fanbase.)

Perhaps the new RPG will bring more attention to the old RPG (like it has in this topic).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:25 pm
Havard wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 pm
I suppose that all depends on if the old system was actually popular enough with the fans. (And if the original Dune RPG had a limited release, there might not be a big enough fanbase.)
The LUG RPG would not have much of a fanbase, but the LUG system might have. I heard great things about it, but I never picked it up since at the time it was only available with their various Star Trek RPGs. The LUG game was split into a TOS game, a TNG game, and a DS9 game.

But I know some Dune fans have been waiting for a Dune RPG for ages.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Wishing Well”