[Catalyst Games Lab] BattleTech boardgame Reboot

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Catalyst Games Lab] BattleTech boardgame Reboot

Post by shesheyan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 pm

BattleTech is getting a reboot this fall with two new box sets. An intro box at $20US and a starter set at $60US. The minis are resculpts in plastic. They look much better than the 90s miniatures.

LINK : https://bg.battletech.com/books/upcoming-releases/

As a fan of the MechWarrior Dark Age Clix game I'm really looking forward to get my hands on these. I'm getting ready by building an hex table with terrain (6mm scale). Everything is made either in card board or cork board.
Last edited by shesheyan on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Catalyst Games Lab] BattleTech boardgame Reboot

Post by shesheyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Just my luck! Catalyst announced that the new boxes will not be available in the third quarter. Seems like the over seas manufacturer has not shipped as they were supposed to... no eta as this time. :(

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:41 pm

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:29 pm

I received my box this week. The models are really good. The 2 maps posters thick paper, which is disappointing, but at least they are printed on both sides. The box also includes a set of eight 2D Mech figurine cut outs so you can play with two payers with a single box. The rest of the components are industry standard. The game is playable in two modes. The Alpha Strike data card rules-light version available for free in PDF or the classic Battletech full page profil for each mech.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Finished painting the 8 Mechs of the Armored Combat box.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:30 am

A few picture of our first game BT game last night. It was great fun. 4 mechs against 4. We had to take control of a thermal station.

At mid game it looked like I would loose badly but I was able to maneuver and score critical hits destroying 3 enemy mechs. It was down to my Griffin size 2 vs the enemy Awesome size 4. Out was outsized and outgunned but managed to survive 3 others turns before loosing my Griffin and loosing the game.

Enemy Lance

My lance

TURN 2 • The enemy approaches for the North (image top) while I advance from the South (bottom)

Shadow Hawk kills my Locust

My Griffin finishes the Shadow Hawk

My Griffin destroys the enemy Commando

The enemy Awesome destroys my Griffin • End Game

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sat May 11, 2019 4:25 pm

When we first started playing Battletech, I had a Griffin in a couple of matches. Every time the Griffin would end up in hand to hand and take down his opponent. We referred to them as Ninja Griffins. (Granted if he got into hand to hand with an Awesome that probably would have been the end of that.)

I take it you were playing the rules-lite version. Did you like it better than the original?
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 pm

dulsi wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:25 pm
When we first started playing Battletech, I had a Griffin in a couple of matches. Every time the Griffin would end up in hand to hand and take down his opponent. We referred to them as Ninja Griffins. (Granted if he got into hand to hand with an Awesome that probably would have been the end of that.)

I take it you were playing the rules-lite version. Did you like it better than the original?
Yes we used the «Alpha Strike» pre-made profil cards and quick start rules. It' plays very fast. 90 minutes for 12 turns. My only other experience with BT was during the Wizkids Mech Warrior Dark Age clix game. Never played the original version with all the damage boxes.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun May 12, 2019 2:02 am

I had seen posts from you about war games and Mech Warrior Dark Age. I just assumed you had played the original Battletech. Maybe I'll just try the pdf with my brother. Skimming through the Alpha Strike rules suggests I'll miss the detail of the original game. (But then again I don't have the time for the original.)
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun May 12, 2019 3:22 am

I've not heard of BattleTech in a very long time, the project does look intriguing. I may have to check out the game at some point.

Return to “The Wishing Well”